PDA

View Full Version : Family from Latheron, Trantor / Trentor / Traunter

alext
27-Dec-06, 00:30
Hi there, wondering if anyone can provide any information on the the names Trantor Trentor or Traunter or any details on the family members who came from Latheron.
I have managed to get back to a Sinclair Trantor (Trentor in the 1841 Census) and I think it may be his mother, Janet, who was listed in the 1841 census as Janet Tronter aged 61 and then in the 1851 Census as Janet Traunter.
I am looking for any info on those people which anyone may have at all.

By my calculations Sinclair Trantor was my great great great grandfather through his son Alexander born abt 1845, listed in the 1861 census as Alexander Tronter aged 17 of Latheron.
Sinclair married Sarah Young in 1828, Sarah's father was Robert Young of Latherton and he was born around 1788.

All information would be gratefully received.
Cheers
Alex. Trantor
(Australia)

kenimac1
04-Jan-07, 19:26
Don't know if its any help but the hill behind my childhood home in landhallow, latheron was known as Tranters brae. About 50 yesrs ago!!

fred
04-Jan-07, 20:19
Don't know if its any help but the hill behind my childhood home in landhallow, latheron was known as Tranters brae. About 50 yesrs ago!!

A traunter was a peddler who sold things from a wagon.

Kareng
28-Aug-07, 21:20
Ialso have Sinclair Trantor/Tranter in my tree and am descended from his son Thomas who was born at Latheron in 1832. Like you I found a marriage of Sinclair to Sarah Young (who was the daughter of Robert Young and according to her death certificate her mother was Jane Young).

I haven't managed to find a birth of Sinclair Trantor but according to the 1841 census he was born out of county. I also can't find his death but he appears to be dead by the 1851 census.

His mother was Janet Trantor, nee Cormack and according to her death certificate she was the widow of Thomas Trantor, Sheriffs Officer. Her parents were William Cormack and Margaret Forbes. I'm afraid that I can't find anything else about Thomas Trantor senior, although Trantor/Tranter does not appear to be a particularly Scottish name and most of the names appear to come from Staffordshire and Shropshire.

Please feel free to contact me if I can help any further, similarly if you've managed to find out anything else I'd love to hear it!

alext
19-Nov-07, 10:58
Karen
I have sent you some info on pm, hope that helps.

Cmon folks if there is a Tranters brae, someone must have some info or reference somewhere......please?
:lol:

Tricia
22-Nov-07, 20:46
In 1871 Census - Clyth Estate, Latheron there is a John Trantor 30 with his wife Catherine Forbes 37? and her father James Forbes 72.
All born Clyth, Caithness.

You may have him already - son of Sinclair and Sarah born Oct 1840.
Note he married FORBES

Children of Sinclair and Sarah:
1. MARGARET YOUNG TRONTER - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 18 MAY 1834 Latheron, Caithness, Scotland
2. WILLIAM TRONTER - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 09 SEP 1838 Latheron, Caithness, Scotland
3. THOMAS TRONTER - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 10 JUN 1832 Latheron, Caithness, Scotland
4. ROBERT TRONTER - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 24 JUL 1836 Latheron, Caithness, Scotland
5. JOHN SUTHERLAND TRONTER - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 12 OCT 1840 Latheron, Caithness, Scotland
6. JANE TRONTER - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 04 OCT 1830 Latheron, Caithness, Scotland

Didn't find Alex birth in 1844/45 but see census below for 1901 1881.

1901 Alexander TRANTOR b 1846 app Lybster Caithness is in Burghead Moray with wife Mary 55 b South Uist and Daug Mary Trantor 12? b South Uist and g'daug Flora Trantor 5 b Burghead.

1881 He is in South Uist
Name: Alexander Trantor
Spouse: Mary
Birth: abt 1844 - Lathom Gaelic G, Caithness Shire (Should Be Latheron Caithness)
Residence: South Uist, Invernessshire
Can't find 1891 so far

Census 1881 Thomas Trantor b Caithness aged 46 married to a Marion aged 44(b wigtownshire scotland) is in Liverpool with several children (all b Liverpool) - he is a "Missionary (To Seamen)".
He is also in Liverpool 1891 and 1901.

Tricia

alext
25-Nov-07, 10:58
Thanks Tricia.

This is what I have ..............

GENERATION 'B'

Thomas Trantor = Janet Cormack born about 1773 Caithness
d. before May 1862 | died 2nd May 1862 Mavesy of Clyth
|
|
|
GEN 'C'|
b. abt 1806 Sinclair Trantor = Sarah Young b. abt 1808; died 1901 at Landhallow

not born in Caithness (born in Caithness)
m. Latheron Parish 1828
|
|
| | | | | | | |

GEN 'D'
Mary b.1829
Jane/ Jean/Janet b.1830 (m.G Waters)
Thomas b.1832 (m.J Cormack)
Margaret b.1834 (m.W MacLeod) )
Robert b.1836
William b.1838
John b.1840 (m C Forbes)
Alexander b.1844 (m.M.McIntyre)
TRANTOR
all born Latheron Parish, Caithness; dates approximate

thanks for the info

trinkie
25-Nov-07, 11:29
Trantor is not a name I have come across in my Line.... but good research Tricia !

If he was with the Mission in Liverpool, then they will have records.... it may be worth contacting them to see what they've got.

Perhaps even the local Deep Sea Mission will have something on him.
In a small community like ours, perhaps even the Salvation Army would have something anecdotal, it all adds up in the end.

Good Luck,
trinkie

Tricia
25-Nov-07, 23:41
Alext
You have now mentioned Cormack and Waters........
I shall have to search deeper(not tonight though)........ I have both names.

Do you have any more data on them?
Tricia

alext
26-Nov-07, 11:22
Sorry Tricia I dont have any further in that direction.
Howver I did send Kareng this hoping it might help her.

I did find a Thomas Trantor reference in my travels but didnt follow through as it wasnt a direct anticedant as such. You may have this, but...
http://freepages.history.rootsweb.co.../pages/19.html (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://freepages.history.rootsweb.com/~leighann/1881_strays/pages/19.html)
This certainly looks hopefull for you as it has Thomas at 46yrs in 1881.
He was logged a 9 in the 1841 census, so although the sums dont add up it probably is a result of close enoough is good denough record keeping a long time ago.

alext
26-Nov-07, 11:28
Hi Tricia
Any clues or suggestions on how i can trace Thomas Trantor who married Janet Cormack, the father of Sinclair?
I have come to a dead end having looked in a number of places??
cheers
Alex.

Tricia
26-Nov-07, 14:21
GEN 'D'
Mary b.1829
Jane/ Jean/Janet b.1830 (m.G Waters)
Thomas b.1832 (m.J Cormack)
Margaret b.1834 (m.W MacLeod) )
Robert b.1836
William b.1838
John b.1840 (m C Forbes)
Alexander b.1844 (m.M.McIntyre)
TRANTOR
all born Latheron Parish, Caithness; dates approximate

Hi Alex
Thomas b 1832 you show above marriage J Cormack - I take it you meant Thomas b late 1700s..........

Karen and Alex:

This is most likely the marriage of Thomas b 1832 who was in Liverpool for Census 1871(he a Bible Reader) 1881 1891 1901 (must be there 1861 but not found yet)
MARRIAGE:
Names Marion Conning Thomas Trantor
Year of Registration: 1859
Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun
District: Liverpool (1837-1934)
County: Lancashire
Volume: 8b Page: 383

Jane Trantor(Trontor) b 1830 Latheron m George Waters
24 SEP 1858 Latheron, Caithness, Scotland
Margaret Trantor(Trontor) b m William McLeod
23 NOV 1855 Latheron, Caithness, Scotland

John m Catherine Forbes and still in Latheron 1901.
John's mother Sarah aged 95 is with them in 1901.

Tricia
26-Nov-07, 17:55
1861 in Latheron
Mavesy
TRONTAR Sarah Head W F 54 Herring Net Weaver CAI Lybster
TRONTAR John Son U M 19 Shoemaker CAI Lybster
GREEN Thomasina Grndaur O F 6 Scholar CAI Clyth
TRONTAR Janet Malaw W F 89 Pauper CAI Latheronwheel

Margaret wife of W McLeod - with their children stayong at his parents in Burigill
MCLEOD James Head M M 66 Cooper CAI Watten
MCLEOD Lucy Wife M F 61 Do Wife SUT Loth
MCLEOD William Son M M 32 Cooper CAI Latheron
TROTTER Margaret Daulaw M F 26 Do Wife CAI Latheron
MCLEOD James Grnson O M 4 O CAI Latheron
MCLEOD Sinclair Grndaur O F 3 O CAI Latheron
MCLEOD Barbara Grndaur O F 2 O CAI Latheron

Mary is a servant in Shantry -in family home of
BURN George Head W M 32 Doctor of Med. Edin. Uni. MLN Edinburgh
TRANTOR Mary F. Serv. O F 29 Cook CAI Latheron

Alex is a Boarder in Clyth
MCKAY Margaret Head W F 59 Outdoor serv. CAI Halkirk
MCKAY Margaret Daur U F 29 Pauper CAI Clyth
MURRAY Robert Head U M 17 Cartwright CAI Wick
TRONTAR Alexander Boarder U M 17 Cartwright App. CAI Clyth
SINCLAIR Sidney Serv. U F 18 Dom. Serv. CAI Clyth

Jane with husband George Waters Fisherman and son Robert b1860 are in Wick 1861. They had another son John b 1861 and also a daughter Ann b Dec1858 died Jul 1859.
Jane Waters(Trontor) died 1861 ( I don't have cert but a J Waters died 1861 Caithness mothers name Cormack.)
George remarried 1863 Catherine McGregor dau of Donald McGregor/Marg Sutherland.
In 1871 George and Catherine are in Wick with Robert aged 11 John aged 9 and daugs Margaret 5 b 1865 and Catherine 2 (they also had Janet 1867 and Ann 1864 died infants)

Geo Waters and Catherine McGregor had illeg? son Hugh Waters or McGregor b Nov 1858. He is with g'parents MacGregor in Latheron 1871 aged 12. Can't find him in 1861 but his mother is with her parents.
He m Elizabeth Carnaby and is in Wick 1901 - dies Hugh MacGregor Waters 1937 aged in Wick.

You may have most of this but it may helps someone.
Tricia

alext
27-Nov-07, 00:40
Thanks Tricia, a lot of new info for me there, good stuff.

Can you tell me what the abbreviations highlighted mean?
I am assuming the M/F is gender, and the number is age.

TRONTAR Sarah Head W F 54 Herring Net Weaver CAI Lybster
TRONTAR John Son U M 19 Shoemaker CAI Lybster
GREEN Thomasina Grndaur O F 6 Scholar CAI Clyth
TRONTAR Janet Malaw W F 89 Pauper CAI Latheronwheel

MCLEOD Sinclair Grndaur O F 3 O CAI Latheron
MCLEOD Barbara Grndaur O F 2 O CAI Latheron

Re
Hi Alex
Thomas b 1832 you show above marriage J Cormack - I take it you meant Thomas b late 1700s..........
Yes my mistake.

Thx
Alex

Tricia
27-Nov-07, 12:56
Hi Alex

Column you queried showing married status
W = Widow
U = Unmarried
M = Married
O = they are children

The next column showing Occupations
O = against the children again -of course no occupation - sometimes it shows scholar here.

Hope this helps.
Tricia

alext
02-Dec-07, 07:44
Thanks Tricia,

Do you have any clues on how how i can either get more info on Thomas Trantor or back past him.
I am stuck at this point!:roll:

Tricia
03-Dec-07, 19:14
Sorry Alex - you seem to have traced a lot already. If they died pre 1855 not so easy to find unless a burial record somewhere.

From www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
deaths in Caithness 1855 - 1956 Tronter (soundex)

No Year Surname / Maiden Name Forename Mother's Surname Other Surnames Sex Age District City/County/MR GROS Data
1 1862 TRANTER JANET /FORBES /CORMACK F 89 LATHERON /CAITHNESS 038/00 0058
2 1866 TRANTOR MARGARET/ / MCLEOD F 31 LATHERON /CAITHNESS 038/00 0060
3 1923 TRONTOR CATHERINE/ / FORBES F 92 LATHERON /CAITHNESS 038/00 0016
4 1924 TRONTOR JOHN M 88 LATHERON /CAITHNESS 038/00 0044
5 1901 TRONTOR SARAH / / YOUNG F 95 LATHERON /CAITHNESS 038/00 0057

Kareng
29-Dec-07, 22:58
Hi Alex and Tricia
Thanks for all your help. I did have most of what you've come up with, so at least it means I've been on the right track! Like you I am totally stuck on Thomas Trantor senior. Im not convinced he was even born in Scotland as it doesn't appear to be a very Scottish surname and Im not sure where to go now. I have also been unable to find a death for Sinclair Trantor although he must die between 1841 and 1851 according to the census records.
Still I'll keep looking!
Karen

Murray872
17-Mar-08, 20:08
Hi Alex, I suspect we are distant relatives and I stumbled across this site a few days ago when looking for something else. My full name is Robert Sinclair Murray Trantor and my father's brothers were called Alexander and John. He was called Robert McKenzie Trantor. His father was Robert Sinclair Trantor and his father was Alexander Trantor whose father was Sinclair Trantor. Alexander Trantor was a ships carpenter and moved to South Lochboisdale, South Uist in the Hebrides. His brother William and his family emigrated to the Canadian prairies in the 1920s. My father talked about an "Uncle" Thomas who lived in South Africa and I met him once about 50 years ago at Burghead where my father's cousin Sarah lived. My father also had cousins that lived at Lossiemouth. Hope this helps.

Murray

alext
23-May-08, 20:03
Well we have had some pictures uncovered, along with stories of a Tom Trantor emigrating to South Africa, looking into reports of him having (possibley) served in the ARN WWI.