PDA

View Full Version : Bt Broadband In Dunbeath

SeaviewFlowers
28-Nov-06, 00:37
Hello,

Whats the story with Bt Broadband at the moment...!!! Its Rubbish basically, the speed is disgraceful. You have to wait ages for some pages to come up, in fact most of the pages you click on wont even appear, you get the good old error message "The page cannot be displayed" Makes me MAD :mad: :mad: !!!

I have be in touch via email to them but are not very helpful, says that the technical side will get in touch. But as usual i hear nowt.
Complaints means nothing to them either.

Everyone i no in the village thats with them, their Internet connection is running like a bag of bolts, in CRAP.

Anybody else got problems in the area...?

newlabeluk
28-Nov-06, 12:54
see the BT Broadband Thread,lol.
and be aware they clear down the fault records every sunday night so even if they haven't fixed it it gets closed as completed.

SeaviewFlowers
28-Nov-06, 18:57
see the BT Broadband Thread,lol.
and be aware they clear down the fault records every sunday night so even if they haven't fixed it it gets closed as completed.

Yea i have seen it but i just wanted to start a new post for it in Dunbeath... Just to see what problems other people are having in the area..

Well so far its still the good ole same, RUBBISH. Connection is still slow, pages still wont come up first time... Its just not right...

Whos else in Dunbeath area are having problems with them..?

Anyone had any luck with BT...?

Im just going to get on the phone to them again..!!!

SeaviewFlowers
28-Nov-06, 19:33
Just of the phone from an hour call with Bt Broadband in darn India... Why cant the call centers be in this country, you would get the message through a bit easier..!!!

No further on really, all they told me that i would be contacted in 24 hours from the technical support, and they will check the line and exchange again to see whats going on. But will they...?

I will update if theres any updates...

A_Usher
28-Nov-06, 20:09
Been through all of the call backs, check the exchange etc, to be told that if you dont live next to the exchange then it due to us being to far away.

We know its nonsense, as we know we dont live that far from the exchange, so in essence they are not going to do all about it. All was well for us until last tuesday, we never had any time ours, slow speed etc.

I had wondered if it was due to more people connecting in Dunbeath and to do with shared bandwith.

wings
28-Nov-06, 22:04
This problem is driving me mad!!!

I dont think its to many connected to the exchange either because as far as i am aware having spoken to others is that it happened from one specific day last week..
surely bt didnt connect a rake of people causing the overload on one day..
nah i think theres a definate fault..

And its happening all day...
Surely everyone cannot be connecting all day and causing it to run slow!!??

I'll mayb give bt a bash tommorow myself and not come of from them until i speak to a manager!!

but then thats if i can be bothered being on the phone for hours on end with them!!

pultneytooner
28-Nov-06, 22:23
Hello,

Whats the story with Bt Broadband at the moment...!!! Its Rubbish basically, the speed is disgraceful. You have to wait ages for some pages to come up, in fact most of the pages you click on wont even appear, you get the good old error message "The page cannot be displayed" Makes me MAD !!!

I have be in touch via email to them but are not very helpful, says that the technical side will get in touch. But as usual i hear nowt.
Complaints means nothing to them either.

Everyone i no in the village thats with them, their Internet connection is running like a bag of bolts, in CRAP.

Anybody else got problems in the area...?
Try cleaning your pc of any unnecessary diles, maybe that will help, if not please post in the technical forum as you are more likely to get pro help there.:D

wings
28-Nov-06, 22:39
And just to add i certainly wont be paying for this service much longer if this continues!! Not that Bt will care!!

the service out here in Dunbeath has always been spot on until last week...

someone i know who lives a stones throw away from the exchange is having the same troubles so there is definately an underlying problem..

at least 7 or 8 people alone that i know of out here are having this problem..

A_Usher
29-Nov-06, 09:47
Yup, if we are all experiencing similar, problems, from last week, and not before, it says it all. However, how do we get BT to listen, i have tried, and keep gettin the same reply....

SeaviewFlowers
29-Nov-06, 17:30
Bt engineering was out today, and guess what...? Still no different.!! He told me that he has done all he can to help and Now its up to the Exchange People, whoever in the hell they are i dont no, anyway....

He has told me to give them another call to make sure their getting someone to get it looked at. So I will updated in a whiley what the story is....

SeaviewFlowers
29-Nov-06, 17:40
Try cleaning your pc of any unnecessary diles, maybe that will help, if not please post in the technical forum as you are more likely to get pro help there.:D

Na its sure aint that all has been tried, its just Bt at its best i would say... A rubbish connection and service..!

Thanks anyway

A_Usher
29-Nov-06, 17:56
Na its sure aint that all has been tried, its just Bt at its best i would say... A rubbish connection and service..!

Thanks anyway

Despite us being told the engineer was coming out, he never arrived :(
Connection is as bad as ever.

SeaviewFlowers
29-Nov-06, 17:58
Just of the phone to BT, not in the UK but in darn India again..!!! The problem is getting looked at in the UK, so when you call BT you want to speak to a UK person not someone in another country..! Grrrrrrrr....

Anyway... i asked to get put to someone in the UK but he wasn't having it, he said all lines were busy, rubbish..! So i thought i would give him another bash. He looked at the files, said something, and again then eventually he said someone will be out at the exchange tomorrow 100% guarantee to get it fixed, i said ok i will wait and see in the morning, but if not ill be back on the phone to see whats going on..

......so well wait and see about this one..... any bets...?? :lol:

Will wait until tomorrow to see if anything really gets done..

Antediluvian
29-Nov-06, 19:05
There are a few things you can do in the mean time to test your connection. This could give you some quantitave data rather than just saying its slow. And certainly give you some ammunition to use against BT

Search in google for "broadband speed test" or "adsl speed test" and run some of the online tests for your download speeds, pick sites that are in the UK or designed for UK otherwise you may not get an accurate download estimate. Also just because you have a half or meg service doesn't mean you should expect it as your download speed, its just a maximum, but you should get above 75% of your maximum if everything is running peachy. Be sure to run the speed test when no other online services are active including explorer/firefox, email, messenger programs.

Theres more to broadband than just bandwidth and you have to check your latency, click start>run and type cmd and press enter. In the box that comes up type ping **url** and type any url you want ie, ping news.bbc.co.uk or ping www.caithness.org, this is the time it takes to get data from your pc to the hosted site and back, sites within the UK should be under 50ms unless they are busy. Also beware than some sites ignore pings for a variety of reasons so don't worry if you type in some addresses and you don't get a response.

Broadband isn't an easy technology it has many variables, one such has been eluded to and is sharing, although technically it is known as contention. contention is a big deal in adsl and it won't substantially affect your bandwidth but it can influence your latency. Contention varies greatly between isps and even within regions it could be as high as 50:1 or even 100:1, all it would take is 10 or so people using all of their bandwidth on p2p or mega downloading, or 30-40 people browsing, checking emails and using messengers to affect everyone elses connection increasing latency to a few seconds, which when you have broadband, can make sites appear to take ages or even time out depending on your settings, hence fair usage policys, grr.

It sounds as though the qos is variable, some days is much worse than others? which could point to a contention issue which you've agreed to signing up to the service, or a periodic environmental or technical issue, both of which is very hard to trace, and I can only hope they catch the problem as it happens.

Anyway am diverging on techy stuff, could talk for hours on adsl. Run the download and latency tests it may give you an idea how bad the problem is, BT will more than likely pass the buck but you can characterise the problem. Good luck with BT

A_Usher
29-Nov-06, 19:12
There are a few things you can do in the mean time to test your connection. This could give you some quantitave data rather than just saying its slow. And certainly give you some ammunition to use against BT

Search in google for "broadband speed test" or "adsl speed test" and run some of the online tests for your download speeds, pick sites that are in the UK or designed for UK otherwise you may not get an accurate download estimate. Also just because you have a half or meg service doesn't mean you should expect it as your download speed, its just a maximum, but you should get above 75% of your maximum if everything is running peachy. Be sure to run the speed test when no other online services are active including explorer/firefox, email, messenger programs.

Theres more to broadband than just bandwidth and you have to check your latency, click start>run and type cmd and press enter. In the box that comes up type ping **url** and type any url you want ie, ping news.bbc.co.uk or ping www.caithness.org, this is the time it takes to get data from your pc to the hosted site and back, sites within the UK should be under 50ms unless they are busy. Also beware than some sites ignore pings for a variety of reasons so don't worry if you type in some addresses and you don't get a response.

Broadband isn't an easy technology it has many variables, one such has been eluded to and is sharing, although technically it is known as contention. contention is a big deal in adsl and it won't substantially affect your bandwidth but it can influence your latency. Contention varies greatly between isps and even within regions it could be as high as 50:1 or even 100:1, all it would take is 10 or so people using all of their bandwidth on p2p or mega downloading, or 30-40 people browsing, checking emails and using messengers to affect everyone elses connection increasing latency to a few seconds, which when you have broadband, can make sites appear to take ages or even time out depending on your settings, hence fair usage policys, grr.

It sounds as though the qos is variable, some days is much worse than others? which could point to a contention issue which you've agreed to signing up to the service, or a periodic environmental or technical issue, both of which is very hard to trace, and I can only hope they catch the problem as it happens.

Anyway am diverging on techy stuff, could talk for hours on adsl. Run the download and latency tests it may give you an idea how bad the problem is, BT will more than likely pass the buck but you can characterise the problem. Good luck with BT

What you have written pretty much is what BT ask you to check when you are a call with them. Im pretty clued up in this, having previous been a manager with Microsoft, and an IT consultant for several medical surgeries, along with being a computer science grad. There is a definate problem with BT Broadband in Dunbeath.

Antediluvian
29-Nov-06, 19:20
Very sorry was just trying to be helpful, none of this was covered in the thread and last time I spoke to BT the UK was sans broadband and have done a very good job of avoiding them.

A_Usher
29-Nov-06, 19:30
One of the reasons i went with them, was the disaster of upgrading from ISDN, ISP providers couldnt transfer me, which they should have been able to do, but it all came down to having a Helmsdale number due to ISDN and computer systems telling providers we where to far from the exchange, even BT had to disconnect the ISDN, give us a new number, and then again book broadband...

Now my year is up we are considering a move, which should be easier.

Antediluvian
29-Nov-06, 19:41
I actually checked out the dunbeath exchange and there was no info on whether the local loop unbundling had been completed??!?

There was a community in dorset that was so fed up waiting for broadband, that they clubbed together for a leased line and set up a blanket wireless network. Am not sure the topography of dunbeath would agree to an easy implementation, but it could be done..

SeaviewFlowers
29-Nov-06, 20:11
Ooh technical stuff, I'm lost :lol:

The engineer told me today it will defiantly be a fault in the exchange, as there is nothing wrong anywhere else. He tried all he could to fix it but nothing helped. So he said that he has to pass it onto the Exchange People for them to fix (why dont they put a bigger better exchange in, that might work)?.

So i hope they get there fingers out and fix it in the next day or so.

The internet is really annoying now, getting worse if anything...! [disgust]

Good old rubbish Bt, their quick enough taking the money from you, but aren't quick enogh at sorting things..!!

A_Usher
01-Dec-06, 14:24
So far today has seen no timeouts, good speed test and all seems well. Fingers and toes crossed.

SeaviewFlowers
01-Dec-06, 16:41
Been on the phone to BT today..and....

They have confirmed that there is a problem with the exchange. 40 people have reported it in Dunbeath so far..! I also got told by a manager that this problem will get fixed on Monday for sure, so will wait and see..

He also said that a re-fund will be given when it is fixed, but to do this you need to call 0845 600 7030 and tell them how long its not been working for i.e 2 months and they will give the next month(s) internet free of charge. Make sure you do this, don't let them get away with it for nothing..!

I managed to get 2 free months and a free router, not that bad i suppose, but i must see if i can get the call charges back also...

Anyone else had any luck with them on the phone..?

Kirdon
01-Dec-06, 21:15
Hi Seaveiw flowers, Not wanting to use this forum to boast about my work history nor fancy educaa (schoolin) I used my "degree" in local knowledge and spoke to a local "Openreach" engineer (thats the guys who used to work for BT but now deal with your lines, adsl etc from the exchange door to your telephone, modem etc.) He tells me that they are waiting to get a piece of equipment in the exch fixed by BT as they (openreach) are now not legally allowed to fix it due to OFTEL regs. He also said it does'nt matter who you pay your bill to as this piece of equipment deals with all service providers. If you have been allocated the particular "card" then you are affected. If you are lucky and are allocated to a different card then you are ok. I will be back in touch if he can find out when this equipment will be or has been changed.

A_Usher
02-Dec-06, 00:38
Been on the phone to BT today..and....

They have confirmed that there is a problem with the exchange. 40 people have reported it in Dunbeath so far..! I also got told by a manager that this problem will get fixed on Monday for sure, so will wait and see..

He also said that a re-fund will be given when it is fixed, but to do this you need to call 0845 600 7030 and tell them how long its not been working for i.e 2 months and they will give the next month(s) internet free of charge. Make sure you do this, don't let them get away with it for nothing..!

I managed to get 2 free months and a free router, not that bad i suppose, but i must see if i can get the call charges back also...

Anyone else had any luck with them on the phone..?

Fortunately for us its only been a problem since last tuesday and today seems back to normal, so i am assuming your connection is also ok? Ironically i got a call today from BT asking me to go through all the procedure again, speedtest, unscrew phone box plate, etc...

Fingers crossed everyone is back to normal. Didnt realise we had as many in dunbeath in broadband, we should make a case for them upgrading the exchange!!

Ironically the surgery connection is crap, although it always has been, for some reason the Health Board put in a 256 connection, and trying to explain to bt and the health board that we can get a 512 living next and therefore the surgery can is like hitting our head off a brick wall.

SeaviewFlowers
02-Dec-06, 16:32
Nope still no difference at all, everything is still the same with me, slow speed, unreliable connection etc.....

I'm waiting to hear from BT on Monday, as there meant to be going to the exchange to get it fixed. They no there is a problem and it needs fixed so i guess its just a waiting game to see if they get it done..

We cant let them get away with it, as no dout the same problems will come back if they do nothing about it. So we need to keep on top of them to make sure something gets done about the problem. I hope that they upgrade the exchange so we get a better reliable service and connection speed.

A_Usher
02-Dec-06, 16:58
Nope still no difference at all, everything is still the same with me, slow speed, unreliable connection etc.....

I'm waiting to hear from BT on Monday, as there meant to be going to the exchange to get it fixed. They no there is a problem and it needs fixed so i guess its just a waiting game to see if they get it done..

We cant let them get away with it, as no dout the same problems will come back if they do nothing about it. So we need to keep on top of them to make sure something gets done about the problem. I hope that they upgrade the exchange so we get a better reliable service and connection speed.

Odd how we are fine, makes you wonder what the hell is going on. Is anyone else in Dunbeath still having problems?

SeaviewFlowers
02-Dec-06, 17:30
Odd how we are fine, makes you wonder what the hell is going on. Is anyone else in Dunbeath still having problems?

Yea everyone that i speak to are still having the same problems still..

I think that it works ok for a wee whiley with some people, but i soon goes back to all the problems.

A_Usher
02-Dec-06, 20:48
Yea everyone that i speak to are still having the same problems still..

I think that it works ok for a wee whiley with some people, but i soon goes back to all the problems.

So far, all still good up here, 484 kps, which is a steady average we have had over the last year. Not sure who else up at my end of dunbeath has broadband or i would ask how theres was, in case is just certain areas of dunbeath with problems.