PDA

View Full Version : Ball Point Pen Thief!

Angel
11-Jul-12, 22:43
I have concluded that I must be the worlds biggest ball point pen thief after emptying the drawer in my office!
Where do they come from, I may have picked a couple up from exhibitions and the like, possibly even got some as gifts (well the posh ones at least) but 54 pens in the desk draw is definatly out of order...

I shall be leaving said collection a bit at a time at random venues until I have what I perceive to be a 'normal amout' which is 5!

How many do you have and where did they come from?

Angel...

Alrock
11-Jul-12, 23:07
Hmmmm... Reminds me of this passage from The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy...

On the surface of Magrathea Arthur wandered about moodily.
Ford had thoughtfully left him his copy of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the
Galaxy to while away the time with. He pushed a few buttons at random.
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a very unevenly edited book and
contains many passages that simply seemed to its editors like a good idea at the time.
One of these (the one Arthur now came across) supposedly relates the
experiences of one Veet Voojagig, a quiet young student at the University
of Maximegalon, who pursued a brilliant academic career studying ancient philology, transformational ethics and the wave harmonic theory of
historical perception, and then, after a night of drinking Pan Galactic
Gargle Blasters with Zaphod Beeblebrox, became increasingly obsessed
with the problem of what had happened to all the biros he'd bought over
the past few years.
There followed a long period of painstaking research during which he
visited all the major centres of biro loss throughout the galaxy and
eventually came up with a quaint little theory which quite caught the
public imagination at the time. Somewhere in the cosmos, he said, along
with all the planets inhabited by humanoids, reptiloids, fishoids, walking
treeoids and superintelligent shades of the colour blue, there was also a
planet entirely given over to biro life forms. And it was to this planet that
unattended biros would make their way, slipping away quietly through
wormholes in space to a world where they knew they could enjoy a
uniquely biroid lifestyle, responding to highly biro-oriented stimuli, and
generally leading the biro equivalent of the good life.
And as theories go this was all very fine and pleasant until Veet Voojagig suddenly claimed to have found this planet, and to have worked there for a while driving a limousine for a family of cheap green retractables,
whereupon he was taken away, locked up, wrote a book, and was finally sent into tax exile, which is the usual fate reserved for those who are
determined to make a fool of themselves in public.
When one day an expedition was sent to the spatial coordinates that
Voojagig had claimed for this planet they discovered only a small asteroid
inhabited by a solitary old man who claimed repeatedly that nothing was true, though he was later discovered to be lying.
There did, however, remain the question of both the mysterious 60,000
Altairan dollars paid yearly into his Brantisvogan bank account, and of
course Zaphod Beeblebrox's highly profitable second-hand biro business.

pat
12-Jul-12, 07:48
Know the feeling Angel - I collect them from everywhere and anywhere, my collection is huge but I can tell you where everyone of them was given, being issued free or where bought.
Every so often I have a clear out, I think when I leave them in a drawer they secretly multiply and bring back their old pals to completely fill the drawers and containers so next time you look drawer and containers are overflowing again!

Scunner
12-Jul-12, 09:23
On a holiday abroad, I found 14 pens in the bottom of my handbag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RecQuery
12-Jul-12, 09:56
Myself and a few friends used to play a game at careers fairs and try to get as many pens as we could.

That's how we roll, bet you all wish you were as hardcore as us.

Kodiak
12-Jul-12, 10:59
I Love all types of pens and when I am in Tesco I can not resist buying a packet or two. I have pens all over the house but I can honestly say I have bought most of them.

Mrs Kodiak does not complain as she Loves small note books, A6 Size, and she can not resit buying them so she has quite a number. At the last count 42 on her desk alone.

So it seems we are suited together, I have the pens to write with and she has the note books to write in. :Razz

Bobinovich
12-Jul-12, 11:38
LOL I reckon there's a little OCD in all of us...

donnick
12-Jul-12, 11:48
when emptying my kitchen drawer i counted 32 pens so the must be catching

pat
12-Jul-12, 14:17
Aye RecQuery - I first started collecting pens and freebies at fairs, always a competetion to see who could get the most freebies and the silliest item possible from the other stands.

I was working for a large tractor manufacturer and attending one of the very large shows - managed to blag 3 XXL boilersuits, hats etc from our main competitors, we ended up using the boilersuits for scarecrows decorations at staff Halloween party, at that show I also acquired 3 goldfish who quite happily joined the aquarium in the office - guess who won the prize for that show?

Kodiak
12-Jul-12, 16:53
Aye RecQuery - I first started collecting pens and freebies at fairs, always a competetion to see who could get the most freebies and the silliest item possible from the other stands.

I was working for a large tractor manufacturer and attending one of the very large shows - managed to blag 3 XXL boilersuits, hats etc from our main competitors, we ended up using the boilersuits for scarecrows decorations at staff Halloween party, at that show I also acquired 3 goldfish who quite happily joined the aquarium in the office - guess who won the prize for that show?

I would say that the Goldfish won for collecting you.

George Brims
12-Jul-12, 19:42
Computer shows used to be great for collecting swag. I was at the tail end of one once and had two carrier bags with mouse mats, pens, frisbees etc with company logos. I came ot one stand with a stack of wee boxes with three Ferrero Rocher chocolates. "It's the last day", this woman was saying to her colleague, "so what will we do with all these?" I just held out the larger bag opened as wide as possible. Very popular at the next group meeting, and at home!
We used to have an electronics engineer who would come back from trade shows with useful stuff rather than trinkets. There's a multi-million dollar instrument on a large telescope that has a whole bunch of freebie bits in its electronics, some of which were hard to buy but he got enough samples to do what we needed.
As for Biros, my mum always did the Daily Express crossword. She would start it in the daytime but finish it in bed later. If ever you needed a pen in our house you just went to her bedside table; there were twenty or thirty there sometimes!

Corrie 3
12-Jul-12, 20:21
I think it's time Northern Constabulary looked at this thread......it's time a few of you were locked up in the Pen(atentiary)!!!

C3...........:roll:;)

billmoseley
12-Jul-12, 20:24
groan. i had an inkling someone would pen a few jokes and it had to be his nibs corrie as he is a fountain of knowledge on these bad jokes

Corrie 3
12-Jul-12, 20:30
groan. i had an inkling someone would pen a few jokes and it had to be his nibs corrie as he is a fountain of knowledge on these bad jokes
Well Bill, I had an enforced months holiday so have had time to think up some new light hearted stuff....I have a pen(chant) for such matter!!

C3........;);)

billmoseley
12-Jul-12, 20:52
Well Bill, I had an enforced months holiday so have had time to think up some new light hearted stuff....I have a pen(chant) for such matter!!

C3........;);) i have missed my old sparing partner on here welcome back and now behave lolo

oldmarine
12-Jul-12, 21:13
Looks like I have a lot of company.

Corrie 3
12-Jul-12, 21:41
i have missed my old sparing partner on here welcome back and now behave lolo
Missed you to Bill, it's been a long month without the .Org!!
I promise to not let anyone wind me up again....:roll:

I am surprised no one has owned up to taking pens from the Bookies, I see a lot of discarded Bookie pens near to where I live!

C3.............;);)

Dadie
12-Jul-12, 22:08
Sigh ......in our house a pen is like hens teeth...I take phone notes in crayon at times...did wonder where they all went...but see the pen pinchers are in abundance!

pat
13-Jul-12, 06:51
Kodiak - do not know if I was the winner for the goldfish or for acquiring so many huge boilersuits of our direct competitors in the sale of tractors and heavy machinery.

Dadie - can guarantee when I want to jot a number down whilst on phone, the pen I pick up will not write, until I come off the phone then works perfectly! Anytime you are here you can collect quite a few spare pens, 50 or so to start with please!

Angel
15-Jul-12, 18:23
Not one pen was one of those little ones you get from argos and apparently betting shops...

I think the strangest one is from Tennasee USA... never been...

Angel...