PDA

View Full Version : Hacked email accounts warning

badger
25-Apr-13, 11:13
I have had several emails in the past few days from people whose accounts have obviously been hacked. Unusually these have some text in the message rather than just a link so some might be caught out and think they are genuine, particularly as they will come from people they know. The message is

Single Mom Makes $89,844/Yr in Her Spare Time on The Computer Without Selling Anything

followed by a .url, different in every one that I've had. Friends of mine have also had them. Because they all came from people with BT accounts and all fairly local I phoned the police on 101 who have promised to contact BT. Meantime, if you get one - don't click the link and it's kind to phone the sender to warn them as if no-one tells them they won't know they've been hacked. It's a scary world out there :~(

mi16
25-Apr-13, 11:59
Yeah I have had those also.
I had my hotmail hacked once and was a real pain in the backside to get it sorted out.
I am surprised that the police were interested in something as trivial as this though.

jacko
25-Apr-13, 16:45
i get loads a crap like that . i just delete without opening them. yes im bt as well

orkneycadian
25-Apr-13, 17:25
A normal day on the internet!

badger
26-Apr-13, 20:51
The difference with these was that they were all from BT account holders, i.e. people whose addresses were @btinternet.com, and I couldn't face talking to India. We all get lots of these but it's the first time I've had so many the same in such a short time, and found friends had the same, so thought for once I'd do something. Bit surprised others don't bother letting the "senders" know - if no-one tells them how will they know they have been hacked and need to change their password?

andyw
26-Apr-13, 23:01
Had the same email

ywindythesecond
26-Apr-13, 23:26
i get loads a crap like that . I just delete without opening them. yes im bt as well
I think you have missed the point. If you got that "mums" message, the person who sent it to you, presumably a friend or acquaintance as you are on their address list, has been hacked and doesn't know it, and you should let them know.

mi16
27-Apr-13, 06:36
if you look at your sent items you will see what rubbish your account has been sending and to whom.