PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy

porshiepoo
30-Sep-12, 22:16
Now the winter months are drawing back in on us i really want to get back into knitting. I used to knit alot and while I used to knit quite complicated patterns I never really got round to understanding all the different types of wool - i just bought whatever the pattern said to buy.
I want to knit an afghan or a bedspread though and after looking at the amount of balls of wool required and then the cost of the balls of wool I'm kinda gobsmacked :eek:
I really wanted to use Aran wool but I was wondering whether there's a cheaper alternative to it? Also where is the best place to buy wool in Wick or Thurso at a decent price?

rooby
01-Oct-12, 14:34
In The Reel Thing in Wick, there are economy balls of aran yarn, I think about 500gram balls for ??£4 -7. Elizabeth's in Thurso also have yarn. I also go down to Brora to the wool shop there, Kings[something] next to the Sutherland Arms. They have really good value yarn in there.

AnneCollier57
01-Nov-12, 17:13
Hi Anne here from Tickettyboo in John O Groats, I sell wool at quite a reasonable price, I have double knitting in stock that is a generous double knitting, it a wide variety of colours. I have used it for aran wool patterns, I wonder what size needles the pattern you have says to use, perhaps you can call me on 01955 611240 and I can help. By the way, the price for my acrylic double knitting is £2.50 for 100grams. If you are buying in bulk, you will not have to take it all at once, I can give you a discount.
Anne Tickettyboo John O Groats

Birdie Wife
04-Nov-12, 16:30
In The Reel Thing in Wick, there are economy balls of aran yarn, I think about 500gram balls for ??£4 -7. Elizabeth's in Thurso also have yarn. I also go down to Brora to the wool shop there, Kings[something] next to the Sutherland Arms. They have really good value yarn in there.

Kincraig fabrics - they are really good, and also sell on ebay so you can have a look at what they have in stock. I buy a lot of wool on ebay - you can get job lots of yarn there ceap as chips :)