PDA

View Full Version : Location of Cairnfield, Thurso parish

htwood
02-Jan-07, 20:16
A rellie of mine lived at Cairnfield in 1861. I can't find it on my OS map; anyone familiar with the location?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks. -H

Janpat41
03-Jan-07, 21:39
What are the adjoining locations on the census? What is your rellie's name? Would help locate.

I know of a house called Cairnfield in Dunnet Parish.

Jeemag_USA
03-Jan-07, 22:24
If you get a good ordnance survey map of Caithness and look around the area between Weydale and Hilliclay you might find your answer. In Weydale there is a Cairnfield Place and down the road there is a place called Cairnfield, believe it to be a house or farm actually, not only that if you look on the map all around this area there are cairns everywhere (fields of cairns) think this is probably where it is, south of Mayfield and north of Achingills, if you take the south road out of Thurso past Mount Vernon, then after a mile or so (after the turn for Stainland and the electric sub station) take a left and head up the hill you'll pass it.

OS Ref - 314950,964790

Hope this helps, take a look at this link http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=315500&y=964500&z=4&sv=315500,964500&st=4&ar=N&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf

htwood
04-Jan-07, 22:19
Thanks Janpat and Jeemag,
Just looked at census for adjoining locations, and Weydale is closest. Yes, Cairnfield was a farm, two houses at most. Rellie's name was Janet Stewart, she was domestic servant there. Don't know where she went after that. Her mother died and I think all the siblings went south.
Thanks for your help. -H

fstop
05-Jan-07, 11:55
Weydale is the site of one of the Caithness flagstone quarries with many pits and stone spoil heaps left behind. Cairnfield is the farm ( still occupied) named after the cairn identified as a mound on the OS map ND 148 647.