PDA

View Full Version : Sibster Forest

richardj
30-Dec-12, 17:55
We stopped for a few minutes at the picnic and car park area for Sibster Forest (near Georgemas Junction) - signs up saying no entry. Has anyone any idea when this will be open.

It does seem a shame to turn a viable farm into woodland especially as they are talking about turning lots of forest back into bog / moorland.

beetlecrusher
30-Dec-12, 19:23
There was supposed to be a grand opening by the Forestry Commission earlier this year I think, but because of heavy rain the land was waterlogged and it was postponed. Haven't heard anything further unfortunately.

Roger Hughes
02-Jan-13, 21:23
Your comparison is an apples and pears one: The areas ofCaithness where non-native trees have / are being removed to restore the landto bog is being done so because the land, certainly since the retreat of theice age, never had significant woodland cover – the true Flow Country nowis much as it was post ice age. Whereas the relatively poor quality farmland atSibster would have contained native woodland cover (hazel, downy birch etc.) priorto being turned into farmland many centuries ago.

We stopped for a few minutes at the picnic and car park area for Sibster Forest (near Georgemas Junction) - signs up saying no entry. Has anyone any idea when this will be open.

It does seem a shame to turn a viable farm into woodland especially as they are talking about turning lots of forest back into bog / moorland.

ducati
02-Jan-13, 23:17
Your comparison is an apples and pears one: The areas ofCaithness where non-native trees have / are being removed to restore the landto bog is being done so because the land, certainly since the retreat of theice age, never had significant woodland cover – the true Flow Country nowis much as it was post ice age. Whereas the relatively poor quality farmland atSibster would have contained native woodland cover (hazel, downy birch etc.) priorto being turned into farmland many centuries ago.

Whatever, I think they should have grown the trees before building the carpark. For the next 30 or 40 years we will going for a walk around a field. :mad:

richardj
03-Jan-13, 11:05
Roger

Good points. I am just not sure that the logic of cutting down existing forest to turn it back into bog that was originally formed 20 thousand years ago is logical. I know of the arguments about using it as a carbon store etc, I just do not agree that it makes sense or will make any difference to "climate change". There is surely enough of the Flow country left as bog to sustain the wildlife and flora that need this type of environment.