PDA

View Full Version : Also need some advise

Anne_Mas
23-Jan-05, 13:35
Hello! I'm from Holland and movin to Thurso in about 5 months. Looking for people who want to rent me a room, till i found work and a place for my own. Been searching the web for advertisements, but the only thing i found was the section Property For Rent on this site.... and there's not much in it :~( .
Does anyone have good tips?

Thnx. Anne

EDDIE
23-Jan-05, 14:15
Hi your best bet would be to look in there local papers for room to lets or advertise in there paper nearer the time your going to moving everyone buys the local paper.
There local papers is
CAITHNES COURIER
JOHN O GROAT JOURNAL

They have a website with some property to let on it and you could probably email them of your situation.

www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk

Fifi
23-Jan-05, 14:32
I was going to suggest the John O'Groat Journal website as well but just had a look at it and it was useless!! At the moment it does not contain anything for Caithness and you can't search for it either. The paper itself usually does have something on offer.

You could try contacting solicitors/estate agents in Wick and Thurso as they sometimes deal with rental properties as well. I think Pollards have a good listing. You will find them all on this site under Business/Business index & news/professional/solicitors & estate agents.

As for jobs, I guess the only place with a lot of vacancies at the moment is Manpower (customer service call centre) or you could try a job agency like Morson. There is usually some kind of bar/cafe work on offer locally, especially towards summer. It depends what you're after - are you planning a temporary move here or something more permanent?

EDDIE
23-Jan-05, 14:49
Well to turn around and say the john o groat journal website is useless is a very negative way of thinking.The website is handy if your not in a position to get a local paper and you can always email them to advertise in there paper and its not expensive and thurso being a small community were everyone buys the local papers its an option worth considering.
As for jobs there is a website called jobcentre plus which covers all the jobs in the uk all you do is pick the type of job you want and the location and you can phone up the local jobcentre with the job reference number to get further details on how to apply.
But the only thing is if your a uk resident you have to give them your national insurance number before they will help you i dont know how it would work for registering with them if you stay in another country you would have to contact them and find out there website is below (jobcentreplus is government operated)

www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk

Anne_Mas
23-Jan-05, 15:03
Thank u! :D

Checked the newspapers but there's not much in it indeed, wil keep checking them.

I'm planning a permanent move after i checked out if i can adjust. Booked a oneway ticket, try to find a temporary place to stay, try to find a job, meet nice people and if that all works out alright find a permanent place........ and else go back here. It's a challange.
Have diploma from a 4-year technical school (don't know how u would name such a school). Am a turner/miller at the moment, would be nice to find a job like what i do now. But will take about anything that i can do.

Just saw Eddie replied again, ur all faster then me :o)

Sorry for any spelling errors.

Anne

captain chaos
23-Jan-05, 15:31
These are the main engineering firms with fitter turners or miller oprators and depending on what contracts they have at present are usually looking for workers. You could allways email and ask to be kept on file if anything comes up. D Gow and sons had an advert in just before Xmas looking for workers.

http://www.calderengineering.co.uk/
http://www.scrabster.co.uk/eandm/
http://www.dgowandson.co.uk/
http://www.jgc.co.uk/

Anne_Mas
26-Jan-05, 18:25
Thank u!!! :D

Anne_Mas
30-Jan-05, 12:07
Hello!!
Heard someone tried to contact me by yahoo for a room. He/she has been accidently clicked away by a roommate :( . Would u try and contact me again? (yahoo ID: annemasselink)

Anne