PDA

View Full Version : Entering data into Excel

Rheghead
24-Oct-12, 16:37
I need to enter an enormous lot of lines of data into Excel so I can do some statistical analysis with it. Unfortunately, it has originally been typed onto a Word document and each line has bits of data has each have been seperated by a comma but I need to enter each into an individual cell into excel.

Is there a way to import the data and let excel automatically seperate each bit of data into individual cells and discard the commas?

Thanks in advance

jimbews
24-Oct-12, 16:56
I need to enter an enormous lot of lines of data into Excel so I can do some statistical analysis with it. Unfortunately, it has originally been typed onto a Word document and each line has bits of data has each have been seperated by a comma but I need to enter each into an individual cell into excel.

Is there a way to import the data and let excel automatically seperate each bit of data into individual cells and discard the commas?

In Word: Save as "Plain Text file"
Should be able to save as exceldata.txt ( or better still exceldata.csv)
In Excel
File Open
Pull down to "Text files (*.prn, *.txt, *.csv)
Find the file created above.
Should then lead through a series of screens to allow the data to be imported easily.

There may be some slight niggles, depending on the data contents, in which case it might be a bit more complicated.

Kevin Milkins
24-Oct-12, 17:07
Good question that I dont have the answer to, but need to do something similar. www.teach-ict.com (http://www.teach-ict.com) is a useful site for that sort of self help use.

Good luck with that Rheghead and let me know how you get on.

Rheghead
24-Oct-12, 17:27
Many thanks Jim, that worked a treat.

JamJam
17-Nov-12, 23:50
Just to add that, for non-standard delimiting characters, or for changing them/putting some in, Windows Notepad saved me many hours of work on a ~1 million element data set. Out of curiosity, what stats are you doing? Just descriptives? Otherwise/alternatively, I can recommend Origin, SPSS and Minitab.