PDA

View Full Version : Dunnet from the parish of Dunnet

David Banks
09-Feb-13, 19:38
My grandfather was Leith Dunnet, born 12 Oct. 1884, and one of his sisters was *Margaret Jane Dunnet who lived in Scarfskerry and I knew her well, but she had no children (her married name was Mowat).

There were four other siblings:
Jemima Isabella Louttit D. born 19 Sept. 1871
William D. born 6th Feb. 1875
George D. born maybe in 1880, and
Barbara D. born maybe in 1886.

Their parents were **George Dunnet born 27th Dec. 1842 and Jane Calder Louttit born 15th Sept. 1848.

**George Dunnet's parents were William Dunnet and Margaret Skinner. The latter was born 5th Jan. 1816 in Ham. William and Margaret were married on the 4th. of Feb. 1842 in Dunnet. Also, I do not know if this **George Dunnet had any siblings.

With the exception of *Margaret Jane, I never met nor can remember hearing anything about any of the other family members mentioned above.

With the exception of Barbara who died in 1946 when I was a year old, all the others shown above had died before I was born.

AND, I do not know if Jemima, William, George or Barbara had any children - so I may be "missing" a whole lot of other uncles, aunts, cousins.

I would be delighted to hear any information anybody may have about any of these Dunnets - either on this forum or by PM.

Rosemary Skea
09-Feb-13, 21:59
Morning David

If you go to FREECEN and search for William Dunnet in the 1851 census in Dunnet, you will find him on page 4 schedule 19 in Brough with Margaret and family which include three sisters for George - Jane Mary and Janet. Moving on to the 1861 census you will find William still in Brough but a widower. In 1871, you will find that William has a new wife and a new family. So you have lots of new family to acquaint yourself with !

Regards

Rosemary

Kris
09-Feb-13, 22:08
Hi David,
on 1851 census Brough, Dunnet
Dunnet William Head Married age 32 Agri Labr. & Stone Sawyer b Dunnet
Skinner Margt wife " 34 "
Dunnet George son 8 "
Dunnet Jane dau 6 "
Dunnet Mary " 4 "
Dunnet Janet " 2 "

1861 census Brough, Dunnet
Dunnet William Head W 42 Farmer of 7 acres
" Jane dau 16
" Mary " 14
" Janet " 12
" Isabella " 7

there is a death 1858 Dunnet for a Margaret Dunnet other surname Skinner, mother's surname Rosie, age 41.
there is a birth 28/3/1857 Barbara Dunnet parents Wm Dunnet & Margaret Skinner, I assume she didn't survive as not on 1861 census?

William appears to have married again 30 Dec 1864 Canisbay to Elizabeth Falconer.
1871 census Brough, Dunnet
Dunnet William head age 51
" Elizabeth wife 38
" Hughina dau 4
" Elizabeth " 3
" John son 1

1881 census Brough, Dunnet
Dunnet William head 61
" Elizabeth wife 47
" Hughina dau 14
" Elizabeth " 12
" John son 10
" William " 8

There is a death for a William Dunnet 1895 at Dunnet age 75.

the death certificates are available on Scotlandspeople web site.

Kris

David Banks
10-Feb-13, 11:01
Rosemary Skea, and Kris:

My saying "thankyou" just does not seem enough - you have given me wonderful gifts - "brilliant!"

r.rackstraw
10-Feb-13, 23:22
Hello David
The 1831 Traill Estate map shows a Brough croft tenanted by G Dunnet. Skinner and Rosie are also shown in Brough.
I don't know if these are your people but if you would like to see the map please pm me with an email address and I will send a jpg.
Regards

David Banks
11-Feb-13, 18:02
On two separate documents, I have seen the spelling L O U T I T T (not Louttit)

Oddquine
12-Feb-13, 00:40
On two separate documents, I have seen the spelling L O U T I T T (not Louttit)

Gets spelled Loutit as well...and I've seen it spelled with e rather than an i! That's why it is handy having a soundex or wildcard option in searches. Spelling was, to say the least, variable in those days.

nevergiveup
13-Feb-13, 23:19
My ancestors were ORKNEY LOUTTITS,ive also seen it spelt as LOWTIT!