PDA

View Full Version : John Munro, shoemaker/William Steven shoemaker

Angela
11-Jan-07, 22:35
I'm trying to discover more about John Munro, son of Robert Munro & Marjory Cumming, b. Wick (probably Sarclet), 1846. (My gt gt uncle).

1861: aged 15, living at Sarclet, apprentice shoemaker.

1871: unmarried, aged 24 (near enough!) shoemaker, boarder with Margaret Miller (aged 50, b. Thrumster) and her son William, at 1 Kinnaird Street, Pultneytown, Wick.

May be a possible connection with Ulbster/Sarclet Millers (his grandmother was a Miller).

There may also be a connection with William Steven who was lodging with the Munros at Sarclet in 1851. He was a journeyman shoemaker, then aged 20, b. Wick abt 1831.

Any info at all would be very welcome.

Cheers
Angela

baikie
14-Jan-07, 23:10
Johns Brother William Was My Great Grandfather The Whole Family Where In Sarclet In The 1861 Census Johns Grandparents Where Alexander Cumming & Jane Miller Married In Latheron 28/2/1812

baikie
14-Jan-07, 23:16
Johns Father{ Robert Munro} His Parents Where John Munro & Margaret Gunn

Angela
14-Jan-07, 23:22
Johns Brother William Was My Great Grandfather The Whole Family Where In Sarclet In The 1861 Census Johns Grandparents Where Alexander Cumming & Jane Miller Married In Latheron 28/2/1812

Well, good news...:D

John and William's brother Robert Munro was my gt grandfather, (his son, also Robert, my grandad) so we are distant cousins - - I have plenty of info about Robert and his family, and some about their sister Jane, (m. George Miller, Wick, 1880), but none at all about William after 1861 and very little about John and Alexander.

If you'd like to share info that would be great, please PM me if you prefer.

Thanks a lot
Angela

Angela
14-Jan-07, 23:30
Johns Father{ Robert Munro} His Parents Where John Munro & Margaret Gunn

That's what I think too - or I did until a few days ago.

From the earlier Robert's (b.Halkirk 1820) death cert, and from the census I have his parents as John Munro & Mgt Gunn, but I looked just recently at IGI and it gives the marriage of John Munro & Barbara Gunn at about the right time, and the birth of Robert at Halkirk to them at the right time also. It provides the names of a few more older children as well, who would fit in the rather big gap between Robert & the younger ones....

So I'm not quite certain. But you may well know more than I do?

baikie
15-Jan-07, 00:05
1861 Census Lochside Sarclet Robert 40, Marjory 39, John 15, Alexander 13, Robert 9 William 7 Jane 5