PDA

View Full Version : ADSL2+ Now Available in Thurso

Bobinovich
15-Nov-12, 23:13
Just a quick note to let Org folks in Thurso know that ADSL2+ is now alive & kicking on the Thurso exchange. As of around 5pm today I went live and my router is reporting a very healthy 19.47Mbps download speed and a 0.864Mbps upload speed. I've not had chance to run a speedtest from a wired system yet but the BT Wholesale Availability Checker (http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome) reckons I'll typically get about 17Mbps once the initial 10 day settling period is done.

So, anyone on the Thurso exchange (unfortunately not outlying areas as far as I know, but if you do get a positive report feel free to post & let others know) wanting or needing a speed boost, can use the above checker to test your line, and if it reports you might be able to receive ADSL2+ then you can contact your broadband provider to see what an upgrade is likely to cost.

gollach
15-Nov-12, 23:40
Do BT Broadband customers need to request an upgrade or do we get this faster service automatically?

Bobinovich
15-Nov-12, 23:58
I'm unsure tbh - their website states they will automatically give you the best speed depending on the package you're on (if anyone's not sure they should be able to work it out from this page (http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=25633)). They may well migrate everyone across over time, but it seems harmless enough to give them a nudge to go sooner rather than waiting :D.

The Angel Of Death
16-Nov-12, 00:25
Any word on the wick exchange ?

I thought the two were pretty much mirrored ?

dx100uk
16-Nov-12, 00:27
sadly thurso is the only one on this run

wick is not even mentioned!!!

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5388-bt-wholesale-continues-its-21cn-adsl2-roll-out.html

dx

RecQuery
16-Nov-12, 09:39
It went live for some at about 15:00 on Wednesday, suppose it depends on your ISP or DSLAM. I'd like to point out that's it a rolling process so not everyone on the Exchange will be switched over yet. If you want better upload speeds be sure to request Annex M also. Everyone regardless of ISP will be upgraded automatically. You might need to check that your router can support ADSL2+ though otherwise you'll continue to get the same speeds.

No word on the Wick exchange which is annoying as both pretty much have the same amount of broadband subscribers (4000-4500). I think Wick actually has slightly more. If this is another thing Wick will get screwed over then I'll be pretty annoyed.

Kodiak
16-Nov-12, 13:11
I wonder if this is what has mucked up my BB as right at this second I am getting a Download speed of ONLY 140 Kbps and 373 Kbps upload. Not often you see a slower Download speed than the Upload. Took me ages to post this.

http://i.imgur.com/T2hEZ.jpg

Flynn
16-Nov-12, 19:46
Wait until you get fibre to the cabinet (FTTC), you'll be getting download speeds up to 72mb/s and upload speeds of over 16mb/s. This was just now while also streaming BBC iPlayer:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2312249282.png

Kodiak
16-Nov-12, 20:03
Fibre Optic up here in Caithness, I'll believe it when I see it but I doubt that we will ever get that, at least not in my lifetime.

gleeber
16-Nov-12, 20:35
I dont get his speed thing. I remember dial-up. That was faster than concorde and people were only dreaming about Broadband. Now we have broadband and its too slow. I can be in Australia within a few seconds of logging on. Sometimes it takes me longer to log onto the org than it does to go to San Francisco. I play draughts with the Chinese and they can beat me before I even move. How fast do you need it? :eek:

Flynn
16-Nov-12, 20:50
The speed becomes useful when you start downloading music, films from places like iTunes, Netflix etc. A 1.5Gb film takes about 5 minutes for me to download, on my old 6 to 8mb/s connection it took over 45 minutes.

gleeber
16-Nov-12, 21:49
That makes sense. Mind you whatever the speed the technology behind the whole thing is breathtaking.

Bilbster
16-Nov-12, 22:51
Heard Wick was going in Febuary but that is not from official sources.

Flynn
17-Nov-12, 08:56
Fibre Optic up here in Caithness, I'll believe it when I see it but I doubt that we will ever get that, at least not in my lifetime.

It may not be as far away as you imagine: http://www.investcaithness.com/news/archive/8m-fibre-spine-link-to-boost-broadband-speeds-in-north

Shaggy
17-Nov-12, 16:55
Wick exchange is a crock of s**t at the moment. Everyone who isn't a BT customer is being screwed over with their internet package by being dumped on a congested node (Hot VP being the tech speak for this problem) Internet speed is fine off-peak but drops to as little as .2mb during peak times. I have been complaining solidly for 3 months now about this and its only this week i have been told i will be moved to a non congested node within 7 days. Also according to the BT engineer who was sent to fix my non-existent line faults he says that there is a known problem with one of the main cables coming out of wick exchange and they only transfer customers off it when they complain about the internet service so if you have slow speed in wick, unless you whinge about it, you will not get anywhere.

*Martin*
22-Nov-12, 14:13
Bob, did you have to enter into another years contract with BT? I've just come off the phone and they are saying to up my speed I need to enter a new 12 month contract.

They offered me
Free calls after 7 (never use the landline anyway)
Unlimited BB
BT Vision free for the year
for £31.50

Bobinovich
22-Nov-12, 14:21
Hi Martin, yes I did but only for my broadband (even though my phone is through them too) as I'm with BT's Business wing, rather than domestic. It was a no-brainer for me as I'm quite happy with the service from BT, so another year was fine.

*Martin*
22-Nov-12, 14:28
Perfect thanks!

How long after your call did you have to wait to get the faster speeds?

Bobinovich
22-Nov-12, 14:35
7 days ... the anticipation was a killer lol

*Martin*
22-Nov-12, 14:35
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

outsidethebox
22-Nov-12, 14:52
mine is due for completion tomorrow, can hardly wait! ;-)

Mr P Cannop
22-Nov-12, 15:46
how can i check this ??

Bobinovich
22-Nov-12, 16:32
how can i check this ??

The link to the Broadband Availability Checker is in the first post - that'll tell you if your phone line will support the faster speed, & if so you can then contact your ISP to find out the cost & order.

RecQuery
22-Nov-12, 16:51
Right now we're getting about 12Mbps down and 1.4 Mbps up. That still seems low for an ADSL2+ service to me given our line stats. Going to swap out the router tomorrow see if that has any improvement but failing that I'll suspect them of putting some artificial caps in place.

Then again all the exchanges in the area have VP issues so perhaps that's to blame.

gillsbay
22-Nov-12, 17:17
Right now we're getting about 12Mbps down and 1.4 Mbps up. That still seems low for an ADSL2+ service to me given our line stats. Going to swap out the router tomorrow see if that has any improvement but failing that I'll suspect them of putting some artificial caps in place.

Then again all the exchanges in the area have VP issues so perhaps that's to blame.

Annex M can reduce your download speed as they use some of the frequencies to give the higher upload.
I was upgraded about 10 days ago, have a profile of just over 20Mbps and am seeing 17 to 18 on speedtests, however I am still on 0.5Mbps upload might give them a nudge one of these days to see if I can get the ADSL2+ norm of 1Mbps but do not use upload much so not really bothered.

Angel
22-Nov-12, 22:20
is anybody having problems with normal Broadband... I cant get to Tiscali at all for a couple of days... is it to do with this new ASDL thingy... good thing is the org is faster...

Angel...

Flynn
23-Nov-12, 08:46

To get the best speed possible from your connection, connect your computer to the router via a Cat5e ethernet cable.

I only use my wifi for phones, tablets etc. the computer and games console are always connected via ethernet as it is more secure and faster than wifi. When you test your speed use Speedtest.net.

*Martin*
23-Nov-12, 12:22
Got mine ordered last night! They wanted £50 for a BT Vision box so I got them to take an extra £4 a month off the bill instead!

Roll on the 29th!

Mr P Cannop
24-Nov-12, 20:47
dont get BT Vision its rubbish

Kodiak
24-Nov-12, 23:59
Annex M can reduce your download speed as they use some of the frequencies to give the higher upload.
I was upgraded about 10 days ago, have a profile of just over 20Mbps and am seeing 17 to 18 on speedtests, however I am still on 0.5Mbps upload might give them a nudge one of these days to see if I can get the ADSL2+ norm of 1Mbps but do not use upload much so not really bothered.

What ISP are you with to get speeds like that? I ask as I am thinking of changing as my speed is so slow.

gillsbay
25-Nov-12, 13:05
What ISP are you with to get speeds like that? I ask as I am thinking of changing as my speed is so slow.

I am with Plusnet, but I am also fairly close to the exchange, any ISP should be able to put you on ADSL2+ but some for reasons of their own some will not, check http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome
to see what speed they estimate for your line, they gave 17Mbps for mine, speed depends on various factors, line length/quality and internal wiringbeing the main ones.
Since all ISPs use the same infrastructure up here then changing provider may not make much difference, if you are on ADSL perhaps the first thing to do (after checking at above link) is to ask about being moved to ADSL2.

ducati
26-Nov-12, 14:26
Out here in the wild and woollys, you can't get any ISP except BT and they were reluctant. Having said that the BB speed and the BB phone service is OK. Forget any telly that doesn't come down a satalite though. :roll:

Sanyo
27-Nov-12, 06:11
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2334309575.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Living in Keiss this is the best speeds I can get here. The Download speed I don't mind, but the Upload speed is pretty bad..

RecQuery
27-Nov-12, 10:04
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2334309575.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Living in Keiss this is the best speeds I can get here. The Download speed I don't mind, but the Upload speed is pretty bad..

It's bad in general but it's standard to good on an up to 8Mbps ADSL connection which can only get a max upload of 448kbps. About the only choice for better upload speeds is to get a Network Plus/Premium upload package which will increase your upload to something in the 800-900kbps range.

outsidethebox
27-Nov-12, 11:45
After getting ADSL2+ activated last friday this morning I'm getting 14.3Mb/s down and 0.95Mb/s up, very pleased with that.

Kodiak
27-Nov-12, 15:18
For the past while I have speeds so slow it was like using a Dial Up.

Then out of the Blue I received a Phone call from EE, the company who used to be Orange, Orange being my ISP. They asked me if I was happy with my Broadband. You can imagine what I said.

So they promised me to make sure I would get at least 6MB or if not more than that. Well since then my speed has gone right up. Once I actually registered 52MB for a few seconds.

It is now starting to settle down and I am getting 14MB to 16MB during the day and in the evening, after 6.30pm to about 11pm I am getting 5MB to 6MB.

I just hope this stays like this, I am keeping my fingers crossed.