PDA

View Full Version : Ye canny get your Granny on a Tram

golach
26-Jan-13, 10:43
Nae luck, we are not getting to use our bus passes on our trams, Thank you Eck [disgust]

http://www.scotsman.com/edinburgh-evening-news/transport/transport-chief-rejects-call-for-free-oap-trams-1-2758798

laguna2
26-Jan-13, 10:48
So, empty trams could be going past queues at the bus stops?

Will buses be cut on the routes the trams are taking?

mi16
26-Jan-13, 11:31
It is a bus pass not a tram pass after all.

Corrie 3
26-Jan-13, 11:40
You can travel from John O'Groats all the way to Gretna Green for free and you are still complaining?

C3.

gerry4
26-Jan-13, 11:42
Nae luck, we are not getting to use our bus passes on our trams, Thank you Eck [disgust]

http://www.scotsman.com/edinburgh-evening-news/transport/transport-chief-rejects-call-for-free-oap-trams-1-2758798

Don't worry it will be solved if Labour or Conservatives get in next time as you won't have a bus pass. They are wanting to abolish them

golach
26-Jan-13, 11:47
Don't worry it will be solved if Labour or Conservatives get in next time as you won't have a bus pass. They are wanting to abolish them

Eck and his cronies are already discussing this

macadamia
26-Jan-13, 11:50
The trams in Edinburgh were invented by the Tories (who eat their own children, and are beyond redemption) deliberately to inflame the Grannies of Auld Reekie, and cause rises in blood pressure by denying them bus pass conditions on the trams which are still public transport and they knew it all along which is why they have put the Scottish government in a corner but they will rise triumphant after independence when it will be not only free trams for all but a unicorn in every pot, whereas the Tories only offer gristle and gruel as they are heartless every last one of them and paediatricians too.

ducati
26-Jan-13, 14:11
The trams in Edinburgh were invented by the Tories (who eat their own children, and are beyond redemption) deliberately to inflame the Grannies of Auld Reekie, and cause rises in blood pressure by denying them bus pass conditions on the trams which are still public transport and they knew it all along which is why they have put the Scottish government in a corner but they will rise triumphant after independence when it will be not only free trams for all but a unicorn in every pot, whereas the Tories only offer gristle and gruel as they are heartless every last one of them and paediatricians too.

And anyway, anyone with a bus pass now will be dead and gone by the time the first tram rolls. :mad:

golach
26-Jan-13, 14:12
You can travel from John O'Groats all the way to Gretna Green for free and you are still complaining?C3.
There you go again, opening mouth before engaging brain. Firstly there is no connecting bus service from John O'Groats to Gretna. If I wished to travel that route or an equivalent, it would have to be John O'Groats crossroads to Edinburgh at a cost of 0.50p booking fee, then Edinburgh to Cairnryan also a 0.50p booking fee. so technically not free.

Corrie 3
26-Jan-13, 14:45
There you go again, opening mouth before engaging brain. Firstly there is no connecting bus service from John O'Groats to Gretna. If I wished to travel that route or an equivalent, it would have to be John O'Groats crossroads to Edinburgh at a cost of 0.50p booking fee, then Edinburgh to Cairnryan also a 0.50p booking fee. so technically not free.
Rubbish....Once you get to Glasgow there is a direct bus to Gretna. I can get to Gretna from J.O'G via Glasgow for free with no booking fee and no need to go to Cairnryan. I stick to my original statement...an OAP with a bus pass can travel from J.O'G to Gretna for free!!
And less of the insults please!

C3.

gerry4
26-Jan-13, 16:09
Eck and his cronies are already discussing this

If that is true then it means all parties are going to drop it so why pick out 'Eck'?

golach
26-Jan-13, 16:38
Rubbish....Once you get to Glasgow there is a direct bus to Gretna. I can get to Gretna from J.O'G via Glasgow for free with no booking fee and no need to go to Cairnryan. I stick to my original statement...an OAP with a bus pass can travel from J.O'G to Gretna for free!!And less of the insults please! C3.

I am sorry, if you can funish me with the details of the said bus route from Glasgow to Gretna green I would be delighted. and I stand by my statement, that there is a 50p booking charge levied on concessionary passes when booking, that to me is not Free

golach
26-Jan-13, 16:39
If that is true then it means all parties are going to drop it so why pick out 'Eck'?

Because him and his cronies are in power for the moment, simples

Corrie 3
26-Jan-13, 17:22
I am sorry, if you can funish me with the details of the said bus route from Glasgow to Gretna green I would be delighted. and I stand by my statement, that there is a 50p booking charge levied on concessionary passes when booking, that to me is not Free
Service X74, Buchanan St to Dumfries and then local service Dumfries to Gretna. No booking fee compulsory, all that does is guarantee you a seat!

C3.

badger
26-Jan-13, 17:36
In defence of Golach (who I'm sure doesn't need it) they recommend booking even going to Inverness and I have travelled down on a full bus which arrived 20 mins. late because at every stop the driver had to check that only passengers who had booked got on, those who didn't were left behind. So not booking, especially for a long journey with connections, is pretty risky.

mi16
26-Jan-13, 20:15
Risky but not mandatory

golach
26-Jan-13, 21:10
Service X74, Buchanan St to Dumfries and then local service Dumfries to Gretna. No booking fee compulsory, all that does is guarantee you a seat!C3.

Ok I never thought of that route, one up to you, well done, but I certainly would not travel on a long distance bus without booking first, have tried that, and could not get on the buses to Inverness northwards.

focusRS
26-Jan-13, 21:59
The train information is on the internet for all to see. It would seem that Mr C3s brain was indeed engaged. Perhaps indulging in your own advice would save the red face next time golach Owld Man.

golach
26-Jan-13, 23:16
The train information is on the internet for all to see. . Bus routes were the topic of this thread not trains......maybe you should take some of your own advice.

focusRS
26-Jan-13, 23:30
Touché Owld Man. I hold my hands high and beg forgiveness. My clanger does however pale in comparison to your own.

Corrie 3
27-Jan-13, 12:29
OK, lets see if we can get this thread back on topic.
I personally don't think the trams should be free whoever is in power. They need as many fare paying passengers as they can get to try and claw back some of the cost of the system. And where do you draw the line at free travel for us OAP's? Free trains, free airfares? free taxi cabs? Lets just be grateful that we can travel all over Scotland for free, after all, we aren't a greedy bunch are we?

C3.

Torvaig
27-Jan-13, 12:41
Well said Corrie and anyway, many pensioners can afford to pay their fares, they should be means tested!

squidge
27-Jan-13, 13:11
Bus journeys offer free travel to OAPs, or travel at a booking fee. This should remain the same. Free bus travel reduces isolation, loneliness and allows people who might otherwise be unable to afford the fare, to go to the local club, shopping centre, community event or to see friends and relatives they may not see. The vast majority of concessionary bus journets are these short trips There is no need to means test it because people who are wealthy tend not to travel by bus to go to the shops. I forget who said it but someone with their tongue very firmly in their cheek said "they should absolutely means test free bus travel... Im sick of not being able to get a seat cos of all the millionaires taking up the space". I would prefer to see tram journeys and train journeys free too but when the income coming from the UK in the form of the block grant is falling and Scotland is not in control of its own finances then we can only spend what Westminster gives us.

golach
27-Jan-13, 17:00
Bus journeys offer free travel to OAPs, or travel at a booking fee. This should remain the same. Free bus travel reduces isolation, loneliness and allows people who might otherwise be unable to afford the fare, to go to the local club, shopping centre, community event or to see friends and relatives they may not see. The vast majority of concessionary bus journets are these short trips There is no need to means test it because people who are wealthy tend not to travel by bus to go to the shops. I forget who said it but someone with their tongue very firmly in their cheek said "they should absolutely means test free bus travel... Im sick of not being able to get a seat cos of all the millionaires taking up the space". I would prefer to see tram journeys and train journeys free too but when the income coming from the UK in the form of the block grant is falling and Scotland is not in control of its own finances then we can only spend what Westminster gives us.

Squidge, its not just over 60's who quallify for free bus travel,many other groups do also. see the link

http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk/public-transport/concessionary-travel/over-60-disabled-eligibility-applying

golach
27-Jan-13, 17:05
Well said Corrie and anyway, many pensioners can afford to pay their fares, they should be means tested!

I know many pensioners who don't use or have a bus pass, affordability has nothing to do with it.

Torvaig
28-Jan-13, 00:01
I know many pensioners who don't use or have a bus pass, affordability has nothing to do with it.Golach; if affordability has nothing to do with it then why issue bus passes? Why does travel have priority over more essential needs in retirement. What about free clothes, food, heating, home helps etc., then pensions could be cut and pensioners assured of having the necessary basics and have an allowance for what else they want/need in life.

There are many people who can't take advantage of free bus travel without the means of getting to a departure point. Surely the answer is to at least set pension payments to provide for all of these; after all they are the basics of having a decent retirement and unless you are lucky enough to have a private pension, life savings or inherited wealth, travel is only a small part of where a pensioner's allowance goes.

Maybe they should be given the choice of what freebies they get or, as I have suggested above, a decent pension to cover all their needs for a comfortable retirement. After all, many of them have contributed to the building of our financial infrastructure of which we make more than enough use of and in fact, waste abominably.

Surely it would be better to have pensioners homes warm and comfortable and for the rest of us to stop wasting our valuable energy resources on living the life of Riley and instead secure a decent old age. Why not act responsibly now and help to conserve our planet for future generations.

So maybe the answer lies with those who are still earning a living? Maybe they should be limited to only the necessary salaries to prepare them for what lies ahead by being aware of what they will need to save for when they are on the pension.

golach
07-Feb-13, 17:19
Great News, Grannies are now allowed to travel on the damn trams
The Evening News has won a major victory for Edinburgh’s old and disabled folk by ensuring they will be able to use their bus passes on trams for free when it begins operating.

But its not just us who live in Auld Reekie who will benefit, feel free till come doon and have a shot on them as weel.

ducati
07-Feb-13, 18:00
Yey! Well done Goly I'm sure you were instrumental in the turn around. :lol:

Corrie 3
07-Feb-13, 22:27
Great News, Grannies are now allowed to travel on the damn trams
The Evening News has won a major victory for Edinburgh’s old and disabled folk by ensuring they will be able to use their bus passes on trams for free when it begins operating.

But its not just us who live in Auld Reekie who will benefit, feel free till come doon and have a shot on them as weel.
I had a quiet word in Eck's ear for you Golach!!!
Me?.....I will stick to the Blackpool ones!!!

C3.

secrets in symmetry
08-Feb-13, 00:50
I recently heard Edinburgh's trams referred to as 'the Cooncil's Princes Street train set." :cool: