PDA

View Full Version : Halkirk - good place to live?

nicirvin
16-Feb-05, 12:27
I'm considering a move to Caithness, and wondered what you can tell me about Halkirk.

Rheghead
16-Feb-05, 12:31
It is the first planned village in Scotland, the food in the Ulbster arms is good, there are nice walks in the area, and it is nicely placed in caithness between thurso, wick and scooting down to inverness.

Alexander Rowe
16-Feb-05, 13:16
Very small and quiet. Great if thats what your looking for, close enough to Thurso.

Just dont tell macc what to do !! :evil [mad]

doreenhedgehog
17-Feb-05, 00:08
Great for drinking and debauchery. Allegedly. ;)

janette
17-Feb-05, 17:52
Must strongly disagree with doreenhedgehog. A great place. Been here a long time. Lots of new houses. One disadvantage is that there is only one shop, but Thurso is very near, and Inverness is only just over 2 hours away. Won't mention Wick ,as its beyond mention.

halkirk1
17-Feb-05, 18:30
Ignore Doreenwarthogs comments:

Halkirk is a great place to live. I moved up here with my family 4 years ago from Central Scotland and I can never imagine living in a large town/city again.

The people are really friendly and always stop for a chat.

It's a great place to bring up children (the main reason we moved up here), with a fantastic school.

There is only one shop, but it is a good shop and Thurso is only 10 minutes away by road if you want to go to a supermarket etc.

All in all it is just a really safe and pleasant place to live and I cannot imagine ever leaving here, it's just great.

doreenhedgehog
17-Feb-05, 18:51
Totally agree, plus drinking and debauchery. Perfect really.

ajr
17-Feb-05, 22:02
Great place to live with nice walks, one large Mace shop, a post office, electrical shop where you can buy literally everything you would ever want, a couple of churches and a primary school for the kids. Plent of evening activities such as youth club, mother and toddlers group, brownies etc etc

Highly recommend it.

2little2late
17-Feb-05, 22:15
I must say, you should all be ashamed of yourselves. One post is slagging Southerners off for living in Caithness and here you go again trying to put people off wanting to move North.

Well if I were you nicirvin I wouldn't even bother giving the Northerners the pleasure of your company.

As for maureenhedgehog maybe she gives in to debauchery.

doreenhedgehog
17-Feb-05, 22:35
singapore, do I detect a sense of humour bypass?

I'm not trying to put people off coming to Caithness at all. If anybody has cancelled plans to move to Caithness because I said there was debauchery in Halkirk, please reconsider, as I was only joking. Halkirk has no more drinking and debauchery than any other town or village. Just more gossips.

daviddd
17-Feb-05, 23:23
Great for drinking and debauchery. Allegedly. ;) mmm - I've heard about that too :cool:

postie
17-Feb-05, 23:53
Haven't you heard we're actually called "the village of the damned" because we all look alike, not sure why! Now where did i put my vodka?

webmannie
17-Feb-05, 23:59
What no debauchery?

Quick cancel the house sale Mavis we aren't moving to Halkrik anymore.

postie
18-Feb-05, 00:07
Well you know how we don't like to gossip..........but don't tell anyone but we meet at midnight on a full moon under the bridge and play debuachery bring your own bottle.

Seriously I wouldn't live anywhere else.

luskentyre
21-Feb-05, 01:14
Won't mention Wick ,as its beyond mention.

Without straying too far off-topic, comments like that help noone.

21-Feb-05, 16:06
GREAT PLACE HALKIRK

Spent some time there in my youth and thoroughly enjoyed it all.
Great people, friendly and caring.
Like all small communities perhaps suffer from gossip and petty jealousies, but hey ! life is what you make it........
All the commercial & social facilites are there, shop, two pubs, good electrical retailer, garage with petrol etc, plenty stuff for the adults & kids to do such as horses (TWO good equestrian centres nearby), fishing, football, bowling, etc, etc, etc AND the world-famous Halkirk Highland Games.
Thurso only a short drive away, with all the advantages of a reasonably sized town.
However, like all communities or maybe Britain in general we tend not to give credit where its due.
In my honest opinion you can't get much better for a local community..... at least there is a sense of community in Halkirk, which isnt evident in other small places....

katarina
21-Feb-05, 20:05
[
In my honest opinion you can't get much better for a local community..... at least there is a sense of community in Halkirk, which isnt evident in other small places....[/quote]

Can't think of one small place where it isn't

Whitewater
22-Feb-05, 12:21
Caithness is a pretty good place to live, no matter where, atthe end of the day it comes down to personal choice.

Ignore the comments Janette made adout Wick. It is as good as the other towns, neither better or worse, it is the County town and as such is the place of the Sheriff Court
Perhaps Janette has had a bad experience there or maybe a failed romance ???

Who Knows ?? :roll: