PDA

View Full Version : The dreaded "sick bug"

annemarie482
05-Nov-12, 10:26
Once again "the sick bug" is rife,
My Facebook newsfeed (sorry for mentioning the f word!)
is full of households all hit with it this weekend.
But is it just me, or is it happening more often?
Is it actually going away or just being passed around?
Or is it just that we are more aware of it due to the likes of Facebook? (oops there it is again)

Are we over sanitising that our kids have poor immune systems?
Or are the bugs mutating to much stronger bugs?
Are people not able to take time off and putting kids to school before they are fit and its spreading?
Are the cleaners not thorough enough in schools?
Or has this always been this bad, and I've just forgotten lol
I really don't know.

But I do know that in the last three weeks all three of my wee ones have gone from chicken pox to this bug and its just not nice :( hopefully it'll pass soon.

Oh and for those who have had it recently, just out of interest, how long did it last, and what meds worked or you? x

Southern-Gal
05-Nov-12, 10:51
Viruses are always more obvious when all the children go back to school after a holiday. It will be the same a week or so after the Christmas holidays too. We will all have visitors from other areas or go visiting ourselves then come home with new bugs lurking ready to infect new people that dont have the immunity to that particular bug. Five days is the average incubation period for new viruses to make their new host ill but they are infectious before that so they are spreading the virus before they know they are poorly often which is how it gets spread about.
I think you just notice it much more when you have little ones to look after, times it by three and you will definitely notice it :(
Hope they are better soon.

annemarie482
05-Nov-12, 11:01
I totally agree.
(Just thought it might turn the conversations off windmills for a while)
Unless the windmills are causing it! :eek: :roll:

starfish
05-Nov-12, 11:46
i personally think we are to clean every thing we use had a power to clean 99.9% of bugs gearms ect. So when we do get one our bodies can not cope . Look how granny use to live no fridges ect a joint bought for sunday dinner was eaten for varies meals till it was eaten no thrown out like today. It was just keep in a meat safe in a cold place. Also kids are not allowed to get dirty play mud pies ect as soon a parents see a speck of dirt on them out comes the disefecant wipes.

pat
05-Nov-12, 11:58
Over washing and sanitising not allowing normal immunity to be built up, reliance on antibiotics but non-compliance with prescription information, too many children who do not go out to play but stay in sealed/overheated/overcleansed homes to play computer games therefore not building their natural immunity, making them more susceptable to any bugs around.

Your children may have lower immunity due to their recent bout of chickenpox, hope they avoid it or do not bring it home to you.

RecQuery
05-Nov-12, 12:05
Ignoring the cereal box wisdom and old wives tales which quite frankly know nothing immunology and just go after the same old targets - I wish people would change the music file already.

In general terms people just need to practise some basic hygiene. Wash your hands thoroughly especially before touching your face, preparing food or eating, cover your mouth and nose properly when coughing or sneezing. If possible avoid contact with sick people, if sick don't go outside. If offered a flu shot or any other vaccination, take it. Finally don't request antibiotics for every little thing - I've seen people with the cold which is a virus request antibiotics for it (placebo effect at best) and if you do need antibiotics them complete the entire course.

Winter vomiting bug/norovirus spreads via the fecal–oral route so washing hands and surfaces is especially important.