PDA

View Full Version : James Smith 1895 - 1916

trinkie
28-Sep-12, 09:25
Is anyone doing this Family Tree ? His parents were John and Dina of 19 Port Dunbar, Wick. James was lost at sea in 1916 on SS Tynemouth. Please get in touch, Trinkie

trinkie
25-Oct-12, 17:02
I'm still trying to find someone who knows of this family.

There was a daughter Jessie Smith who married Grant Robertson Miller in 1920
"" " Barbara Smith who married William J Bruce in 1923 (she was known as Barrie )

There were sons John, William and Alex

If you have any ideas please send get in touch with me PM.
Many thanks
Trinkie

Ange
18-Nov-12, 06:34
Hello
I am connected to this family on the Miller side - the common ancestors being George Miller and Ann McDonald, Grant R Miller's grandparents and my 2nd great grandparents.
I have strong connections to Findochty but have not gone back any further than Jessie's parents so I cannot confirm anything on that side.
Ange

trinkie
18-Nov-12, 13:47
Thank you Ange, Nice to hear from you.
I've sent a Private Message.

Regards
Trinkie

Scott0713
10-Dec-12, 12:10
Hi,

I am currently researching my family tree and a John Smith from Wick was my great grandfather, I have very little information to go on. I know that John's wife died young in Wick from a fire incident but I am still trying to find her full name. John Smiths had 5 or 6 children I believe.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

trinkie
10-Dec-12, 17:53
Hi Scott,
The father of James Smith I am interested in is John Smith born in Banff c, 1862, Is this who you are researching ?
I began this thread as I had come across the grave of James Smith in the south of Wales . He served in the 1st WW and his ship
was ' lost' at sea. The body of James was washed ashore on the Welsh coast. I think his grave is a private / family stone not a War Grave stone.
I was hoping to find family members still around in Wick, but have had no luck. I had sent two letters to the Groat around the 11th of November, but neither were published. I also wrote to Bill here on the Org at that time, but that letter was not used either. I had hoped that the date would
inspire family to get in touch as I now have a lovely photo of the grave stone whch I had revisited in order to leave a Poppy.

In ' Voices in the Wind' by Ally Budge it says James was 'drowned at sea' see page 232. That was likely what Ally Budge had been told at the time,
but James Smith was buried in Pembrey churchyard and a most beautiful stone erected.

Best wishes
Trinkie.

Scott0713
10-Dec-12, 18:31
I believe if they are related then my john smith would more likely have been James' brother. Ill need to search through some family records to get exact dates to confirm. The name smith isn't the easiest to search for haha.Will let you know if I find more details.Thanks though

Scott0713
13-Dec-12, 19:54
Hi Trinkie,I am struggling to get any information on john w smith, I know he died 24th September 1966. Husband of Caroline Nicolson. I think this ties in with your case but can't find any further information. I know he was president of the I.L.P and believe he was grand master of the Freemasons lodge in Wick, as found old photos to support this.

beelag2000
19-Dec-12, 21:10
Hi Scott
Sent you a pm, don't want to hijack Trinkies original request with a side issue on John Smith