PDA

View Full Version : Caithness Memories

Munro
30-Nov-06, 21:36
My wife was given a book about 25 years ago titled A Chapbook of Wick, Caithness by Alexandrina Macgregor this delightful lady lives in our street in
a West Sussex coastal village, she was born in Wick and left Caithness when she was eighteen in 1946.
She was Personnel Officer in Marks and Spencers in Chichester for many years
I was wondering how well known her book is in Caithness, her descriptions of life and the people are wonderful.

trinkie
01-Dec-06, 21:14
That book is new to me. I have not heard of it or the author, before, but mean to ask some folk at the weekend.

Do give our old Wick friend our very good wishes and thank her for writing the book.
Perhaps one day it will be re-issued. Is it written in our dialect?
It sounds very interesting.

Regards
Trinkie

willowbankbear
01-Dec-06, 21:44
Never heard of it, the first one I remember of Caithness was about 25 years ago with lots of pics about the way of life in Caithness in B/W.
One of my best pals(who sadly is no longer with us)is in it shaking herring out of a net on the North River Pier but Im not sure what the book is called.
It would be good to read her book though

brokencross
02-Dec-06, 12:48
I have cut and paste a section from the British Library website about another "chapbook" the lady wrote, but know nothing of the Wick book.

[Marks and Spencer] A Chapbook of memories of Marks and Spencer: from 1946 to 1980, by Alexandrina MacGregor. A. MacGregor, [1994?]. Shelfmark: YK.1995.b.14283

I have also just re-read the initial post and am thinking the book was only given by the lady and not written by her and is in fact the book that willowbankbear refers to!

Murchiemannie
02-Dec-06, 23:19
My wife was given a book about 25 years ago titled A Chapbook of Wick, Caithness by Alexandrina Macgregor this delightful lady lives in our street in
a West Sussex coastal village, she was born in Wick and left Caithness when she was eighteen in 1946.
She was Personnel Officer in Marks and Spencers in Chichester for many years
I was wondering how well known her book is in Caithness, her descriptions of life and the people are wonderful.

Being an ex-member of Markies( 17yrs) we the staff were given the opportunity to purchase Alexandrina's book in 1982 and being a Weeker I jumped at the chance . She kindly signed it for me and I must say her stories are good as they bring back lots of childhood memories for me , especially Charlie Hercher and his "side shows".
Glad to hear she is still enjoying life.
Another one of M&S Management in the Aberdeen store was Evelyn Bain. She was Staff Manager and a very good and fair one she was.
Sad to hear she is no longer with us.
You just can't keep the Weekers down. They pop up all over the place.

trinkie
05-Dec-06, 12:45
Christmas comes early, as no sooner had I asked around, than PLOP on my doormat this morning a copy of A Chapbook of Wick by Alexandrina MacGregor.

At the first brief glance I know I'm going to enjoy this little book. It has many of our old words which I always enjoy.

If I may I'll put a couple of poems on Caithness.org

Perhaps you will PM regarding that, as I know Bill Fernie would like to have permission.

Kind regards to all,
Trinkie

Murchiemannie
05-Dec-06, 18:30
Glad you managed to get a copy Trinkie as I was going to suggest photo copying it if any of the orgers wanted a read.
I notice it was printed by Caithness Books, Thurso, but maybe they are no longer in business.
Enjoy.