PDA

View Full Version : feeling very philosophical

brandy
30-Dec-06, 16:45
as with all the posts today.. and recently.. and the new year coming up.
a time of rebirth and new resalutions.. i started thinking.. and for some reason teh sermon on the mount came to mind.
well decided to read it again.. and it made me feel.. well better.

i know many of you are not religious, but the message that it brings across is well universal.
looked up the golden rule.. not surprising has been around since the get go.
for any one interested i am posting links to the sermon on the mount.. in both KJV and NIV.. (so it can be easier read by those not versed in old english.. and for those like me that was raised with the old english version! *G*)
for those of you with christian backgrounds, enjoy the read and the religious tint.. and for those who are not religious.. try.. mind you i say try.. to read it.. not as a sermon on how to get into heaven.. but as a way to live a simple happy life..
the sermon on the mount contains the beattitudes.. which mean happiness..
i just thought i would share something that made me feel a little bit better in a world gone mad. and hope that others might like the philosophy as well..
happy readings!

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=matthew%205-7;&version=48;

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=matthew%205-7;&version=64;

Stumurf
30-Dec-06, 16:56
Thanks brandy, i hope that you have a spiritually fulfilling new year also.

its such a shame that religion gets misrepresented so much. as they ALL can offer so much...

I for one wish ALL the members of the .Org a happy Candlemas.

And fingers crossed that the highlands remain intact despite the forecast. :)

Is thurso Hogmanay still all set to go, its not looking very friendly in my neck of the woods... :~(

cuddlepop
30-Dec-06, 17:39
Just finished reading the Press @Journal,there's agreat artical on page3 with a colour photo of a previous hogmany night in Wick which looks brilliant.
I do hope the weather doesn't spoil the fun tomorrow and we can log on and see whats happening through the web cam.It looks like we'll be pretty much housebound over here:~(
I hope you all have a great time and hopefully the goodwill will spread to the web site and they'll be no more:goodbyes : from anyone next year;)

fred
30-Dec-06, 17:48
www.graven-images.org.uk/detritus.mp3

Stumurf
31-Dec-06, 16:34
www.graven-images.org.uk/detritus.mp3 (http://www.graven-images.org.uk/detritus.mp3)

Class... many thanks for that fred, sentiment and humour... one of lifes best pleasures...

scorrie
31-Dec-06, 23:01
No religions and a healthy dose of common sense will take us a lot further towards a better world than sermons that are thousands of years old, written by who knows and in what true context. Thank goodness for being a free spirit able to see beyond the "gospel"

Here's hoping for a Peaceful 2007 and I call for all supposed "faithful" to actually practice what they preach.

brandy
01-Jan-07, 20:53
actually, i try not to "preach" anything.. but i do try to follow what i belive.
and the sermon on the mount.. is a very good speech.
would it have been rejected like this if it had been aristotle, or plato i quoted?
most of the things jesus said in that sermon.. has been said many many times by many dif peoples from many dif religions and faiths.
it is common sence.
do unto others.
love each other
live in harmony
dont be greedy.
all very basic things.
but again you do have your right to your thoughts and i do respect that.

scorrie
01-Jan-07, 21:40
all very basic things.

Indeed, all VERY basic. That is why we do not need to hear that one particular doctrine is better than any other.

When we can all get the message that making the world a better place comes from knowing yourself and being true to your conscience, rather than following an overly long and repetitious old book, then we might start getting somewhere.