PDA

View Full Version : thurso gala night

murphy
08-Aug-12, 10:46
good week ahead but i thot it was a same on the night of the kids fancy dress night because some people put lots of time in to making costumes and trying there best . this is all fun and i total agree but i think its a shame when there was a little girl at the gala who put a lot of time in to making outfit and looked lovely and did not get a prize i also heard another member of the public complaining about why this little girl did not get anything and they were told because she was 2 mins late which i think is a shame because she arrived the same time as somr other kids that won a prizes and when all the kids had to start walking around in there age groups she was walking with them . also a diffrent member of the public was asking the judge why they stopped in the middle of a line taking the kids names and they were told thats what they do .i think its a shame if that is the case because it looks like kids were not includded in this fancy dress even thou it is all fun .

Thurso Town Improvements
08-Aug-12, 16:59
To answer the queries we were asked by the parents not to take down every child's name as it took too long. The little girl was more than two minutes late as we kept the judging back as late as possible to allow for a few stragglers but we have a tight schedule to keep to and needed to start. By the time the kids do their lap of glory the winners have been picked. I can assure you every child was looked at.

I have asked the parents in the past would they like the Children's Fancy dress earlier or on another night and the majority wanted it left where it was.

We only take the names of the winners and announce them straight away as the parents complained other years for keeping them all waiting too long and didn't want to wait to the end to announce all the winners together. We move it around and take all suggestions on board to please everyone.

If you want the format, date, place,time changed you only have to ask, we are happy to sit and note every child's name if that is what the majority of the public want.

We are aiming for a big public meeting in September and there is a save the Gala campaign fb page where you can put you ideas, suggestions on.

Doreen

Moira
08-Aug-12, 20:49
To answer the queries we were asked by the parents not to take down every child's name as it took too long. The little girl was more than two minutes late as we kept the judging back as late as possible to allow for a few stragglers but we have a tight schedule to keep to and needed to start.......

<snip>

We are aiming for a big public meeting in September and there is a save the Gala campaign fb page where you can put you ideas, suggestions on.

Doreen

Good luck with that Doreen and I sincerely hope you get all the volunteers required to ensure next year's Thurso Gala Week goes ahead.

Sometimes it's a thankless task devoting your time and energy to local Committees & Charity Fund-raising events. It's especially disappointing when some folk snipe from the sidelines not realising the hard work going on behind the scenes to make it all possible.

I've never been directly involved with the Wick Gala but have always appreciated the great effort which goes into putting the Programme together and then actually making it happen.

I posted a "Thank You" message on these forums to Wick Gala Committee at the end of our Gala Week. The thread only received 2 replies, thanks Alice & Kevin. Sign of the times I guess....... :(

I would reckon that the Wick & Thurso Gala weeks gave/will give a lot of pleasure to many people. You just won't read about the positives here.

All best. :)

unicorn
08-Aug-12, 21:18
And those who do the most griping are normally those who arrive last and leave first and never offer a helping hand.

Thurso Town Improvements
10-Aug-12, 12:47
Thank you so much Moira I am afraid it is a sign of the times and part of the job. We posted a well done on Wick Gala facebook to as we know what hard work goes into a Gala. There are good people out there that do appreciate us like yourself, if we were doing it for the glory we would have given up long ago. I personally would have given up in 1999. We are human, we are a tiny group and we will have hiccups.

Moira
10-Aug-12, 21:07
Have a great finale weekend!

Don't let the occasional complainers get you down. :)