PDA

View Full Version : Pope Benedict resigns

Kodiak
11-Feb-13, 12:27
Pope Benedict is to Resign according to the Italian State Agency. I always thought that once elected the Pope was there until he died and was not allowed to resign, does anyone know if this report could be correct or not.

Edit Must be true as it is on the BBC News Site now!

http://www.itv.com/news/story/2013-02-11/pope-benedict-resign/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-21411304
(http://www.itv.com/news/story/2013-02-11/pope-benedict-resign/)

Rheghead
11-Feb-13, 12:36
Wishing Pope Benedict all the best in his retirement.

cptdodger
11-Feb-13, 12:45
Somebody asked on another thread, what was the last thing to shock you, well there you go. I had no idea Pope's could resign. If that's the case I wish Pope John Paul 2nd had resigned, although I am in no way religious, I did admire him, and I always felt so sorry for the poor soul when they kept wheeling him out for ceremonies, when he was clearly so very frail.

joxville
11-Feb-13, 13:04
Donna worry, anither wan will pope up soon. :-)

Flynn
11-Feb-13, 13:45
The pope says he's too ill to work, but ATOS suspect Benedict fraud.

mi16
11-Feb-13, 15:05
The Saville enquiry strikes agan!!

Phill
11-Feb-13, 16:19
Neigh, he obviously knows too much about this Horse meat scandal!

billmoseley
11-Feb-13, 17:41
He is making way for a gay Muslim pope to bring the world together in one big mardi gras

Flynn
11-Feb-13, 18:08
I think they should have a tv show to decide the next pope. Let's call it Pope Idol.

MerlinScot
11-Feb-13, 20:31
I think they should have a tv show to decide the next pope. Let's call it Pope Idol.Hahaha I think they have already that in Vatican city Flynn!! :D It is called "let's see what colour is the smoke coming out of the chimney", which translates in.... Pope Idol! Or Vatican's got talent, you choose......

Btw I didn't know Popes could resign either... He was fed up with all the scandals.... Lol

Alrock
11-Feb-13, 20:40
Anybody can resign, you just say... "I'm not doing it anymore", they're not exactly gonna force him at gunpoint...
Mind you... He won't be eligible for JSA since he left the job voluntarily... lol

MerlinScot
11-Feb-13, 20:48
Anybody can resign, you just say... "I'm not doing it anymore", they're not exactly gonna force him at gunpoint...Mind you... He won't be eligible for JSA since he left the job voluntarily... lolI don't think that is so simple as you believe. As a head of state you can resign but... Honestly, in all my life I never read or heard that the Pope could too. Mind you, maybe he had a few good reasons to do it... In that place, if you don't go along with someone, you can end up dead at any time...Don't know if Germany has JSA... Must check ;)

focusRS
11-Feb-13, 20:51
He can always fall back on his trade but I'm unsure if there's much demand nowadays for Hitler youths.

mi16
11-Feb-13, 21:32
As long as there are vulnerable altar boys, there will bea place for him.

Phill
11-Feb-13, 22:07
Apparently now he's jacked he gets locked up with a load of hookers for a few weeks.

Edit: My mistake, cloistered nuns are not a fetish. Apparently.

But then this is the Vatican we're talking about! :eek:

Flynn
11-Feb-13, 22:42
I wonder what name the next one will choose? I think Pope Zod would be good, or maybe Pope Gozaweesl.

George Brims
12-Feb-13, 19:30
Scroll down past this article on semi-disgraced Cardinal Mahony of LA and there's a really funny set of tweets about the pope's resignation.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/11/cardinal-roger-mahony-pope_n_2665561.html

MerlinScot
12-Feb-13, 20:58
I'm rolling on the floor....."This is like asking Charles Manson to give the eulogy for his victims' memorial service." Hahahaa priceless, thanks George!

Phill
12-Feb-13, 21:06
It is funny and it's good to have a laugh until you remember this is kiddy fiddlers protecting kiddy fiddlers who pervert the course of justice whilst voting for a kiddy fiddler in chief!

Rheghead
12-Feb-13, 21:12
I'm disappointed in the uncharitable comments towards a man who is too frail to continue in his work. I may not share the pope's faith but I do not deny him to be a man of immense integrity and one who is respected the world over.

cptdodger
12-Feb-13, 21:33
I'm disappointed in the uncharitable comments towards a man who is too frail to continue in his work. I may not share the pope's faith but I do not deny him to be a man of immense integrity and one who is respected the world over.

I have to say, I agree, and as I said before, I am not religious in any way shape or form, but I just wish for his sake, Pope John Paul 2nd had retired as well. I honestly felt so sorry for him. To be honest, I can't say I felt the same for this Pope, but I think that has a lot to do with the fact he was in the Hitler youth, and John Paul was a hard act (for want of a better phrase !) to follow. But looking at who is favourite to be the next Pope, they are all in their late 60's 70's and one is 80, they really need to get somebody younger, or now Pope Benedict, has resigned, and set a precedent, they could find themselves facing this problem time and time again.

Phill
12-Feb-13, 22:54
Integrity!
Being the leader of an organisation that size, with such a horrific history of abuse, knowing what he must have known (assuming he wasn't complicit at some point), do you believe that? Or is the religious tag misleading you?

pig whisperer
12-Feb-13, 23:55
Is it possible the Pope just got fed up having to wear heavy frocks & pointy hats

mi16
13-Feb-13, 00:35

Integrity? The man is the world champion in sweeping under the carpet.
If he had any integrity at all the first thing he should have done once he took control was to order a no stone unturned investigation into child abuse under the catholic church.

golach
13-Feb-13, 00:49
I am with you Rheg, I too do not share his faith, but millions in the world do, he cannot be all bad.

secrets in symmetry
13-Feb-13, 01:08
My Catholic friends think JP II was a disaster for their Church. They don't even speak of Benedict - they regarded him as a stopgap from the beginning.

MerlinScot
13-Feb-13, 11:15

That's called POWER Rheghead, not respect out of his charitable actions. That was a guy who was not only part of organizations supporting nazis once a long time ago, but also someone sooooo conservative (that makes Cameron appear as a Communist in comparison!) that he wouldn't strip all the abusers and rapists of the clergy of everything, as they deserved.

To be honest, I've never been very religious but I respect the others anyway. It doesn't seem to me that this Pope really respected other faiths or even his own, judging from what he did.

SIS, the few Catholics friends I know think that the best Pope was JP XXIII... so 50 years ago or so?