PDA

View Full Version : The St Clair boat

Angela
07-Jan-07, 20:06
I've just found some (very nice) photos of my Mum and her two brothers on a boat -she had written on the back "going home on the St Clair in 1930".

She was Zandra Munro - her brothers were Bob and Dave (parents Robert Munro and Christina Mowat) and although all born in Leith, home was definitely Caithness. In 1920 they would have been in their teens. They used to go back and stay at/near Halkirk.

Does anyone know anything about the St Clair or how I could get info about it?

Thank you....:)

Jeemag_USA
07-Jan-07, 20:14
I've just found some (very nice) photos of my Mum and her two brothers on a boat -she had written on the back "going home on the St Clair in 1930".

She was Zandra Munro - her brothers were Bob and Dave (parents Robert Munro and Christina Mowat) and although all born in Leith, home was definitely Caithness. In 1920 they would have been in their teens. They used to go back and stay at/near Halkirk.

Does anyone know anything about the St Clair or how I could get info about it?

Thank you....:)

The St Ola, St Clair and St Magnus were all ships of the P&O line, maybe you should contact P&O Ferries for information. Try this link http://www.poferries.com/tourist/content/pages/template/_footer_about_P&O_Ferries_about_P&O_Ferries.htm

I believe the St Clair at that time runs from Leith,Edinburgh to Orkney and Shetland, and like most of their ferries when replaced with a newer boat they kept the same name, I think the St.Ola is now in its third guise, don't quote me on that though.

I just found out some more info, the second St Clair was built in 1937, so your St Clair was the original St Clair, but haven't found a photo of it yet. Assume it would have been decomissioned around 1936 or 37.

golach
07-Jan-07, 21:26
the Company was origionally the North of Scotland Orkney and Shetland Steamship Company long before it was taken over by P&O.
I served on the St Magnus in 1960 sailling from Leith to Lerwick via Aberdeen and Kirkwall a 5 day round trip. The Magnus at that time was the oldest of the fleet, the others sailing from Leith were bigger and more modern the
St Clair and the St Ninian, also sailing at that time from Scrabster to Stromness daily was the St Ola III., Sailing round the Shetland Isles at this time also was the Earl of Zetland.
This company had many vessels from the late 1800's all with the prefix St and all called after Northern Saints.

trinkie
07-Jan-07, 21:39
Thank you Golach,

My grandfather had been Purser on the St Ola in the late 1890s ( could have been the first St Ola) he was based in Kirkwall. Then he was the Steamboat Agent in Wick. I think the Wick Office was burnt down, but if anyone can find an old picture of it, I'd be very pleased.

Trinkie

Jeemag_USA
07-Jan-07, 22:57
I know this is a little off topic, but can anyone remember the name of the black and white war film made where a good part of it was based on the Ola crossing from Stromness to Scrabster, I'd really like to see it again but can't remember the title? Was it "The Spy in Black" or was it another film, I remember them on the OLA high tailing it towards Scrabster or somehwere anyway.

Angela
07-Jan-07, 23:07
Thank you Golach,

My grandfather had been Purser on the St Ola in the late 1890s ( could have been the first St Ola) he was based in Kirkwall. Then he was the Steamboat Agent in Wick. I think the Wick Office was burnt down, but if anyone can find an old picture of it, I'd be very pleased.

Trinkie
Thank you everybody for all this great info.

On a similarly maritime theme -but not directly connected - I remember going on a day trip to Orkney in the spring of 1974.

Quite a small boat took you from John o' Groats rather than Scrabster (I think) to St Margaret's Hope, and then there was a minbus over the causeways to Kirkwall.

I don't know if this service lasted for long but it was a good day out! :D

Angela

Jeemag_USA
07-Jan-07, 23:11
Thank you everybody for all this great info.

On a similarly maritime theme -but not directly connected - I remember going on a day trip to Orkney in the spring of 1974.

Quite a small boat took you from John o' Groats rather than Scrabster (I think) to St Margaret's Hope, and then there was a minbus over the causeways to Kirkwall.

I don't know if this service lasted for long but it was a good day out! :D

Angela

That boat would have been the Souter's Lass at that time I think?