PDA

View Full Version : local traffic warden

riggerboy
21-Jun-12, 16:20
has anyone else notice how our resident traffic warden looks more like a police officer than a traffic warden, i notice he wears the police uniform, well almost the complete uniform, less the cuffs and the hat, surely this can`t be right, i`m sure if one off us were to dress up like a bobby we would be charged with impersonating a bobby, would it not be more fitting to wear the correct uniform with traffic warden on the back ,?????,i do wonder what the legal status of it all is, ,,, anyone have any ideas

bcsman
21-Jun-12, 16:23
why don't you ask the local traffic warden,im sure he knows all the rules and regulations

grannymoose
21-Jun-12, 17:33
It is the same as recruit security firms, they looking more like police officers each day as well. Makes me wonder if there was mass civil unrest that these guys will be given the full powers, the uniforms already in place.

egregory
21-Jun-12, 18:11
we often talk about him looking like a policeman at work, not sure why???

Alice in Blunderland
21-Jun-12, 18:16
Well I couldn't care less if he dressed up wearing a pink tutu dancing up and down the street,there is a noted difference in the parking when he is on the street as to when he is not lol ;)

Tilly Teckel
21-Jun-12, 19:08
Personally I call him The Terminator - he stands wide-legged with his arms folded and has a very menacing stare. Ooooh, scary [evil]

Mik.M.
21-Jun-12, 19:33
Hardest working man in Wick! And yes I am being sarcastic....................

kevsuths
21-Jun-12, 22:10
I think the hint is where it says POLICE traffic warden he is not like the meter maids in Edinburgh or the like

RN1995
21-Jun-12, 22:23
I think the hint is where it says POLICE traffic warden he is not like the meter maids in Edinburgh or the like

He may be employed by Northern Constabulary but he is not a Police officer, he is a traffic warden! Every part of his uniform should be yellow and black checkers with traffic warden on it not POLICE ! The yellow and black the cap, seems to be the only part of his uniform correct! Too me it is that he wants to be a police officer but isn't so looking like one will do enough !

golach
21-Jun-12, 22:25

We have two types of Traffic Wardens in Edinburgh, The ones who dress in a police type uniform with a diced band on their cap, they are employed by the police, they do Road traffic duties such as directing traffic when traffic lights break down and that ilk,, the others are the "Blue meanies" employed by the council, to collect as much parking fines as possible, they skulk in corners ready to pounce at any moment on the unwary motorist. We also have Litter Wardens who walk around in Hi Vis jackets with body armour on also, drop a fag end in front of them......an instant £40.00 fine

Angel
21-Jun-12, 23:11
I love the way he struts, the way he places the peak of his cap over his eyes, the manacing presence of his mighty power he knows he has...

The job has gone to his head!

Angel...

Rheghead
21-Jun-12, 23:11
Obey the law and all these pesky traffic/litter wardens will be made redundant. Are you with me or against me? :lol:

Gronnuck
21-Jun-12, 23:23
He may be employed by Northern Constabulary but he is not a Police officer, he is a traffic warden! Every part of his uniform should be yellow and black checkers with traffic warden on it not POLICE ! The yellow and black the cap, seems to be the only part of his uniform correct! Too me it is that he wants to be a police officer but isn't so looking like one will do enough !

Your parochial attitude does you no favours. We know he's not a Police Officer, he knows he's not a Police Officer. He wears the uniform he's told to wear by Northern Constabulary as a condition of his employment whatever its colour or style. He's working and probably thankful for it.

Mystical Potato Head
21-Jun-12, 23:46
Your parochial attitude does you no favours. We know he's not a Police Officer, he knows he's not a Police Officer. He wears the uniform he's told to wear by Northern Constabulary as a condition of his employment whatever its colour or style. He's working and probably thankful for it.

Aha,a voice of reason.Be careful,you're supposed to get all worked up about nothing here,being reasonable just will not do.

Thumper
22-Jun-12, 09:29
Does it matter what his uniform looks like? Nurses all wear the same uniform,different colours granted but still the same and nobody accuses them of pretending to be more than they are! I just wish that in Wick people actually took notice of the traffic warden,and stopped parking where ever they feel like it when he isnt about! It has to be one of the worst places ever for illegal parking x

Kevin Milkins
22-Jun-12, 11:43
Uniform apart, I know it's annoying when you get a ticket for parking incorrectly, but he isn't employed to just wind people up.

When he was off work for a while it was chaos down the street and murder for the shops trying to get there deliveries in because of inconsiderate parking.

If you want to be able to move about the streets of Wick with ease and nip into shops to make a collection, then he's a hero for doing his job with due diligence.

RN1995
22-Jun-12, 11:46

Whether he is told to wear that uniform or not it is not his uniform, he may be employed by Northern Constabulary but not as a Police Officer! Well if it is Northern Constabulary telling him what to wear why say in Inverness do Traffic Wardens wear the correct uniform? So this is obviously a local thing.

The purpose of his uniform is to tell the public who he is and what his "duties" are and by wearing the police uniform as said before he is impersonating a police officer (ILLEGAL)

Does it matter what his uniform looks like? Nurses all wear the same uniform,different colours granted but still the same and nobody accuses them of pretending to be more than they are!

Yes it does as I have said the colour/uniform shows what duties/job they are doing.
No nurses aren't criticised because they wear the correct coloured uniform for there job!

neepnipper
22-Jun-12, 13:05
I drive through the centre of Wick every day and often see the traffic warden standing on a corner watching as all the traffic tries to squeeze by all the illegally parked cars, or he is strolling by all the illegally parked cars as if they're invisible! Wonder if he's ever given out a parking ticket along Bridge Street?

Thumper
22-Jun-12, 14:17
Yes it does as I have said the colour/uniform shows what duties/job they are doing.
No nurses aren't criticised because they wear the correct coloured uniform for there job![/QUOTE]

Fair point I suppose,but if he wasnt supposed to be wearing it he wouldnt be,I dont think they would break the law just to save money on a uniform...surely? x

Gronnuck
22-Jun-12, 14:43
Ah the parochial attitude persists. RN1995 - if the uniform bothers you why not just politely ask the guy? Or do you prefer to get indignant and denegrate a public servant you don't even know?
Neenipper the rules covering yellow lines are covered by Waiting Restrictions. In the case of Bridge Street I believe the single yellow line and the appropriate plate inform us that there’s ‘No Waiting’ between 8.00AM and 6.00PM. However drivers are permitted to stop to load and unload; Disabled badge users have more leeway. If you were concerned about a potential problem you could have politely asked the Traffic Warden what his opinion was. The fact that traffic has to ‘squeeze’ anywhere shows that it is still moving albeit slowly. However in an area with lots of pedestrians some would argue this could be a good thing.
The pair of you come across has having huge chips on your shoulders; a lot of resentment against Traffic Wardens.

Kevin Milkins
22-Jun-12, 15:09
I went to the trouble to ask him about his "police uniform" and found him to be very approachable and informative about his position as a "police traffic warden" and his uniform.

Unlike the traffic wardens that you would find in places like Edinburgh, (AKA meter maids) he has more powers to do PNC checks and if a vehicle is on the road illegally he can have it uplifted.

The badge on his hat clearly states Police Traffic Warden, and at no time during our conversation did I feel as if he was going to reach for his gun.;)

Eilanboy
22-Jun-12, 15:23
Well done Kevin for doing the obvious.Do people actually think he would be allowed to wear uniform he wasn't issued with.Why don't all the moaners contact CI Reiss and ask him to explain or is that o obvious a solution

Rheghead
22-Jun-12, 17:17
The idea that the town should suffer with congestion when the warden is off work is stupid. It is the police's job to uphold the traffic law and bylaws and the warden is just there to assist them.

ducati
22-Jun-12, 20:28
Whether he is told to wear that uniform or not it is not his uniform, he may be employed by Northern Constabulary but not as a Police Officer! Well if it is Northern Constabulary telling him what to wear why say in Inverness do Traffic Wardens wear the correct uniform? So this is obviously a local thing.

The purpose of his uniform is to tell the public who he is and what his "duties" are and by wearing the police uniform as said before he is impersonating a police officer (ILLEGAL)

No nurses aren't criticised because they wear the correct coloured uniform for there job!

So says the Uniform Police. What colour is your uniform? :lol:

Kevin Milkins
22-Jun-12, 21:33
The idea that the town should suffer with congestion when the warden is off work is stupid. It is the police's job to uphold the traffic law and bylaws and the warden is just there to assist them.

Because I work in town on a daily basis I would consider myself well placed to make an informed observation on how some people choose to ignore traffic regulations regarding parking.

When I say off work I don't mean a long weekend, he had quite a few weeks off and the parking got progressively worse.
It's not always easy for large lorries to make deliveries in small towns at the best of times and the warden strolling about the streets certainly has the desired effect of making people think twice before parking illegally.

RN1995
22-Jun-12, 22:03
So says the Uniform Police. What colour is your uniform? :lol:

Well considering I am 16, I am not in the police, fire brigade, lifeboat etc etc primarily because I am too young but I am in the sea cadets, being the highest ranking cadet in Caithness and away to the merchant navy in September, I must be doing something right?

ducati
22-Jun-12, 22:06
Well considering I am 16, I am not in the police, fire brigade, lifeboat etc etc primarily because I am too young but I am in the sea cadets, being the highest ranking cadet in Caithness and away to the merchant navy in September, I must be doing something right?

Well done!

Moira
22-Jun-12, 23:03
I went to the trouble to ask him about his "police uniform" and found him to be very approachable and informative about his position as a "police traffic warden" and his uniform.

Unlike the traffic wardens that you would find in places like Edinburgh, (AKA meter maids) he has more powers to do PNC checks and if a vehicle is on the road illegally he can have it uplifted.

The badge on his hat clearly states Police Traffic Warden, and at no time during our conversation did I feel as if he was going to reach for his gun.;)

Thsnks for that Kevin.

It's just such a pity that some folk on this thread have a problem with following the laws of the land and abuse the folk who are employed to enforce them. :)

kevsuths
23-Jun-12, 10:35
Clearly with all the years of driving and not mention life experinece that RN1995 has under his belt he is the best person to advise the Northern Constabulary on how they should dress their employees to ensure that they do not confuse people about the job they are there to do which for a fact is not just handing out parking tickets, he also assists the local police with traffic control duties and on many occasions has directed traffic at several funerals ensuring that mourners can send their loved ones off with as little disruption as possible which I am sure we would all agree we would be very grateful for if it was us that required his assistance.

When he was off work for a long period of time there was alot of grumbling and moaning about how difficult it was to pass along Bridge Street in a car as a result of everyone taking advantage of his absence and parking anyway and anywhere they liked. I can only imagine what the scenario if an ambulance was trying to get through and got caugh up in all that so in my opinion he can stand on Bridge Street in a pair of Bermuda shorts and a string vest because at the end of the day he does make a difference and deserves a bit of respect.

On that note RN1995 why dont you go up to the Police Station and have a word with the Chief Inspector about your concerns that the local traffic warden has the wrong colour jacket or is misleading the public by keeping the traffic flowing and offering assistance to many people that have approached him on the street.

You will need to get someone to give you a lift though considering you are not even old enough to drive!!

teddybear1873
23-Jun-12, 10:46
14214 Bridge Street, Wick lol.

focusRS
23-Jun-12, 11:11
I am required to wear white coveralls when over a barrier at work but now after reading this thread I am thinking that it is wrong of me as I am clearly trying to impersonate a baker.
The warden does a fantastic job in my opinion and I seriously doubt he gets a say in what uniform he wears and even if he did then who cares.