PDA

View Full Version : Buying stuff and saving on your electricity bill

Rheghead
30-Oct-12, 22:40
If you are thinking of buying a new appliance after the old one has died and you want to get a new energy efficient replacement then why not try this website to help you find what you want?

http://www.sust-it.net

shazzap
30-Oct-12, 23:16
Thank you.

Rheghead
30-Oct-12, 23:27
You are very welcome.

My current TV was bought at Tesco off the shelf just after they opened. I measured its in use/standby power useage as 120w/15w. I found an equivalent size tv on this site that was 30w/0.3w! :eek:

I think my telly will last another 5 years but it makes economic and environmental sense to just replace it now.

shazzap
30-Oct-12, 23:54
I usually just go by the A ratings. More A's less energy used.

Dadie
31-Oct-12, 00:52
I usually go by A ratings ...but my not rated as its so old tumble drier actually uses less energy to dry my bath towels and mats than my super duper AA+ rated tumble dryer! It takes about half the time to dry them but it only operates on a timer and doesnt have a dryness sensor to cut off when dry so would keep going other than the fact I know 90 mins is more than enough for anything!
Plus the fact that per dry its now costing me about 2p(or less) in the cost per dry from cost price as new..for the retail price per dry! £300 cost new divided by amount of uses.....say 3 loads per day (usual in our house) and in summer not much use(one load or less a day)....so about 600 loads a year and the machine is over 10 yo.....(plus energy usage of course, BUT SOLAR HELPS!)