PDA

View Full Version : Trying again.

Thonord
11-Feb-13, 21:11
Thought I posted a question in a thread yesterday (10 Feb 2013). Not that I'm an overly impatient person, but I can't even find the posting.

My question was about pontoons for temporary mooring of pleasure craft between Scrabster and Wick. Are there any?

We will be passing through the Pentland Firth this summer. Don't expect to need any, but - just in case.

rgds
tom

Phill
11-Feb-13, 21:23
Don't think there'll be many pontoons but there is certainly some smaller harbours which may be useable.

What size / type of vessel? And what do you require?

Plenty on here will be able to let you know.

ducati
11-Feb-13, 21:37
You could try Castletown. I think it is the Highland River Harbour Authority (or somesuch).

There are pontoons at Scrab. and Wick but I don't think there are any available.

Ooh forgot John o Groats :roll:

Thonord
11-Feb-13, 21:58
Thanks for prompt answers.
Boat is a 47' sailboat draft 2.7 m.
Our last leg in Scotland is "Scrabster - Wick". Then its back home.
I don't expect to "need" any pontoons, but it would be "nice to know" just in case of something like "No wind and oopss - not enough diesel to reach Wick." Things happen:) and we only really need to pass through the Firth once.

We have anchors and can tie up against walls, but pontoons are just - so convenient.

Tom

ducati
11-Feb-13, 22:03
I wouldn't bother with Castletown then unless you want her laying on her side at lowtide. :eek: Dunnet bay is sheltered and a short tender/Taxi to the pub

Phill
11-Feb-13, 22:20
Yeah, think the same for most of the small harbours around the top except maybe for John O'Groats.

maza
11-Feb-13, 23:49
Im sure you will be most welcome at Wick Harbour,office number 01955 602030

smithp
12-Feb-13, 00:32
Most folk I've heard of sailing that route wait until the weather and the coastguard tells them to go, so fuel shouldn't be an issue. I'm sure you can moor in Scrabster and Wick (where you probably would get a pontoon). I personally wouldn't drop an anchor in Dunnet bay and use a tender to shore and go the pub!

pat
12-Feb-13, 08:13
If you are heading to Stornoway harbour ensure you have booked a mooring space as there are not many spaces available at the moment (plans for more pontoons) and frequently boats being turned away due to lack of mooring.

Enjoy planning your trip round the north.

Thonord
12-Feb-13, 10:53
Thanks again:)

On the issue of anchoring in Dunnet Bay, We could always do the responsible thing and leave the skipper on board.

Stornoway, Sorry to say, we won't be visiting the outer islands. Not enough time. Spending a month in Scotland as it is.

Hen Broon
12-Feb-13, 11:20
Thonord you'll get the details on Wick Harbour here, there is usually plenty of pontoons available for visitors
http://www.wickharbour.co.uk/marina.htm

or could try this
http://www.wickharbour.co.uk/sail-north-scotland.pdf

Tugmistress
12-Feb-13, 13:50
I doubt you would get berthed at a pontoon in Scrabster unless you contact the harbour master and pre book one (and even then i doubt there would be room) so you would be berthed on one of the many harbour walls.
I think the few pontoons there are in Scrabster there is a waiting list for places.
As for places in between Wick and Scrabster, i would advise that you do the trip round the 'bend' of Duncansby Head in a oner as even with a vessel that size you will get in to trouble so easilty and quickly if the firth decides she's going to throw a hissy fit :)

ducati
12-Feb-13, 17:22
I doubt you would get berthed at a pontoon in Scrabster unless you contact the harbour master and pre book one (and even then i doubt there would be room) so you would be berthed on one of the many harbour walls.
I think the few pontoons there are in Scrabster there is a waiting list for places.
As for places in between Wick and Scrabster, i would advise that you do the trip round the 'bend' of Duncansby Head in a oner as even with a vessel that size you will get in to trouble so easilty and quickly if the firth decides she's going to throw a hissy fit :)

Tugmistress has a nice boat, it's called the Hamnavoe :lol:

ducati
12-Feb-13, 17:24
Most folk I've heard of sailing that route wait until the weather and the coastguard tells them to go, so fuel shouldn't be an issue. I'm sure you can moor in Scrabster and Wick (where you probably would get a pontoon). I personally wouldn't drop an anchor in Dunnet bay and use a tender to shore and go the pub!

I don't think it is a safety issue Thonord, it's just that he is barred! [lol]

secrets in symmetry
13-Feb-13, 01:12
There's a harbour at Gills Bay. It doesn't have pontoons though - unless things have changed since I was last tied up there.

Dog-eared
13-Feb-13, 11:35
I would have a read of a relevant pilot guide for passage through the firth. Do it in one go,just pick the right tide and time. Avoid spring tides if you can. There is plenty of room / depth on the piers at scrabster and wick, and they probably have a visitors berth on the pontoon.phone them first ?
If you need a copy of the passage guide, pm me.