PDA

View Full Version : what do you expect when staying in hotel?

pat
17-Jun-12, 17:10
What are your expectations when staying in any hotel - be it a five star or a very basic hotel?

Would like some replies - will advise after a few replies as to why this question is being asked.

5* I expect very good quality furnishing and fittings as well as the service to go with it, everyone smiling and helpful, doing the cleaning quietly and discreetly, large fluffy towels, chocs on the pillow, slippers, bathrobe, usually iron and board, hairdryer etc in room, beds turned down in evening.

3* I expect pretty basic, clean, helpful staff, good linen, hairdryer available, iron available, no bed turn down, no bathrobe etc, cleaning staff going about work but with a serious deadline in place.

Anything lower I expect to be clean and room to be cleaned/freshened on a daily basis.

Your comments please.

EDDIE
17-Jun-12, 17:20
Well if i read up on the hotels website about the faciltys then thats what i would expect but generaly if the room is clean and everthing in the room works and the linen is clean and the food is ok and it aint a noisy hotel im happy and if there is wifi thats a bonus

Beat Bug
17-Jun-12, 17:48
I expect ALL hotels to be clean and comfortable, with courteous staff. The higher the rating, the more I'd expect. Like luxurious surroundings, white linen cloths on the tables at mealtime, spacious rooms, with somewhere to relax, especially if I'm there for more than one night. But if all I want is somewhere to put my head down for the night to break my journey, then a clean bed is all I ask.

Dadie
17-Jun-12, 19:26
Clean floor, clean bed and linen, clean bathroom.Thats the basics!The better the star rating...the better facilities...expect what the website says the facilities are going to be.

sids
17-Jun-12, 21:50
Sophisticated courtesans bearing gifts of cocaine.

Alan16
17-Jun-12, 22:04
I work in a guest house alongside me studies here, a small family run place (with a 3-star rating), and even though the majority of our bookings come via the website or comparison sites which detail precisely the services we offer, it's amazing the number of people who come and then complain that they were expecting something or other extra (when in my opinion we already offer more than might be expected of a 3-star guest house). But as is the job you put on a smile, be courteous and try and help as best you can.

telfordstar
17-Jun-12, 22:14
why is the question being asked

squidge
17-Jun-12, 22:27
Friendliness, cleanliness and a well cooked breakfast from all hotels and then the more I pay the more i expect.

pat
17-Jun-12, 22:54
Thanks for all your answers

OH staying in a place which had been shut but is now opened under new management, on return to room for 2nd night room had not been 'freshened', this is one of the things I would expect any hotel, or accommodation provider other than self-catering to do on a daily basis.
On asking why - given a couple of reasons, one of which was that OH had to ask for room to be done!!

I run a 4* B&B and was surprised at both the answers given as a reason for the room not being done (other one is personal) - has been done in days since, but it does make me wonder about my expectations of accommodation providers.

Dadie
17-Jun-12, 23:18
Some hotels expect the towels etc to be thrown in the bath/shower if you want them changed...if you actually take the care to hang them up again they are left!
If you bung up, the do not disturb notice, I expect that to be honoured...so no cleaning etc done...
Some basic hotels need told to do the room daily and extra charges apply...£19 rooms hotels etc....you know the ones that dont do toiletries etc...

oldmarine
19-Jun-12, 21:20
What are your expectations when staying in any hotel - be it a five star or a very basic hotel?

Would like some replies - will advise after a few replies as to why this question is being asked.

5* I expect very good quality furnishing and fittings as well as the service to go with it, everyone smiling and helpful, doing the cleaning quietly and discreetly, large fluffy towels, chocs on the pillow, slippers, bathrobe, usually iron and board, hairdryer etc in room, beds turned down in evening.

3* I expect pretty basic, clean, helpful staff, good linen, hairdryer available, iron available, no bed turn down, no bathrobe etc, cleaning staff going about work but with a serious deadline in place.

Anything lower I expect to be clean and room to be cleaned/freshened on a daily basis.

Your comments please.

All of the above would satisfy me.

Dadie
19-Jun-12, 21:57
I also hate it when they try too hard and you have towels shaped as swans or fans on your bed, and your jammies artfully posed....that gives me the heebie jeebies!
And the chocs on the pillows...whats that about...to much to remember to remove them after a nights entertainment...wake up with chocolate smeared over your face!
I would rather the chocs on the tray with the tea and coffee along with some nice biccies.....and a well stocked minibar......