PDA

View Full Version : Keiths at Castle of Mey

Angela
09-Jan-07, 12:48
My gt aunt Esther Mowat from Wester, Wick, m. Angus Keith, (shepherd, b. Reay, later Dunnet) in 1899. His parents were John Keith and Charlotte Simpson (from Canisbay).

In 1901 they were at Skinnet, Halkirk.

Two of their daughters (my mother's first cousins) Agnes and Etta (Esther) Keith worked at the Castle of Mey up to the 1960s I think. I believe one of them was the housekeeper.

Etta was born in 1902, Agnes later. I don't think either of them married.

I did meet them at the castle as a child and would be delighted to have any info about them, or their siblings. They had a least one brother, John, and another sister, Ellen.

Cheers
Angela

Mamie_2
23-Jan-07, 15:30
Hej Angela

Can't help with your cousins but Angus Keith is one of mine through his mother Charlotte lol.

Do you have more information on his father? I know he was born around 1833 in Latheron but that's all I have.

Maryann

Angela
23-Jan-07, 15:56
Hi Maryann,
Great! :)
Yes, I do have more info on his father and will PM it to you.
Cheers
Angela

joakes
23-Jan-07, 18:18
Hope you don't mind me asking and it is a long shot - but do you have a James Keith in your tree. He was a blacksmith 1820 at Stirkoke Wick. I ask because he appears on a lot of certificates for my James Ferguson with whom I have hit a brickwall and wondered if J Ferguson appeared on any of James Keith certs.

Jean:roll:

Angela
23-Jan-07, 18:44
Hi Jean

I'm afraid the only James Keith I have is a lot later, a brother of Angus.

Angus's father was John Keith, shepherd, born abt 1830, Dunbeath, and HIS father was also a John Keith, fisherman, his mother was Mary Gunn.

I can't see any connection with Stirkoke or with any Fergusons, sorry. :(

Always worth a try though, it's amazing what connects up! :)

Angela

joakes
23-Jan-07, 18:51
Thanks anyway

Jean

Mamie_2
24-Jan-07, 03:00
I have one born in 1826 in Olrig. Any help??

Angela
24-Jan-07, 11:29
I have one born in 1826 in Olrig. Any help??
Does he fit in with Angus's family at all?

Mamie_2
25-Jan-07, 17:13
Hej Angela

I haven't found any tie-ins between Angus Keith and the James Keith born 1826 in Olrig. James parents were Alexander Keith and Margaret Bremner.

The family consisting of Alexander a farmer/tailor, Margaret (they married in 1823)
Peter 1824, James 1826, William c 1828, David 1830 a baker in 1851, Janet 1831, George 1835 a tailor in 1851, Julia AKA Gillis 1837 and lived in Tain in 1841 and 1851.

Since both families contain a Peter maybe they are related somehow? Haven't looked that closely at Keith genealogy in Caithness.

Alexander's father is thought to be William Keith with his mother being Gill or Gealoch Swanson.

Margaret Bremner's parents I am not sure of.

Angela
25-Jan-07, 18:03
I was thinking that Peter Keith, bro. of Angus, might have been named for someone in his mother's family -Charlotte's brother Peter Simpson, or possibly going further back to her mother Helen Bremner's family? :confused

Mamie_2
25-Jan-07, 18:58
I would say you were most likely right.

I expect he could have been named for Charlotte's eldest brother Peter Simpson who was in turn named for his grandfather Peter lol.

I do now have an exact birth and christenimg date for Angus' father John. He was an "only" child??

b.
Oct 11, 1830

chr.
May 3, 1831 Latheron

IGI C110384 1820 - 1855 0990522 Film 6902337 Film

Maryann

Angela
25-Jan-07, 19:49
Hi Maryann
Thanks for the info about John. :) I hadn't got as far as Charlotte & Peter's grandparents either.
I have more info about the younger Peter's family - if you'd like it, I can PM you.
Cheers
Angela

Mamie_2
25-Jan-07, 20:10
Yes I would love any information on the Keith siblings that you might have.

BTW have you done any research in Canada for the Mowat brother's?

Think I have found Charles with family on the 1911 Canada Census in
Vancouver. I can look for the other's as well if you like.

Could send you the image if you like?

I will PM you with my direct email addy.

Maryann