PDA

View Full Version : In light of recent events...

Colin Manson
11-Dec-06, 03:52
Hi,

Firstly I'd like to apologise for the delay in posting this message, many things have conspired to keep me from posting a full explanation of the recent events. I was also wanted to wait for the post by DrSzin as I thought that his view of events might clear the air a little.

At this point it may be advisable to put the kettle on and make yourself a cuppa this could turn out to be a rather long post.

The History
I apologise to Phoenix and Kingetter but I feel that this must be covered - sorry.

kingetter was mentioned on the moderator forums via complaints about the volume & style of some of his posts. Some of his material was great, interesting and thought provoking, however a large majority were one liners, conversational style posts. There wasn't a rule in place to cover this so we didn't take any action.

I think he managed to make 120 posts in 1 day, both Bill and Niall tried to have a word with him but he didn't feel that there was a problem with his posting.

A few weeks ago we had a spate of attacks from a person signing up with multiple accounts and switching to a new account each time that the old one was banned. In the past we've also had characters like micky monk that did the same sort of thing. It's frustrating trying to protect the forum from this kind of abuse, as you can imagine.

Now this is the Important part that wasn't included in the email, the initial post where the Miserable User plug in was discussed was in reference to these types of attacks, I was asking for suggestions on how to deal with this kind of abuse and the MU plug in was suggested.

I created a new topic to discuss the plug in and yes moderators were laughing and enjoying the idea that someone that had caused so much trouble would be 'sorted out' via this new system. We hoped that they would assume that the forum was slow and not bother creating more accounts in order to abuse the forum.

So I hope that clears up the idea that it was the general membership that were being made fun of, it wasn't and never would have been applied to any of those users. In the email and on the post I did state

I don't see that many people being added really, obvious troublemakers/spammers could be added immediately pending the outcome of the poll.

There were concerns from the moderators about how the system would be used to make sure that it was used in a fair manner and only against those that really were out to spoil the forum for everyone else.

Around the time that we were being attacked Phoenix sent me a PM asking for her account to be removed, I PM'd back asking why but she said that this time she'd made up her mind and wanted to be removed. I changed her account by moving her to the Ex-Orger group. (more about that shortly)

I asked everyone (the mods) to see if they could speak to her and find out what happened, I'm always concerned when someone wants to leave and I like to know why, in this case after her previous problem I was doubly concerned. I wasn't told that whole story and I still don't know exactly what caused her to leave but I did get the hint that kingetter was involved again.

The Ex-Orger group was setup so that they can view the forum but not post any messages, during the setup of this group I made a fairly big mistake, they couldn't post but they could read, that was what I wanted, however they could also read the moderators section. That explains why Phoenix saw the posts that she did.

Testing the MU plug in, in order to understand how any thing of this type works it is neccessary to test it, in order to do that I used my old test account named Beatme (named so because he was the test account for the infraction system) I found that the default initial settings were a nightmare, great for using to save the day against a person determined to abuse the forum. I realised that the settings could be toned down to slow down the page refresh and therefore slow down an individuals posting rate. There is already a 2 minute flood timer between posts (that is standard forum system, not a plug in) I didn't want to increase that because it would affect everyone but with the MU plug in I could effectively delay a single person.

Now this wasn't fair, it wasn't right nor can it be justified, I installed the plug in, I refined the settings for this new purpose and I applied it to kingetters account, as DrSzin mentioned, it lasted for about 4 hours and in that time kingetter was still posting and moving around the forum without major problems, just with a slight delay, equivalent to the difference noticed between dialup and broadband for surfing the forum, not a great deal really.

Now I will apologise to Kingetter personally outside of this post, I took this action for a couple of reasons, firstly attempts had already been made to try and resolve his posting and secondly I felt justified after what had happened to Phoenix (please note none of this was ever proven and for that reason alone no ban was issued) So as far as I know kingetter has done no wrong and it was clearly wrong for me to punish him by using this system, even if I was just trying to change his posting style.

My decision clearly affected by rumour and I acted badly, as a result the forum is in turmoil and moderators are being persecuted for something which they had no control over. I accept that some of them might have reacted badly when replying to the posts in the last couple of days but I ask you to bear in mind that they weren't responsible and they have been dragged over the coals for no reason whatsoever.

Now several members have been calling for resignations, directing the calls at the mods, since it wasn't really their fault I guess that calls should have been directed at me, the website link to the copy of the email certainly has my pic at the top so I guess someone knows who is to blame. I've already considered it and I spoke to Niall about it today, I would leave if I though that some good would come from it but unfortunately Niall can't run everything himself and he said that if I leave then the forum would probably be closed.

That being said I'm up for some change and I'd like to give up the mod side and just do the Admin tasks, I'd be available for advice but it would suit me to take a back seat and let the thing be run by the moderators(this would include the new mods as suggested by the .Orger usergroup)

A change is needed, I think that was clear from the chat room meeting that was held on Friday, I'll make a separate post to cover that.

I will leave this post open for comments but I do ask that replies are measured and that you consider what I have said. I will make an effort to answer any genuine questions about what happened but I refuse to let this thread turn into a coup d’état.

The system/rules/forum are open for change but it will have to come through a structured group and not by demands from individuals.

changilass
11-Dec-06, 04:14
Thanks for that Colin, lets hope we can all now go forward and try to make things better. I am sorry things came to this, I love the org and would not like to see the forums shut down.

hell raizer
11-Dec-06, 04:39
what about unicorn then dus she get a apoligy

Colin Manson
11-Dec-06, 04:50
I think that was already covered by Bill in this (http://forum.caithness.org/showpost.php?p=170760&postcount=646) post.

He merged the threads that caused the confusion it was a genuine mistake for which he apologised.

Emms
11-Dec-06, 04:52
This post enables us all to have a more balanced view of the situation and is undoubtedly the first step in reaching resolution and putting the matter to rest.
I think Colin has put a great deal of thought into the post and he has answered many questions in a structured way, and also offered an apology. He has acknowledged that perhaps the situation could have been handled differently and has not, in any way, tried to pass the buck.

htwood
11-Dec-06, 05:16
A well thought out post, Colin. Thanks for all the information, most of which was news to me.
This is a wonderful website, and it would not be the same without the forum and the chatroom.
I'm here to support whatever decisions are made regarding additional mods and any other potential changes (except you leaving).
Caithness.org rules.

Ricco
11-Dec-06, 08:44
An excellent post (and much to what I thought might have been behind matters) and bravely done. As I have said in other posts there was bound to be an underlying reason and that investigation would bring this to the fore. It is just such a shame that some of the actions had become 'sullied' by a few unwise words.

Colin and Niall run a very difficult ship upon which we are all passengers and I hope that those who pounced upon conspiracy theories and willynilly threw accusations at those in charge are now thoroughly ashamed of themselves. I think that there are a few reverse apologies to admin and moderators forthcoming soon.

KCI
11-Dec-06, 09:17
I'm still disappointed in some people and their actions, but this post is a step in the right direction.

Making an apology is always a good start, but this does show that something needs to be changed.

I think we all appreciate that running this forum is difficult, and we certainly don't want the forum to close.

Praetorian
11-Dec-06, 09:44
These Vbulletin plug-ins are not new and are readily available indeed there are some worse plug-ins to buy off the shelf - I do however, think that as seen on some forums that the problems should have been aired and been open for suggestions, a poll perhaps, a point system?. Its a hard job to keep everyone happy but it's worse to keep people in the dark. Some forums actually have a banned list and quote why they were banned.

A_Usher
11-Dec-06, 10:38
These Vbulletin plug-ins are not new and are readily available indeed there are some worse plug-ins to buy off the shelf - I do however, think that as seen on some forums that the problems should have been aired and been open for suggestions, a poll perhaps, a point system?. Its a hard job to keep everyone happy but it's worse to keep people in the dark. Some forums actually have a banned list and quote why they were banned.

I use some plug ins on my vbb forum boards, but not the miserable user one. I have several active forums and find IP banning, and logging banned users, explaining to them why they are banned etc all necessary, especially in light of the Data Protection Act of 1988 which gives users the right to request to see information which mentions or implicates then in any way shape or form. Just because you have a forum doesnt mean you are outside of DPA issues, which means everything needs to be logged and archived if you retain data about individuals.

Its sad to say but some users do register just to cause problems, but everyone deserves an explanation as to why, and i tend to run a process similar to that of employment, using direct communication via email explaining the complaint, written warning and reissue of Terms and Conditions, and then banning.

I dont envy the running of this forum board, and think on the whole it does a very good job, given the vast diversity of individuals on the forum.

Gogglebox
11-Dec-06, 11:16
Good fair post that explains all and the actions taken.

Whether people agree with the actions taken or not they were taken with a purpose in mind to serve the community of the board and negate some of the more disruptive posters

Hopefully now people will take the time to read it properly and be a bit more measured in what they are writing, some of the abuse and personal remarks in the thread on the matter these last few days have been ridiculous and would in normal times have been punished. That cannot be allowed to continue, it reflects bad on us all.

Remember these boards are run by good intentioned volunteers, mistakes can and will always happen, if we want the org to continue we have to understand that and forgive and forget. Harbouring resentment of the last few days will be the downfall of the thing if it is maintained

Its time to move on and start rebuiling the trust, rapport and friendships that have been the mainstay of these boards and stimulate debate into improving things not dragging up the recent events as a stick to beat everyone with at every opportunity.

So lets all look forward and endorse our confidence in the guys running the boards, Colin, Niall, Bill and take this opportunity to help create the boards and the set up we want to particpate in.

I would also encourage some who have resigned these last few day to consider coming back. Its been acknowledged that changes are need, come back in from the cold and help shape the thing in the way you feel would be appropriate. Nothing is ever achieved by just quitting, you have to work at solutions.

Through
11-Dec-06, 13:22
That is a fair explanation.

Given the background and the apology, I would say that Colin should remain exactly where he is.

There were a couple of other issues raised about other moderators in all of this mess. Is this going to be sorted out? My main concern is the personal attack type posting by moderators.

cuddlepop
11-Dec-06, 14:51
Thanks for that explanation Colin.
Hopefully things will be on the up now:D .

Dreadnought
11-Dec-06, 14:56
There were a couple of other issues raised about other moderators in all of this mess. Is this going to be sorted out? My main concern is the personal attack type posting by moderators.

Ditto. One of those people is still a moderator. [disgust]

Colin Manson
11-Dec-06, 15:53

I never intended that the moderators become saints without opinions, my view was that they were feel to act exactly the same as a normal poster. With that in mind I could issue some warnings and infractions but it wouldn't change much and if I treated everyone equally then there would be loads of yellow and red cards being dished out.

I think that any issues like this should be carried forward into the Usergroup, once we figure out how everyone wants the moderators to behave then we can address any personal issues that any users/moderators might feel.

Dreadnought
11-Dec-06, 16:36
So the users Group is all just a bi tof hot air? No Mods are are going to lose their positions after their appalling behaviour both in the mods forum and afterward here on the main forums? If that is the case why bother with a Users Group at all?

angela5
11-Dec-06, 16:54
So the users Group is all just a bi tof hot air? No Mods are are going to lose their positions after their appalling behaviour both in the mods forum and afterward here on the main forums? If that is the case why bother with a Users Group at all?

I don't see the point in this users group if any mod's who are currently still holding onto their name badge are going to remain "A Mod". After their disgusting behaviour.:roll:

squidge
11-Dec-06, 16:59
Isnt it up to the group to decide its remit with the admin? Seems like you two want decisions before the groups even formed. That cant be done. Once the group gets togetherr they will decide what action is to be suggested and whether its appropriate to demand the resignation of the moderators. UNtil then you would be wise to wait and see or nominate yourselves for the group

SeaviewFlowers
11-Dec-06, 17:21
great reply colin... a well thought out post..!

I think its good that the truth and apologies have come out. Everyone was getting frustrated with it all, at least now everyone will be clearer on what has happened over the last few days.

Have all banned orgers been put back active..?

I hope everything goes smooth from now on and Caithness.org goes back to being a great website and forum..!!

Gogglebox
11-Dec-06, 18:43

Considering one hasnt been formed yet isnt that a bit of a ridiculous comment
They have only started canvassing to get people to form such a group its remit is to identify a way forward that is workable and suits the administartion of the site and the users.

Surely they should atleast get the chance to form a group and come up with proposals.

You seem to want an outcome before they have started - -thats how poor decisions and mistakes are made

In the interim the site still has to run and be run properly.
If everybody stood down there would be no forums

Its comments like this that will make it difficult to move on from here and the boards will become unworkable and be closed.

People need to think about the logic of some of the things they are saying before posting them

From what Niall said in another post the jaicket is on a shooglie nail for this forum!!
Unless of course some peoples objective is to get it closed, bit of a shame on the rest of us who want it back and firing on all cylinders

Colin Manson
11-Dec-06, 18:45
Have all banned orgers been put back active..?

I think 2 users were banned (Carlo Gambino and saxovtr) for basically being abusive when this situation came to light, I'm willing to forgive and forget even if some of the users aren't willing to do that.

I think one of the actions on our part would be an amnesty for all Infractions (I'll delete all the Infractions and warnings that have ever been issued) and I'd hope that those who left recently would consider coming back, they are more than welcome.

Bobbyian
11-Dec-06, 19:09
Well said Colin and Niall I thought there could be a reason. we live in a real world and mishaps do happen and we as users must be able to resolve problems and move on. Its such a good site. and I think some apreciation must be given for your investment of time and other things..

Gogglebox
11-Dec-06, 19:17
I think 2 users were banned (Carlo Gambino and saxovtr) for basically being abusive when this situation came to light, I'm willing to forgive and forget even if some of the users aren't willing to do that.

I think one of the actions on our part would be an amnesty for all Infractions (I'll delete all the Infractions and warnings that have ever been issued) and I'd hope that those who left recently would consider coming back, they are more than welcome.

Good gesture and very concilliatory, hope others start being likewise

fred
11-Dec-06, 19:27
kingetter was mentioned on the moderator forums via complaints about the volume & style of some of his posts. Some of his material was great, interesting and thought provoking, however a large majority were one liners, conversational style posts. There wasn't a rule in place to cover this so we didn't take any action.

Since when did you need to break a rule to get banned?

I thought just being opposed to racist organisations and speaking out against the murder of innocent women and children was enough.

weeboyagee
11-Dec-06, 22:03
Goodness fred - where ya been? Hardly ever see you post these days - even though I hardly ever agree with you but miss the challenging discussions!

Yip - bring them back - we've all been watching saxovtr growing with the forum - to the point that he is good craic, entertaining and look at the avatars he was doing for folks - he deserves to be back on here - he made a lot of contribution.

WBG :cool:

JAWS
11-Dec-06, 22:21
Welcome back Fred, like WBG I might have, how can I put it, slight variances of opinion from time to time but you don't half make my brain work hard and I know I daren't leave an opening or I'll suffer for it.
You certainly make life interesting.

WBG, I think, without checking, that Saxovtr got in trouble for "swearing" so I've no doubt he will be back in due course unless there was something more serious than that.

fred
11-Dec-06, 23:26
Goodness fred - where ya been? Hardly ever see you post these days - even though I hardly ever agree with you but miss the challenging discussions!

I didn't agree with a lot of things a lot of people said but I never once disagreed with their right to say it, never once went whinging to the moderators about anyone, never once even bad repped anyone.

Looks like you've got yourselves into a bit of a pickle here.

watman
11-Dec-06, 23:29
Yeah bring back saxovtr. He was brilliant crack and submitted some very amusing posts

weeboyagee
11-Dec-06, 23:30
Aye, aye fred,......

......never once went whinging to the mods myself - I get up in the morning, polish the brass neck and take it from there! :D Always agree with someone's right to say even though I may NOT agree with what they are saying or how they say it.

Pickle? What pickle? I haven't a C - L - U - E what you're on about ;)

Saveman
12-Dec-06, 11:47
I go away for a couple of months and the place falls to bits...... ;) :lol:

weeboyagee
12-Dec-06, 12:05
I go away for a couple of months and the place falls to bits......
You back as well???? Good grief there's as many turning up again as are leaving! Nice to hear from you again! Normally it's me that's the one that's going away for months and having to play catch up - know the feeling ;)

WBG :cool:

squidge
12-Dec-06, 13:36
Looks like you've got yourselves into a bit of a pickle here.

thats what happens when an adversary leaves and there there is no one to stretch the brain power. I dont often agree with you Fred but its good to see you back

JAWS
12-Dec-06, 14:19
I didn't agree with a lot of things a lot of people said but I never once disagreed with their right to say it, never once went whinging to the moderators about anyone, never once even bad repped anyone.Fred, I can well support that.
We have disputed many points at some length (What do you mean "we go on forever"? Shut up you rabble out there, how dare you! [lol] ) when we have been about as far apart in our viewpoints as it's possible to get but I have never, ever, felt that I was under any form of personal attack or abuse.
You have challenged my ideas and viewpoint and I yours, but that is what debate is about.

You have given me quite a few headaches about how to deal with some of points you make but never once have I considered that I have had the slightest cause for any form of complaint.

highlander
12-Dec-06, 15:11
welcome back fred and saveman, nice to see regular orgers come back

JAWS
12-Dec-06, 15:24
I go away for a couple of months and the place falls to bits.....
Careful, Saveman or you'll be getting blamed next! [lol]

fred
12-Dec-06, 16:14
thats what happens when an adversary leaves and there there is no one to stretch the brain power. I dont often agree with you Fred but its good to see you back

I don't know that I'll have a lot of time for for chatting for a while, I've been working on one book http://www.graven-images.org.uk/temp/mam.htm
and I'm part way through another.

I'll look in from time to time and see what's happening.

Whitewater
12-Dec-06, 17:02
I have had a read through this thread. Thanks Colin for the explanation, I have always been aware of the pressure Niall and you were under, but I must admit I sometimes did not appreciate it.

It is good to see some "weel kent faces" reappearing, you have been missed.

Good luck with the books Fred, having glanced at "Ministers and Men" they are heavy going but very interesting.

Orger
12-Dec-06, 18:19
Good thought out reply Colin, least its out now.... I hope org gets back to being a good place...

All the best...!

Ricco
12-Dec-06, 21:08
Hooray, Saveman and Fred are back. Nice to see you again.

JimH
13-Dec-06, 14:42
Well now we who had no idea what was going on - now know.
I do not post a lot but I do keep up to date, and I believe that this post and the amnesty is the answer to the problem.
Well done folks - and thankyou.

AS to the ship, I am very happy to be onboard, and have no objection to being asked to swab the decks now and again.

I think Caithness.org is great - and I live here. Thanks

rich
13-Dec-06, 18:12
Is it not time to commemorate this unpredented exercise in virtual democracy with an issue of CAITHNESS ORG ball caps.
I'd be happy to pay a few bucks for cap plus cost of postage!

rich
13-Dec-06, 19:07
Another plus to the idea would be that Orgers could spot each other even when resident in such far flung places as Timbuctu or Watten.
Or hastily stuff the cap in your pocket if you do not wish to be identified...
Good heavens we could even have a feature on our far flung members with photographs of Orgers doing unlikely things such as Rich walking PAST a pub at the corner of St Clair and Yonge in Toronto or being flung out of the Arts and Letters Club on Elm Street.
Just an idea, folks.