PDA

View Full Version : The Wick and the Thurso 'Charrette'

Jalna
23-Feb-13, 13:40
Just wondering if any one went along to the first day of the Thurso and Wick Charrette events, the second day being today Saturday. If you did, were you there on your own behalf or there to represent an organisation.
It occurred to me that the timing of the Workshops and discussions on Friday and Saturday would exclude any individual who was interested from going as they would most likely be working during the hours of the consultations.

So although the wording in the information is encouraging local people to attend and influence the 'Future Shaping of your Town' it is not really making it easy for the actual communities to participate, therefore the end result will not be a true picture of the feelings of the Community as a whole.

If the only people who attend the events are Councillors, Local Authority representatives, representatives of local businesses, Charities, Housing Associations and similar bodies, how can any End Report be broad-based and inclusive of the actual feelings of Local Community as a whole.

Anyway as I said I was just wondering if anyone attended and what their impressions were of the the 'Charrette'.

MerlinScot
23-Feb-13, 17:22
If the only people who attend the events are Councillors, Local Authority representatives, representatives of local businesses, Charities, Housing Associations and similar bodies, how can any End Report be broad-based and inclusive of the actual feelings of Local Community as a whole.

I didn't go for that reason. I had thought of going but then... I got discouraged and stayed home.

Dadie
24-Feb-13, 00:15
I was in the assembly rooms in Wick today, for other reasons, and thought about popping in ....but didnt feel welcome..
I looked in the door and felt like a spare part...then about turned.

secrets in symmetry
24-Feb-13, 01:31
Good question K. Was it charrette or charade?

Alice in Blunderland
24-Feb-13, 09:38
Charrette or Charade hhhhmm....I will reserve judgement until the final outcome is known I hope to have a chance to pop along tonight. I was determined to go along on Thursday to this however circumstances prevented me. I had lots of ideas and comments and I thought it would be good to contribute to the process but the feedback I have received has not been shall we say positive. A bit unorganised, late to start on the first morning, plenty of council officials and not very many locals lots of photos being taken, also as Dadie said not very welcoming.This was an opportunity for local voices to be heard lets hope they were truly listening to the ones who did manage to go along and give input into the process.

Kodiak
24-Feb-13, 13:57
Interesting this, or is it, for I have not heard of this before. Can smeone explain exactly what is a "Charrette" It sounds like something you would smoke.

Shaggy
24-Feb-13, 14:19
It sounds like something you would smoke.

could it be a charrette of fire? :roll:

Jalna
25-Feb-13, 02:20
I was in the assembly rooms in Wick today, for other reasons, and thought about popping in ....but didnt feel welcome..
I looked in the door and felt like a spare part...then about turned.

Charrette or Charade hhhhmm....I will reserve judgement until the final outcome is known I hope to have a chance to pop along tonight. I was determined to go along on Thursday to this however circumstances prevented me. I had lots of ideas and comments and I thought it would be good to contribute to the process but the feedback I have received has not been shall we say positive. A bit unorganised, late to start on the first morning, plenty of council officials and not very many locals lots of photos being taken, also as Dadie said not very welcoming.This was an opportunity for local voices to be heard lets hope they were truly listening to the ones who did manage to go along and give input into the process.

I read the information leaflet which they included in the info and wasn't sure who they really wanted to come along to the events.
It said that you were welcome to pop in even for a short while, or a few hours, or stay to join in.
But if you look at the daily programmes for Friday and Saturday the first thing it says is to 'sign in'. This to me implied an expectation that anyone attending would be there for the whole day not just to visit for a short while if you wished.
It saddens me to hear that you didn't feel welcome because, for a project like this to work, everyone who walked in the door should have been greeted and warmly welcomed, with a summary of what would be happening. After that you could decide whether to stay or not. If they are truly looking for the local communities ideas and suggestions then when members of that community come along they should be welcomed with open arms.

I look forward to some feed back about the 'Charrette'. :)

Alice in Blunderland
25-Feb-13, 07:03
I did manage to pop into last nights meeting in Wick. I found the talk positive and a few good points covered. The attendance was poor given that this is the chance for local people to be involved in a vision for their future. Only two of the Councillors from the Wick area were in attendance I cannot speak for the other days. I did come away with the impression that they would welcome much more local people for their input. In fact they did ask for everyone in attendance to again put the word out for the next meeting to ensure as many people attended as possible.

joxville
25-Feb-13, 12:26
Wiki does have its uses after all, an explanation here of what a charrette is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charrette

Alice in Blunderland
25-Feb-13, 15:47
woopsie just been reminded there were two councillor's at last nights meeting. A wee Blunder by Alice. :)

poppett
25-Feb-13, 16:28
The "meet and greet" is such an important part of a meeting like this, especially when folks may pop in alone and are worried they won`t know anyone or think they are doing someing wrong.

Elena
02-Mar-13, 00:07
I did pop into the event both on Thursday and Saturday, it really was a "pop in any time you want" event. Found the atmosphere to be very encouraging for the audience to voice any complaint/concern/suggestion/improvement. There were no Council representatives to knock you down and etll you why it was a stupid comment, well done for the organisers, John Thompson and partners (http://www.jtp.co.uk/). Pity there weren't more Wickers there, you missed an opportunity to be heard here, to point your finger at the map ad say what you want, but overall I think that there were enough locals present to have most of the most important points came to light. The consultants were going to present their final findings on Tuesday night, which I was unable to attend, hope you did!

My concern is this: what happens next, they have written up their report, jotted down ideas, who - if anyone - in the Highland Council is going to look at that report when drawing up the Local Development Plan? Despite the fact that they have decided to employ these consultants to do all this work?

Here are a few of the recurring themes that stick in my mind:
- Heart Transplant: concentrate more on the harbour in Wick
- paths: establish a coastal path and a path on the disused Lybster railwayline
- make more of the Wick River
- connect and advertise the heritage sites

Anyone else care to add to this list? It is by no means comprehensive.

Alice in Blunderland
07-Mar-13, 12:40
Some bedtime reading for the folks of Wick. Worth checking out the illustrative master plan in the second link.

http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/BF90806B-771C-44FA-80FA-560F5E644F60/0/WICKQuoteSheet.pdf

http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/2ED23BF7-AFF6-44AE-867D-13785D250E77/0/WICKbroadsheetLores.pdf

Alice in Blunderland
07-Mar-13, 12:43
And some bedtime reading for the folks of Thurso. Again another illustrative master plan included.

http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/45F26326-8986-474D-ACE6-5356F7D644AA/0/THURSOreportback.pdf

http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/45F26326-8986-474D-ACE6-5356F7D644AA/0/THURSOreportback.pdf