PDA

View Full Version : Mystery of Alexander Henderson & Janet Banks

sgmcgregor
14-Mar-13, 21:10
Hello,

I was hoping that there may be someone researching the same family, and that they could solve a mystery for me.

I have an Alexander Henderson and Janet Banks marrying on 21 September 1866 in Thurso. Alexander was the son of Alexander Henderson and Christina Coghill, and Janet Banks was the daughter of Donald Banks and Margaret Henderson. Janet Banks was the sister of Elizabeth Banks (my Great Great Grandmother).

The couple had a son John Coghill Henderson, born 20 September 1868 at Backless, Watten.

However, the couple disappear from the records after 1868 - I have been unable to find them at all.

I thought I had found the couple still living in Wick, but the couple that are recorded are in fact Alexander Henderson and Janet Tait. The confusion arose because they also had a son John Henderson, and I merrily wondered down this path for a while until I realised my mistake.

If anyone can help shed some light on what happened to this family, I would be very greatful.

Steven

susan.leith
14-Mar-13, 22:51
Could this be the family you are looking for? All born Watten

1881 Scotland Census
Name: Alexr Henderson
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1848
Relationship: Head
Spouse's name : Jessie Henderson
Where born: Watten, Caithness
Registration number: 571
Registration district: Mearns
Civil parish: Mearns
County: Renfrewshire

Household Members:
Name Age
Alexr Henderson 33
Jessie Henderson 35
Christina Henderson 14
John Henderson 12

Durran
14-Mar-13, 23:30
Hi Steven,

Christina and John C Henderson appear as lodgers, aged 4 and 2, in 1871 at Backless, Watten. They are staying with John Coghill and his two unmarried sisters Isabella and Helen.

As an aside, are you interested in your Gt Gt Grandmother's next elder sibling Donald Banks? He was the equivalent of best man at the marriage in 1859 of my great grandparents, James Durran (Durham) and Elizabeth Robertson. Donald emigrated to New Zealand in 1863 and then returned to Caithness to marry Jessie Robertson, Elizabeth's sister. He returned to NZ with his wife (I have a 4-generation photo including her) and he died in Christchurch in 1922 and is buried in Rangiora Cemetery (I have photo of stone with living descendant, Jock Tomlinson, standing alongside).

John

sgmcgregor
15-Mar-13, 06:14
John,

Thanks for the reply. How did I fail to find the 1871 Census?! Anyway, do you have any idea of where the parents Alexander and Janet were at this time? Also, does the information that Susan posted match up too? (Thank you, Susan).

Ignoring the fact that the Jessie she found is using the surname Henderson (her mother's maiden name - if it is the right person), the details seem to be a good match. I hadn't been aware of Christina Henderson before either, so I seem to have missed that too. I think I'll have to have a trawl around on Scotlands People to see exactly what is what.

As for Donald Banks in New Zealand, you had kindly pointed me in the right direction on him previously. You did also already send me a copy of his grave in Rangiora Cemetery, but I wasn't aware of the other photograph you mentioned - the 4 generation photograph. You probably still have my email address from before, and I would be interested to see the photograph.

Janet is the one final sibling I had to pin down in this Banks family as I had managed to trace everyone else. So thank you for all of the help (again!).

Regards,
Steven

David Banks
10-Apr-13, 23:24
I have an Elizabeth Banks in my family tree. She was born in Canisby on 7th August, 1835, and had a sister Jean Banks born 25th March, 1839. Their parents were Jane Innes and David Banks.

My records are not perfect, so maybe Jean and Janet could be the same person?

If this sounds probable, I can get you more information going back in time.

sgmcgregor
11-Apr-13, 18:49
David,

Thanks for posting your information.

I'm afraid to say that there isn't a link between the people you mention, and my family tree.

My Banks family does have an Elizabeth Banks (my G.G. Grandmother) who was born 24 May 1838, and also the Janet Banks I mentioned in my first post. Janet was born 14 April 1844.

The parents of Elizabeth and Janet were Donald Banks and Margaret Henderson who were married in Bowermadden on 28 June 1828. Donald is as far back as I have managed to go as the 1841 census merely identifies his birthplace as England. Unfortunately I have no greater clue than this as the 1841 census did not record specifics.

Regards,
Steven