PDA

View Full Version : Don't Leave it TOO LATE

Kingetter
15-Dec-06, 17:02
I have wanted to visit the old ancestral home for a number of years but never got there. When I finally did, what I found saddened me for I had left it too late.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i102/OpenandShut/ScottishWorld/-16.jpg

The photo tells the story.

quality
15-Dec-06, 17:09
Hi Kingetter,

I visited mine a few years ago, it was even worse their was nothing the whole place had been demolished and leveled out.

Kingetter
15-Dec-06, 17:13
Yup. That pic and many others I have were taken during the demolition process - now, there's a housing estate with overpriced rabbit hutches instead.

doorwoman
15-Dec-06, 17:54
What a shame! And all in the name of progress eh?
Planning on my 1st trip north of the border in May. Trouble is, i've only got 7 days to fit in Edinburgh, Inverness, Dornoch, Moulin & Wick!
Only just found my ancestors whereabouts in the last week or so, therefore haven't had a chance to do it before, mores the shame.
All the best to you all!

Kingetter
15-Dec-06, 17:59
Yes. The farm was over 200 years old, maybe much older - I've not got back much further.

doorwoman
15-Dec-06, 18:26
My husband & I have only just managed to make any headway into our tree. We have been lucky enough to be able to trace most of the scottish roots back to the mid to late 1700's, but without visiting I doubt we'll get any further back through the internet.
It seems like the clearances pushed my ancestors up north from Dornoch & Lairg to settle for half a century in Wick.
Can't wait to visit!

Kingetter
15-Dec-06, 18:36
You will be busy, that's for sure. I wish you luck though I suggest you will need more than that.