PDA

View Full Version : Somerfields

dgunn
13-Feb-05, 14:04
did anyone hear that somerfields are being taken over again by iceland and farmfoods

rainbow
13-Feb-05, 18:59
Yes Somerfield has been taken over. It was on the news on Thursday I think, and there is a PR mess as the news was leaked before Iceland could give authority to give out the news. All change again - pity it wasn't Tescos that bought them!

Gogglebox
14-Feb-05, 20:15
Think this is an icelandic company called Bauger not Iceland the frozen food store

UK: SOMERFIELD RECEIVES BID APPROACH
Somerfield said today that it received a proposal on April 11 relating to a possible offer. The proposal is subject to a number of conditions and it is uncertain whether an offer will ultimately be made. The retailer said a further announcement will be made when appropriate.

Shares in Somerfield surged more than 20% on the news. At 1300 GMT, shares in the supermarket company - the sixth largest in the U.K. - were trading up 17 pence, or 23%, at 91 pence. They have risen more than 30% since Friday's close. Intial speculation focussed on Icelandic retailer Bauger, however, an industry source said the retailer isn't the mystery company interested in buying Somerfield. Analysts have speculated that Bauger is attempting to buy Somerfield in order to combine it with grocer Big Food, in which it has a 15% stake.

Bauger, if successful in its takeover of the Big Food Group, is planning to break the business up.
It is understood that the Icelandic retailer, which already holds a 22 per cent stake in the company, is keen to acquire the whole of the business, with a break-up strategy providing a profitable exit.
It is believed that the company is currently holding talks to discuss the possible sale of 500 of the 750 Iceland food stores to former Iceland chairman Malcolm Walker.
Mr Walker left Iceland after it was revealed he sold £13.5 million worth of shares a month before the company issued a profits warning.
Bauger is expected to offer 110p-a-share bid for BFG. The board of BFG have said they would recommend a bid at this level to shareholders.
Recently Baugur sold its 10 per cent share in department store chain House of Fraser, releasing capital ahead of a possible bid for BFG
The firm already owns toy store Hamleys and holds shares taken in fashion retailer Oasis and supermarket chain Somerfield.

ullevi
16-Feb-05, 17:08
Why is everyone on here delughted with Tesco I mean all the supermarkets are the same really to be honest i have used all the major chains over the years and the prices are much and such the same with all of them maybe a few pence here or there.Every time i read a comment on this chat page it is about someone sayin tesco is great we stop at the one in Inverness 24 hour shopping etc etc well it is only a supermarket good god.
They all sell the same products. :mad:

2little2late
16-Feb-05, 21:42
The best supermarket there is, is Asda. Voted the cheapest supermarket for the 7th year running.

Fran
18-Feb-05, 03:19
;) According to yesterdays Press and Journal newspaper, Somerfields have not been taken over as yet. the company has been made an offer and are considering it. Pity,I thought we were getting a better store! :~(

katarina
18-Feb-05, 11:29
tescos are coming. they were doing test bores in the field next to the old glass factory last week to find out the suitability for building.

Fifi
18-Feb-05, 11:39
Hhhmmm, either Tesco has done a very quick descision turnaround or you have been misinformed. The message below was received by us on 22 January after we made an enquiry direct to them. What's the source of your statement Katarina?

"Thank you for your email. I have checked and I am very sorry to confirm that at present there is nothing on the development plan to open a new store in this area.

I apologise for any disappointment caused due to this.

However, the relevant department dealing with such matters has been notified and I can assure you that this will be taken on board at the next review meeting. I cannot guarantee that action will be taken, however your views and comments are invaluable to us.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us at customer.service@tesco.co.uk.

Regards

Sireesha Madireddi
Tesco Customer Service"

jay
18-Feb-05, 11:42
Somerfield have not been taken over, an investment company which ownes shares in many stores and businesses has made an offer for shares - this does not mean that the stores will change name or anything else

jambo
18-Feb-05, 12:43
ullevi what supermarket up here sells petrol,clothes,computer spares and so on.tescos do and u get a better choice of food to pick from.

lasher
18-Feb-05, 13:54
If Tesco do build a store in Caithness it's not going to be a huge store like the one in Inverness. It will be a lot smaller with less choice, just like the one's that are already there. I have no evidence to back me up, just common sense tells you that a huge store wouldn't be viable in Caithness. Anyone agree?

Zael
18-Feb-05, 15:32
why not, considering the amount of people who shop in Wick from as far south as Brora. A Tesco in wick would be closer for them than the "small" one that services Dingwall. fgs, you could fit everyone that lives in dingwall into the tesco there. I wonder what the thinking behind that 1 was? Perhaps its a store to service a larger area?

newlabeluk
19-Feb-05, 09:35
I'm so lucky,I live in the FAR South and have the choice of large supermarkets in which to do my shopping. My Irrate sister lives at Gills and tells me a chiken in Somerfields is 2.5 time more expensive than if bought at Tesco in Inverness.......She now drive down once or twice a month. :~(

katarina
19-Feb-05, 20:31
I'm so lucky,I live in the FAR South and have the choice of large supermarkets in which to do my shopping. My Irrate sister lives at Gills and tells me a chiken in Somerfields is 2.5 time more expensive than if bought at Tesco in Inverness.......She now drive down once or twice a month. :~(

Maybe she should just go to lidl's. I got a chicken for 1.89. Price In Somerfiels two for £5.00. So how much does she save by the time she's added on the cost of petrol - eating out etc.

Naefearjustbeer
19-Feb-05, 20:42
well we just went down to inverness to do a tesco shop and saved more than the cost of fuel for our day trip. For example we saved £1 on out bottle of persil washing liquid so we buy 3 then we save 50p per pack of chicken things so we buy 10 to stock up the freezer enough bread to last a month for the freezer saving 20p a loaf. etc etc we did not loose out on our trip and went to the tesco filling station to fill up before we came home and saved about £5 on a tank of diesel. Yip somerfields are losing out on hundreds every month from our shopping budget. Fresh milk and veg from the coop, And to top it all off a swim at the aquadome :D :D Very worthwhile in my opinion

Fran
20-Feb-05, 04:22
Naefearjustbeer......I agree with all your comments.
Tesco were definetly measuring next to the glass factory a couple of months ago, maybe they have changed their minds. :mad:

~~Tides~~
20-Feb-05, 13:29
saved about £5 on a tank of diesel.

But is it worth the burden on your conscious, the damage you are doing to the environment?

Naefearjustbeer
20-Feb-05, 15:30
saved about £5 on a tank of diesel.

But is it worth the burden on your conscious, the damage you are doing to the environment?

Having traded my Jeep that did 20-25mpg for a fiat that does 50+mpg I think I have done a bit for the environment. It is a fact of life living in a rural area that you need to have transport to get around so might as well do it as efficiently and cheaply as possible.

ullevi
21-Feb-05, 14:53
Naejustfaebeer why dont you just move to Inverness then i mean they have a Great shopping range and an Aquadome what more could you ask for :eek:

Little Miss Naughty
21-Feb-05, 15:57
To be honest, who cares if Tescos come here or not, Cos I don't, It isn't going to be any cheaper than the prices we pay now, what with the transport costs to deliver the stuff up here, they will still end up charging what they want and we will just have to pay for it or else starve.
Even if Tescos/Asda or who ever comes up here, which I can't really see it happening, it will just be about the size of Somerfield as I can't see it being any bigger and it won't have any or the great bargains that the store south have or any clothes etc.
I think we will just all have to move south, or continue to be ripped off with the prices we get charged. Nothing we do will change what we pay. [mad] [mad] [mad]

Naefearjustbeer
21-Feb-05, 22:34
Naejustfaebeer why dont you just move to Inverness then i mean they have a Great shopping range and an Aquadome what more could you ask for :eek:

Not a chance, I like living in Caithness and find Inverness handy for somethings but certainly would not live in or near the place. I was just making a point that as so many people are complaining abot somerfields they should vote with where thay spend money. As long as people complain but still do the weekly/monthly shop in the place I have no sympathy for them. I dont like the prices or the range of goods that they sell so I have decided to go to Inverness every now and then and stock up my larder with the food I like to buy at better prices than I would have to pay in Caithness. That way I can save money and have a better selection of food. If tescos or asda opened up here I would be happy but If the shop was priced similar to somerfields with the same poor selection I would still quite happily travel to do my shopping.

Riffman
22-Feb-05, 00:48
To be honest, who cares if Tescos come here or not, Cos I don't, It isn't going to be any cheaper than the prices we pay now, what with the transport costs to deliver the stuff up here, they will still end up charging what they want and we will just have to pay for it or else starve.
Even if Tescos/Asda or who ever comes up here, which I can't really see it happening, it will just be about the size of Somerfield as I can't see it being any bigger and it won't have any or the great bargains that the store south have or any clothes etc.
I think we will just all have to move south, or continue to be ripped off with the prices we get charged. Nothing we do will change what we pay. [mad] [mad] [mad]

I agree totally.

katarina
22-Feb-05, 10:10
Guess hat's the price we pay for chosing to live in caithness. We have always been ripped off and always will be.............but if you like country living it's a small price to pay.

mysophales
22-Feb-05, 14:11
Simple really, if you don't like paying the prices in Caithness,
the Ord is open.
You can leave Caithness.
No passport needed, just go.

skydivvy
23-Feb-05, 15:53
Naefearjustbeer......I agree with all your comments.
Tesco were definetly measuring next to the glass factory a couple of months ago, maybe they have changed their minds. :mad:

They were there again a few weeks ago. May it's all very hush hush!

2little2late
24-Feb-05, 21:09
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4295261.stm