PDA

View Full Version : Tesco Wick using Bio Diesel additives

Bertieboy
01-Nov-12, 20:44
Has anyone else noticed that "Tesco" Wick, is adding 7% recycled cooking oil to their diesel? They are charging £1.43 litre for it too. Recently whilst filling up in Inverness, I noticed that they don't add any bio diesel and charge £1.39 litre. Looks like they are taking advantage of us here in Caithness.....:mad:

rennies
01-Nov-12, 20:59
Where does it tell you this? I am interested so that I can keep a look out!

captain chaos
01-Nov-12, 21:26
All diesel in the UK contains at least 5% bio and it is not a legal requirement to tell you at the pump upto 7% bio if memory serves

Biodiesel is added by law, the oil producers are required to add 5% Bio-diesel at present.

Tesco,Asda,Morrisons and most major suppliers are now adding 7% as this will become the minimum when EU regulations come in.

Road Transport Fuel Obligation (RTFO) requires that the UK has 5% of biofuel added to diesel across the nation . Not just Tesco in Caithness!!!

Bertieboy
01-Nov-12, 21:47
Hi, there is a label stuck to the pump.no label on the pumps in Inverness.

captain chaos
01-Nov-12, 22:18
As I mentioned above there is no legal requirement to label the pump.

The increase from 5% to 7% is due to EU legislation, and using 7% in a ordinary diesel engine is fine as the diesel blend complies with EN 590 “Automotive fuels – Diesel – Requirements and test methods” and the used biodiesel complies with EN 14214 "Automotive fuels - Fatty acid methyl esters (FAME) for diesel engines – Requirements and test methods”. So should you experience any problems using the fuel you will not void the factory warranty of your vehicle.

sids
02-Nov-12, 00:14
Hi, there is a label stuck to the pump.no label on the pumps in Inverness.

Maybe you should edit your first post to say just that.

Glynsu
02-Nov-12, 00:20
I have just come up from Inverness. £1.389 for deisel.
Morrisons in Alness are £1.399 for deisel.
Asda at Tain is £1.389.

Why does Wick always have to be more expensive at £1.439 for deisel.

Alrock
02-Nov-12, 01:22
All diesel in the UK contains at least 5% bio and it is not a legal requirement to tell you at the pump upto 7% bio if memory serves

Biodiesel is added by law, the oil producers are required to add 5% Bio-diesel at present.

Tesco,Asda,Morrisons and most major suppliers are now adding 7% as this will become the minimum when EU regulations come in.

Road Transport Fuel Obligation (RTFO) requires that the UK has 5% of biofuel added to diesel across the nation . Not just Tesco in Caithness!!!

What happens if there is a Biodiesel shortage?
Do they have to limit the amount of diesel available at the pumps in order to comply with the law?

I have just come up from Inverness. £1.389 for deisel.
Morrisons in Alness are £1.399 for deisel.
Asda at Tain is £1.389.

Why does Wick always have to be more expensive at £1.439 for deisel.

I know the usual reply will be "logistics, it costs more to transport it here"... But... I ask you... Is there that much variation in the prices of the other products that the Supermarkets sell depending on distance from source?

andyw
02-Nov-12, 10:02
That must be at least £2000 delivery extra cost from tain to wick per load, 45000 ltr x 0.05p

Invisible
02-Nov-12, 10:08
Tesco Wick have always (as far back as I can remember) had a sticker stating 7% bio diesel. Granted now the stickers may be worn.

mi16
02-Nov-12, 10:16
Tesco Wick have always (as far back as I can remember) had a sticker stating 7% bio diesel. Granted now the stickers may be worn.

I paid 138.696p at Pennyland in Thurso last night for Diesel.

secretsquirrel
02-Nov-12, 10:57
All I know is that once late at night in an emergency I filled my car with diesel from tesco wick i had problems with power and smooth running afterwards. Also there was a lot of bubbling sound when filling the tank. I normally use Dunnett's fuel in wick and have no problems.

I looked on the internet and found others had similar problems.

Also bio-diesel is not just made from recycled cooking oil. I would refer Bertieboy to -

http://www.esru.strath.ac.uk/EandE/Web_sites/02-03/biofuels/what_biodiesel.htm

ducati
03-Nov-12, 20:26
I wouldn't worry about it. Diesels will run on pretty much any light oil. Anyone who has blown a turbo will know how enthusiastically they run on sump oil :lol:

George Brims
05-Nov-12, 21:54
My daughter and her husband used to run their big Toyota diesel pickup on 100% bio diesel with no problems. I don't know if you can buy it in the UK but over here you can get a kit that will let you filter and process leftover cooking oil to use in fuel. I've read that you can tell when someone is using oil from a donut shop as the exhaust smells great!

George Brims
05-Nov-12, 21:55
That must be at least £2000 delivery extra cost from tain to wick per load, 45000 ltr x 0.05p
Good point!