PDA

View Full Version : Who has been tampering with my PMs

Naefearjustbeer
14-Dec-06, 21:02
Went into my PMs tonight to retrieve a web link I had been sent only to find it has been masked with symbols lots of ###############'s instead of the url. I though the whole point of PMs were that they were PRIVATE [evil] Anyone else notice this or is it just me! I thought masking with symbols was against the rules of the forum.

Stewart
14-Dec-06, 21:11
Well, if there's something illegal, or otherwise bad there, then I don't see why it shouldn't be deleted. And admins should be able to see your PMs, if not through the forum, through the database.

crashbandicoot1979
14-Dec-06, 21:11
Went into my PMs tonight to retrieve a web link I had been sent only to find it has been masked with symbols lots of ###############'s instead of the url. I though the whole point of PMs were that they were PRIVATE [evil] Anyone else notice this or is it just me! I thought masking with symbols was against the rules of the forum.

Same thing happened to the web link I had in my PMs.

Naefearjustbeer
14-Dec-06, 21:19
Well, if there's something illegal, or otherwise bad there, then I don't see why it shouldn't be deleted. And admins should be able to see your PMs, if not through the forum, through the database.

No nothing bad or illegal. Oh well so Private doesnt really mean private then. Its like Big Brother in here sometimes [evil]

Oddquine
14-Dec-06, 21:22
I've never used invision board, so I don't know how it is set up............but it is certainly possible that weblinks are automatically masked......or masked after a certain length of time. Might be a security issue....but can't see that anybody would go to the bother of trawling through hundreds of PMs to mask some URLs..because I have one I can still access..but it was sent within the last few days.

My forum is a little one compared to this one, but I have upwards of 600 PMs stored on the database. I can't directly access members accounts as admin...and wouldn't have the time to check out all the PMs in the database if I wanted to do that.

Wouldn't this be something it would be better, in the current climate, to ask Colin by PM?

Stewart
14-Dec-06, 21:25
No nothing bad or illegal. Oh well so Private doesnt really mean private then. Its like Big Brother in here sometimes [evil]

My opinion is that it's their site, they can do as they wish, you did agree to it when you signed up.

angela5
14-Dec-06, 21:30
My opinion is that it's their site, they can do as they wish, you did agree to it when you signed up.

Agree to what Stewart?

Oddquine
14-Dec-06, 21:32

I'd be very surprised if admin are checking out PMs, whatever we agreed to on joining........and if they did, why wouldn't they just delete them, rather than masking URLs?

That way, nobody would have noticed, and nobody would have complained.

I often prune PMs, because my crowd don't tend to unless their boxes are full and somebody tells them.

Naefearjustbeer
14-Dec-06, 21:32

Aye well it is difficult to know what to do these days when the goalposts appear to be shifting all the time. The reason I posted here was because of the current climate it is about time things were more transparent around here. Instead of the sneaky underhand ways thing have been going and obviosly still are happening now.

angela5
14-Dec-06, 21:34
I'd be very surprised if admin are checking out PMs,

Aye your not the only one a lot of us would be very surprised. I don't remember reading in the rules that i must agree to the Admin reading my private messages.

Oddquine
14-Dec-06, 21:36
Aye well it is difficult to know what to do these days when the goalposts appear to be shifting all the time. The reason I posted here was because of the current climate it is about time things were more transparent around here. Instead of the sneaky underhand ways thing have been going and obviosly still are happening now.

Honestly, that ain't necessarily so, Naefearjustbeer.

It does depend on how the database and script have been set up.....but I'm not familiar with Invision board setups, just phpBB ones.

Oddquine
14-Dec-06, 21:38
Aye your not the only one a lot of us would be very surprised. I don't remember reading in the rules that i must agree to the Admin reading my private messages.

And I am quite sure they are not..........there aren't enough hours in a day.

Naefearjustbeer
14-Dec-06, 21:41
What ever has been done has been done in the past few days as I had been using the PM as a way of retrieving the link so something or somebody has done something recently to blank that link out. It did work when I first recieved it, why not now and how dare someone tamper with my messages. They may own the forum but it doesnt give the right to tamper with private messages. I think I shall go now as I am sick of this place tonight [evil]

crashbandicoot1979
14-Dec-06, 21:41
I don't believe that admin are reading every single PM but there must be a reason why the web page was being masked out, but I can't see why. There was no swear words in it and it doesn't lead to a dodgy website.

Colin Manson
14-Dec-06, 21:47
Some users were Linking to a website via links in their posts, I checked the website but I was unable to verify the content (User access only) I don't have time nor the inclination to sign up to every website of this type.

Therefore I added the link to the Censorship Options to prevent linking to this site. I exchanged PMs with one member who asked why I'd removed the link from his signature and I provided an explanation, I wont permit website links to site which may contain illegal or adult material.

Had these links only been sent to friends via PM I would never have known about it but since some people were advertising it in their posts I had no option but to take action.

Kaishowing
14-Dec-06, 22:06
Just to update you, the main page is now unlocked as is a section for guests to post in. There are still areas that are registered members only, but now anyone can post if they wish.
There is no illegal material on that website, but if you mean there is almost zero censorship of the comments posted, then you could term it as adult.
I don't expect you to review your decision however.
(but the invitation to join still stands)

Oddquine
14-Dec-06, 22:13
Just to update you, the main page is now unlocked as is a section for guests to post in. There are still areas that are registered members only, but now anyone can post if they wish.
There is no illegal material on that website, but if you mean there is almost zero censorship of the comments posted, then you could term it as adult.
I don't expect you to review your decision however.
(but the invitation to join still stands)

The problem appears to be that Admin couldn't ascertain what was on the site at all, Kaishowing. Perhaps they might remove the block now you have opened it up a bit.

However, it does appear that they have not been checking emails.......which addresses Naefearjustbeers worries.

Mamabear
15-Dec-06, 00:23

I didnt agree to anybody looking at my pm`s[evil] Least of all a total stranger on my local website.If that was the case , they could forewarn us that they were going to look at our pm`s from time to time. Even then, that s not on really, now is it Stewart??

ice box
15-Dec-06, 00:32
My opinion is that it's their site, they can do as they wish, you did agree to it when you signed up.How would you feel if read your private mail Private means private i would be very peaed off if someone was reading my mail without me knowing .

grantyg
15-Dec-06, 00:43
I have to say I agree that some links should be banned because I use a message board that doesn`t get moderated till the weekday setup and the stuff that gets posted is unreal - specially where there is no age limit - so I accept the fact that to modereate a forum and set the acceptable limits is essintial otherwise links from the site that you thought innocent could lead off into the dark (probably soon to be sued) depths that other free for all websites descend too!

Coolio
15-Dec-06, 00:47
HAve you tried evening primrose oil?

grantyg
15-Dec-06, 01:04
no but tincture of myrhh is great for cold sores

dozerboy
15-Dec-06, 13:52

I thought everyone would be aware that there is never such a thing as private on a pc - as soon as you connect to a network, be it intranet, internet or whatever - you can never be sure who can see or access what. If you don't want others to see it, or alter it, don't put it there in the first place!!

I realise trying to transfer a URL is not easy by another means, but I can fully understand what Colin has said about this one. He has to protect all users of this site, and if the content of a site accessed through a link on here can't be obtained, then it should be blocked.

Perhaps a normal email would have been a little more private.......

krieve
15-Dec-06, 14:01
but I can fully understand what Colin has said about this one. He has to protect all users of this site,
Lol this makes me laugh!

danc1ngwitch
15-Dec-06, 14:11
no no no no no no no NOOOOOOO my personal pm's should be mine hell if i was to be receiving naughty things then ur telling me they would all know about it... Swipes my brow aswell i was behaving [lol]

Stewart
15-Dec-06, 14:17
I didnt agree to anybody looking at my pm`s[evil] Least of all a total stranger on my local website.If that was the case , they could forewarn us that they were going to look at our pm`s from time to time. Even then, that s not on really, now is it Stewart??

I'm of the opinion that when you're on someone's pitch, you play by their rules. If the admins see it fit to read PMs, then I don't have a problem with it. But only if they have a proper reason, and aren't just being nosey.

angela5
15-Dec-06, 14:41
I'm of the opinion that when you're on someone's pitch, you play by their rules. If the admins see it fit to read PMs, then I don't have a problem with it. But only if they have a proper reason, and aren't just being nosey.

Well looking into something that is private is being plain nosey.
By all means Stewart 'play by the rules' but does it actually say that in the rules that you agree to Admin reading your private messages?:confused

bobsgirl
15-Dec-06, 15:34
Nowhere has it actually said that anyone was looking into the pm's. Surely they can only look at this content if they have been given permission to do so!
I know that I would not be happy if someone was reading my private messages but do they not have to be able to do this in case anyone is being 'bullied' as such through Pming??

Stewart
15-Dec-06, 15:46
When you signed up to these forums, or anything on the internet, you gave up any expectation you had to contain anything you said between one or two people.

The admins of this site are responsible for removing anything they feel is questionable, no matter where it is, they shouldn't need to ask for permission to look at anything on their own site.

angela5
15-Dec-06, 16:18
When you signed up to these forums, or anything on the internet, you gave up any expectation you had to contain anything you said between one or two people.

The admins of this site are responsible for removing anything they feel is questionable, no matter where it is, they shouldn't need to ask for permission to look at anything on their own site.

Questionable, Is pm'ing another member you have made friends with "questionable"? I'd like to think what i am discussing remains 'private'.
No-one has a right to look into anything that is marked 'private' [evil]

If i had a problem with pm's where i felt i was being bullied then i would complain and ask the admin to look into my pm's.

They should not be selecting random pm's and having a wee nosey at what's being discussed.

When stewart are you going to understand the meaning of 'private'?

If i am shown in the rules it say's "pm's are not private the admin can look into them whenever they choose" and i have signed up to this then i'll say no more.

macleod_callum
15-Dec-06, 16:35
Calm down.

No one has been looking at your PM's.

If you read Colin's message it explains that the URL was added to the censorship programme. The URL was therefore automatically blanked out, as it would have been if you had tried to use it on the forum.

Naefearjustbeer
16-Dec-06, 11:23
I now know why the url disapeared, I understand his reason, It doesnt mean I agree with his reason. I now also realise it was an automatic thing rather than someone going into my inbox and editing my message specifically or even reading my PMs although I do know it is posible to do so if the admins so wish and that it has been done before on this site (not too me). I will think twice about using the PMs in the future as they are not Private. So going by that theory anything I say in a PM is just as well being made public on the forum.