PDA

View Full Version : Station House Wick Info

doorwoman
13-Dec-06, 13:15
Hi guy's.

I've recently unraveled my family tree & discovered my GG grandparents were living in Wick in the mid to late 1800's. The McGregors in my tree lived at station house, Wick, Murdock McGregor being the station master & the Murray's lived in/on Eastbanks.

I was wondering how life would have been for them at this time (1860-1900) & whether the places still stood today as i'm planning to visit next year.

Also my great grandfather William Campbell Murray was a cabinet maker in Wick in the 1891 census & by 1894 was living in Surrey working in the same trade. I was wondering why Surrey & was there a large scale recruitment drive for carpenters at the time?

Any help for a newbie would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance
Sarah

johno
15-Dec-06, 10:40
Hi guy's.

I've recently unraveled my family tree & discovered my GG grandparents were living in Wick in the mid to late 1800's. The McGregors in my tree lived at station house, Wick, Murdock McGregor being the station master & the Murray's lived in/on Eastbanks.

I was wondering how life would have been for them at this time (1860-1900) & whether the places still stood today as i'm planning to visit next year.

Also my great grandfather William Campbell Murray was a cabinet maker in Wick in the 1891 census & by 1894 was living in Surrey working in the same trade. I was wondering why Surrey & was there a large scale recruitment drive for carpenters at the time?

Any help for a newbie would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance
Sarah hi doorwoman, Station house is still there,the railway station is more or less the same as it would have been back in the late 1800/early 1900s. If you want some pics i,d be happy to take some & send to you.
If you pm me with your email address consider it as good as done.
have a nice day .:D

doorwoman
15-Dec-06, 17:38
Hi Johno.
Appreciate your reply & thank you for your kind offer! I've PM'd you with my addy.
Cheers!!

Betty
16-Dec-06, 23:36
Hi Doorwoman,
There are a couple of pictures of the Wick Railway Station house which have previously been posted on Caithness.org. They can be found at
http://www.caithness.org/atoz/railwaysincaithness/wickstation/formerstationhouse.jpg
http://www.caithness.org/atoz/wickstationroad/stationhouse/htm

Hope this helps.

doorwoman
18-Dec-06, 22:55
Thanks for the link's Betty!
They are great!
A big thanks to Kingetter, Johno & the guy's & gal's that PM'd me too.
You're a great bunch!

Thank you all again