PDA

View Full Version : Clyne's shop in Bridge Street...

Angela
29-Dec-06, 13:18
I've recently dicovered a connection between "my" Munros and the Clyne family (or one of them) from Latheron and found some distant Clyne cousins.

I seem to remember there was a Clyne's drapers shop in Bridge Street, Wick, in the late 1950s when I was small. I know I got a stuffed toy rabbit there!Does anyone remember this or have any info about it?

I know William Clyne (my gt gt aunt's son) was a draper's assistant in Thurso in 1891 and I've been wondering if perhaps he set up shop in Wick and it remained in the family?

Any help would be very welcome.:)

Cheers
Angela

trinkie
01-Jan-07, 11:55
Hallo Angela,

Can you remind me where the Clyne Shop was on Bridge Street? I cannot remember it . I was looking through a book for a picture of it - but did not find one!

Trinkie

Angela
01-Jan-07, 12:22
Hello trinkie

I know more about this than I did previously - a got a PM from a lady saying the shop was called "Grover Clyne", and it was a furniture shop rather than a draper's. Probably on the corner of Bridge Street/High Street? There until the 1960s at least.

I know my Mum bought quilts from them (old style ones you put on top of all the bedclothes in these pre-duvet days) but I think it was maybe that she'd bought a new bedroom suite there and they'd arranged the making of the quilts for her.

I'd wondered if Grover Clyne was a partnership of 2 people, but when I tried the name on Google (not expecting anything) up came your Pigeon Fanciers page! I see GC was a real person, and a well-known businessman. I don't know anything more about him though.

DR Simpson was mentioned in the same context -businessman & pigeon fancier - now, his name also rings a bell, but again I don't know why.

Since I started looking into my family history recently all sorts of memories have popped up. All my mother's forebears came from Caithness -I lived near Wick for a while in the late 1950s and returned nearly every year until the 1980s. I've no close relatives left in Caithness now (although I'm sure I have many distant cousins) but the more memories that crop up the easier it's getting to piece things together! Only....it sets you off on yet another track..!

My relatives are basically Mowats, Sinclairs & Munros, but lots of other names are cropping up now as well...

Cheers
Angela

Tricia
01-Jan-07, 12:38
Angela
Happy New Year

any relation to ex provost Bill Mowat (dec) .
which Sinclairs are yours?

the D R SIMPSON you mention is one of mine - current bookshop newsagent etc. There were 2 David Ritchie Simpson's - father and son. both deceased.

D R Simpson. 88-90 High Street, Wick, Highland, KW1 4LY Next or close to Woolworths. May have also have shop in Bridge St under that name - .

Were you at school in Wick during 50s.

I was at Wick North from 1952 for 6 years bef we moved to Edinburgh -

Tricia

Angela
01-Jan-07, 13:43
I'll send you a PM.

trinkie
02-Jan-07, 13:16
There was George Clyne, Cabinet Maker
in Dempster Street and Moray Street, Wick

If you would like a picture , please send me a Private email with your private address , as I cant put the picture on to caithness.org.

Trinkie

Angela
02-Jan-07, 13:55
Hi Trinkie
I've sent you a PM
Angela