PDA

View Full Version : Gmail

fiftyseven
23-Feb-05, 18:39
"What is Gmail?

As part of Google's mission to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful, we're testing an email service called Gmail.

Gmail is a free, search-based webmail service that includes 1,000 megabytes (1 gigabyte) of storage. The backbone of Gmail is a powerful Google search engine that quickly finds any message an account owner has ever sent or received. That means there's no need to file messages in order to find them again.

When Gmail displays an email, it automatically shows all the replies to that email as well, so users can view a message in the context of a conversation. There are no pop-ups or untargeted banner ads in Gmail, which places relevant text ads and links to related web pages adjacent to email messages. "

"We're currently only offering Gmail as part of a preview release and limited test. We don't have details on when Gmail will be made more widely available, as that depends in part on the results of the test. "

Taken from http://gmail.google.com/gmail/help/about.html

It's still in beta, but i've been using it for months now, and it's without a doubt, in my view, the best web mail at the moment. Like I said, it's still in beta, but it's working fine. Because of this, you cant just sign up randomly, instead, it's invite only.

So, if you would like to give it a try, PM me with your current address, and i'll give you an invite. I've got 50.

Colin Manson
24-Feb-05, 02:06
I've been using Gmail for months as well but unfortunately it doesn't work all of the time. Sometimes it's accessible from some countries but not from others, at times it doesn't seem to work for anyone.

It is very nice and atm it is great for being spam free but I wouldn't want to use it for anything important. It's not great when you need to get access but the site seems to be down. [evil]

caisha
24-Feb-05, 10:33
I've been using Gmail for the past few months too with no complaints! I don't think I've ever found the site down and I like the fact that it can be downloaded to an email program as well as viewed on the net.

Tic Chick
24-Feb-05, 14:25
I too have used it for the past few months and have never found the site to be down.

Definitely the best web based email I've ever used.

Doolally
24-Feb-05, 21:37
I use Gmail also and find it works really well. I've never had any problems. The storage space for emails is huge and rather than trudge looking for a old email, the search facility is spot on.

I think it's still invitation only though. Perhaps Gmail users here could send invites to anyone that wants one. I'll certainly send invites out to anyone who has a look at the email and thinks it will be of benefit to them. Just PM me your First and Surname and your email address.

I think I've got about 100 invites left so plenty to go around. There was a limit of 6 but Google is expanding this to get more new users now.