PDA

View Full Version : Good Broadband in Wick

almo
25-Oct-12, 13:19
Can anyone reccomend a good broadband ISP in Wick. Mine is so slow these days and the are dragging their heels so i'm thinking it's time to move on.
Yes i've done all the checks and it seems it's a known issue as they don't have enough bandwidth or whatever it's called at the Exchange.
I'm running about 0.5 to 0.7Meg in the Evening but if I go on at 4AM i can get 4.5 Meg :-)
cheers

gillsbay
25-Oct-12, 13:43
If the problem is with the exchange then changing ISP is going to make no difference, your connection will still be going through the same exchange after all

outsidethebox
25-Oct-12, 14:21
Sounds like the infamous "Hot VP" issue which does not exist at either Wick or Thurso, not if you believe anything that the liars at BT will tell you. BT Wholesale refuse to do anything, we just have to pay up and shut up.

I have 2 BT lines, each with Broadband, collectively I pay them over £60 a month for phone and broadband and yet as I type I am in the middle of a battle trying to get them to get one of my connections to connect and to stay connected at something better than a 0.1 Mb throughput, and on the other line resolve the performance drop from 6.7Mb during off peak times to 0.8Mb during the evening peak. So far I have had 2 openreach engineers out, but this is so clearly a BTW issue.

Should be able to get the high level complaints team involved by the end of the week and then we'll see some greater honesty in the resolution of this incident. But the problem will still exists.

And no matter which ISP you decide to move to you will still have the same issues as all ISP's here simply sell the same BTW service branded as their own.

secretsquirrel
25-Oct-12, 15:17
It appears that you are suffering from the same as everone else it is like what used to happen with mobile phones users there is only so much bandwith which is divided between users so when lots of users are on ie evening then slow but when most people in bed ie 2.00am fast speed. best bet is to look for a supplier which has a small amount of caithness users.

Dialyser
25-Oct-12, 16:47
From my own experience (in Wick) I was with TalkTalk and never saw faster than 2Mb. I could have lived with this but it often dropped off to around 0.1-0.5Mb at peak times, which despite numerous complaints they could never sort out.

I then moved to BT which was more expensive but gave me about 6Mb but more importantly it is a constant 6Mb regardless of time of day.

Shaggy
25-Oct-12, 18:42
I have the same problem with bandwidth. good (5-6mb) during the early hours up until around 7am, then it plummets to 0.8-1.0 if im lucky. Im with Plusnet and to give them their due, they have been good about trying to resolve this but i know its a BT issue as the equipment i have is fine. I suspect BT are throttling the bandwidth in order to gain more customers from their rivals.

ATHRoss
25-Oct-12, 21:27
And I thought it was just me!

I have been arguing this with BT since June, like yourselves, I get 5-6 MBps around 7am then it falls to ~ 0.1 - 0.2 from mid morning through to the end of the night.

Doubt this will ever be resolved tbh until another supplier enters the scene locally.

I am hoping for an engineers call on Monday night - will post any updates.

Need to keep pestering BT in the slight hope that they will listen...

RecQuery
26-Oct-12, 10:50
Sounds like the infamous "Hot VP" issue which does not exist at either Wick or Thurso, not if you believe anything that the liars at BT will tell you. BT Wholesale refuse to do anything, we just have to pay up and shut up.

I have 2 BT lines, each with Broadband, collectively I pay them over £60 a month for phone and broadband and yet as I type I am in the middle of a battle trying to get them to get one of my connections to connect and to stay connected at something better than a 0.1 Mb throughput, and on the other line resolve the performance drop from 6.7Mb during off peak times to 0.8Mb during the evening peak. So far I have had 2 openreach engineers out, but this is so clearly a BTW issue.

Should be able to get the high level complaints team involved by the end of the week and then we'll see some greater honesty in the resolution of this incident. But the problem will still exists.

And no matter which ISP you decide to move to you will still have the same issues as all ISP's here simply sell the same BTW service branded as their own.

Depending on your ISP you can get them to request a tied pair move which should make it better for a while, that is until BT chooses to over subscribe another VP.