PDA

View Full Version : Livestock on side roads

Invisible
30-Oct-12, 16:02
Anybody know of laws or rule regarding side roads and livestock.

If you hit a sheep is that the fault of the landowner for not having sufficient fencing? Or is it drivers fault?

theone
30-Oct-12, 16:27
Anybody know of laws or rule regarding side roads and livestock.

If you hit a sheep is that the fault of the landowner for not having sufficient fencing? Or is it drivers fault?

Drive up west and there's no fencing at all! If it were illegal not to have fences, I'm sure there would be some.

annemarie482
30-Oct-12, 16:28
Depends where you are, some areas are open grazing and its the drivers who have to proceed with caution.
I.e the road up to the duncasby stacks
Was there fences there? If not then its likely one of those places.
Also you have to be driving within the law, I.e if you were speeding then the landowner my get off with it as the driver wasn't driving with due care and attention.
Failing that, then yes a landowner could be responsible.
We lost spoiler to a runaway sheep who ran out a hedge on a single track road,but the farmer paid to replace it without involving the law :)

tonkatojo
30-Oct-12, 16:42
Was once told if there was 2 mile of continuous fence and live stock caused an accident the fault falls on the farmer/livestock owner, if no fence the driver is at fault. But no idea if that is true I never queried it.

pat
30-Oct-12, 16:43
If there are fences then it is up to the owner to ensure their fences are stock proof.

If no fences livestock have the right to roam - yes sleep right in the middle of the road where it is warm.

It is also up to the driver to ensure they are driving in a suitable and apt manner to avoid any animals - same as you take all care to avoid the two legged variety, all drivers to be aware and allow for everything on and around the road.

Invisible
30-Oct-12, 17:11
Depends where you are, some areas are open grazing and its the drivers who have to proceed with caution.
I.e the road up to the duncasby stacks
Was there fences there? If not then its likely one of those places.
Also you have to be driving within the law, I.e if you were speeding then the landowner my get off with it as the driver wasn't driving with due care and attention.
Failing that, then yes a landowner could be responsible.
We lost spoiler to a runaway sheep who ran out a hedge on a single track road,but the farmer paid to replace it without involving the law :)

This wasnt any place in particular its just something I have always wondered about. I don't speed at all on these roads due to the risk of collison with dottled sheep. Had to slam on brakes one day as sheep ran out from hedge and that was an eye opener.

If there are fences then it is up to the owner to ensure their fences are stock proof.

If no fences livestock have the right to roam - yes sleep right in the middle of the road where it is warm.

So would a couple of slabs, a gate and some rusted wire count as not having a fence?

billmoseley
30-Oct-12, 20:59
drive round these roads long enough you can almost read what live stock is gonna do.

starfish
30-Oct-12, 21:15
live in the countryside expect live stock on the road

linda.borgie
30-Oct-12, 23:49
Hear hear lol!!!!

Dadie
31-Oct-12, 00:35
Though on some sideroads expect more sheep than others...
There is a bit on a back road to castletown that always has sheep on the road!
Most are fine...just the odd one or two..or a lamb or so at that time of year....
The sheep up west seem to understand the rules of the road if you go slow...if you speed up they forget...
Just look out for the random cow anywhere!

Alrock
31-Oct-12, 00:41
Am I correct in thinking that if you create roadkill you can't pick it up, but, if you come across roadkill then you can?
If so... Does this also apply to sheep, cows, etc?

billmoseley
31-Oct-12, 20:11
i have herd the same thing alrock. but if you do hit a sheep i would flock off with if before the farmer tries to fleece you and if it's one of his cows Hide it then go hell for leather before he starts beefing about it. i won't be crackling any jokes about pigs