PDA

View Full Version : Rag rug

favuncle
14-Nov-12, 15:37
Can anyone give me advice on how to clean a rag rug. It's been up in our attic for few years & could do with a wash to freshen it up?

trinkie
14-Nov-12, 16:03
I love rag rugs... Is it too big for the washing machine ? The ones I have are mainly cotton and can be washed easily.
Otherwise, give it a good hoover and then sponge it with a mild detergent and put it over the line if the weather is suitable.
Good luck.

favuncle
14-Nov-12, 16:44
yes it would be too big to put in machine. Have hoovered it& was going to put on washing line to air it but it's too heavy. Will try your suggestions Trinkie to see how it goes. Don't want to damage it as it was made by my granny&grandad many years ago.

Kathy@watten
14-Nov-12, 18:08
Wee sprinkle of bicarbonate of soda and spray lightly with water, let dry naturally and this freshens up stuff you can't wash in machine without leaving a febreezy smell.

favuncle
14-Nov-12, 18:37
Thanks for bicarbonate of soda idea, think I'll try that 1st & if still needed will use sponge/detergent. Thank you both for your help:)

Beat Bug
14-Nov-12, 19:39
Wash it in the bath with Woolite or Stergene. Half fill the bath with tepid water, pouring the liquid of your choice in at the same time so as to make suds. Lower the rug into the bath, and gently push it down to absorb the soapy water. Squeeze gently for a few minutes, then leave for about 15 minutes. Drain the water from the bath, easing the rug away from the plug hole. Let as much water as possible drain away before half filling the bath again, and repeat the gentle squeezing action. Rinse like this a few times until the water looks reasonably clean. Once the last water has drained away, push down on the rolled rug to extract any excess water. If it is so big and heavy it needs two people to lift it, use a bath towel to help with lifting it out. Drying it might be difficult this time of year, but during the summer months it could lay out on the lawn, on a towel or blanket, until it's dry enough to hang up to finish off drying. I did this with a Jacob fleece I bought earlier this year, I just used an old net curtain to contain the fibres. It worked a treat!

favuncle
16-Nov-12, 10:25
Thanks Beat Bug, as I said in earlier post I'm going to try easiest options 1st & if needed will try others. Will need bit of help if I need to wash it in bath but I'm sure my daughter, who loves cleaning anyway, will help me.