PDA

View Full Version : To move or not to move

Baspegpet
03-Mar-13, 17:39
Hi all,Just found this forum and found it very interesting. In 2010 there was a thread about someone moving from Nottingham to Thurso. My partner and I are also wondering whether to move to Caithness for the peace and quiet but as we were only in the area once on our way to the Orkneys, it is hard to tell how accepting/friendly people are there. Also, we ask ourselves what we would do with ourselves? We are very much into animal rescue (we have 5 dogs).How accepting are the communities of same sex couples?Looking forward to hearing some comments (nice ones, I hope!).

sids
03-Mar-13, 18:44
sex couples?

Thursday evenings in Halkirk. Any house with pampas grass out front.

motopitcrew
03-Mar-13, 19:00
ghost towns no locals friendly towards outsiders probably no even welcome on deserted island

sids
03-Mar-13, 19:06
Local shortages include grammar and punctuation.

Baspegpet
03-Mar-13, 19:24
ghost towns no locals friendly towards outsiders probably no even welcome on deserted islandI don't even understand this message!

billmoseley
03-Mar-13, 19:42
we came up from england 3 1/2 years ago and moved in to a crofting village best thing we ever did we have been accepted and would never move away

sids
03-Mar-13, 19:48
we came up from england 3 1/2 years ago and moved in to a crofting village best thing we ever did we have been accepted and would never move away

Once in, never out. Baspegpet, be warned.

sids
03-Mar-13, 19:49

Hold on- you're in Sutherland!

rich62_uk
03-Mar-13, 19:50
Been here a few years now and love it would never consider moving back.

Local people are friendly as long as you are not hell bent on changing things and I dont blame them its perfect as it is.

I know several gay people and they dont seem to have any problems. I think its down to how you are as a person rather than your nationality or sexual interests.

joxville
03-Mar-13, 19:50
Ignore the above comments :-( I moved to Caithness after only a couple of visits and found people very friendly and welcoming, though I guess they have a similar attitude as other towns towards same sex couples, most either not bothered or tolerant, but you'll always get the homophobic knuckle-draggers wherever you go. I lived there for 11 years, from '91-'02 and can honestly say they were the happiest years of my life, I still miss the place even now. The countryside is beautiful, no pollution, and brilliant night skies when it's not cloudy. I'd say go for it. You might miss your hometown but the peace and solitude, and an easier way of life will more than make up for it.

ducati
03-Mar-13, 20:10
Lots of animal charities to get involved in KWK9, Cats Protection, Lab Rescue, there is even a Divers Sea Mammal Rescue organisation. We have been here 5 years and would not leave.

Baspegpet
03-Mar-13, 20:37
Hi all, I've had some really good and helpful responses. If everyone is as friendly as you, then I have no doubt about moving - despite the wind/rain.

pig whisperer
03-Mar-13, 22:12
Moved here 6.1/2 years ago , we have fantastic neighbours, & we find people to be welcoming, the weather is interesting & keeps you on your toes, scenery stunning, sky huge & full of stars [on a clear night] slight wind turbine overload, delivery charges can be ridiculous, but we love Caithness & couldnt imagine living anywhere else