PDA

View Full Version : Ebay

acameron
24-Nov-06, 18:05
I know of one person who could if they wanted make a very good living from eBay. Does anyone else have a success story in connection with eBay, and what is the best strategy for selling.

DarkAngel
24-Nov-06, 18:11
I love ebay. Im, always buying something handy from there..I did try and sell a few things but got mucked around by a few people and that has put me of from selling. But i buy loads. :D

henry20
24-Nov-06, 18:14
DarkAngel, are you my mum? She buys LOADS too :roll: Between eBay & QVC, she keeps the postie busy :lol:

DarkAngel
24-Nov-06, 18:18
Haha Henry20...Im still a young lady yet..Just past 21! :)

Kaishowing
24-Nov-06, 18:30
A couple of years ago we managed to finance a trip down to the outlaws thanks to our ebay luck...Bought some things that were on offer from a shop, and then flogged them on ebay and people paid sometimes up to 10 times what we paid.

As for tips, we found that arranging for auctions to finish on a Sunday afternoon works pretty good for some reason.
Also even though it costs a few extra pence, shell out for a gallery picture. People are far more likely to look at an item with a picture in the search results.
If possible, take a picture of what you're selling rather than lifting an image from a website, even if it's the exact model/make of what you're selling. Even a quick snapshot of the exact item on offer looks more honest than something looking too slick.
Check your spelling when setting the auction up, as it just creates a better impression.
Take advantage of the free Turbo-Lister programme on the ebay pages. It gives you plenty of control over how your finished page will look.
Don't get too greedy over the postage.
When you see someone trying to be VERY cheeky over the postage costs, that puts people off.

Okay...now I'll shut up. LOL :lol:

connieb19
24-Nov-06, 18:50
...Bought some things that were on offer from a shop, and then flogged them on ebay and people paid sometimes up to 10 times what we paid
I think it's things like this that puts me off buying off Ebay. :( The other thing that puts me off is if you get something and it stinks of smoke.

Kaishowing
24-Nov-06, 20:08
I think it's things like this that puts me off buying off Ebay. :(

We thought that as what we got was called a 'regional' offer from the shop, that it wasn't taking advantage of the gullible.....Plus we started them off at slightly less than we paid for the items, so if people had just entered the basic bids, we would have made a loss.
After all, the monetary value of something is only set by what people are willing to pay for it, and we didn't have a gun to anyone's head.
What may be worth pennies to one person, may be worth pounds to another, but I'm not going to get into a discussion about basic economics.

Billy Boy
24-Nov-06, 20:12
is there such a thing as ebay addiction? cause mrs bb suffer's from it real bad,if anybody could recomend a therapist drop me a pm[lol]

acameron
24-Nov-06, 20:17
I am going to start selling on eBay soon. Wonder if there is a gap in the market for Highland Gigolo?
Do most people sell a specific item or many different items?

Billy Boy
24-Nov-06, 20:35
lol you could try selling the real angus boo pie's, made in scotland from prime springpark beef a little fat around the edges hurts no one ;)

wild1
25-Nov-06, 00:38
Another thing you have to watch out for is the postage costs what with the new postage costs last time I sold things on ebay I never estimated the right cost on posting items and I was left out of pocket so always get your items weighed first.

Emms
25-Nov-06, 01:32
I have sold loads of things on ebay - but have never bought to re-sell, just used ebay as a means of clearing house out regularly. Have sold furniture, bikes, playstation games, toys etc. My best seller though was big clothes as I was unwell earlier this year and lost five stone. I couldn't believe how popular larger size (not saying what size) clothes were - prices went through the roof. So anyone with spare fashionable plus size clothing - get them on ebay.

I have also bought loads on ebay. My best buys were trip for 6 to Monaco Grand Prix in private chartered plane and 10 tickets to Open Championships at St Andrews. Both great days and saved a bomb.

Moby
25-Nov-06, 18:29
Thought this link may answer some queries:

http://www.bebo.com/FlashBox.jsp?FlashBoxId=2176167907

young
25-Nov-06, 19:29
Thought this link may answer some queries:

http://www.bebo.com/FlashBox.jsp?FlashBoxId=2176167907

nice one!!!

htwood
25-Nov-06, 21:29
I've sold some things on Ebay and had very good luck with it. It does take some time to write the description accurately, and take a good pic. I price things low, because my reason for selling is to send items to a new happy home, where someone will use and treasure it. And if I get a bit of coin for it, thats great, too.

It's work for sure, you have to answer all emailed questions quickly, then package it securely and wait in line at post office. I dont list more than one thing at a time, cuz I also work full time.

go for it acameron! You can always start out slowly and see how it goes.

oldmarine
25-Nov-06, 23:48
I've sold some things on Ebay and had very good luck with it. It does take some time to write the description accurately, and take a good pic. I price things low, because my reason for selling is to send items to a new happy home, where someone will use and treasure it. And if I get a bit of coin for it, thats great, too.

It's work for sure, you have to answer all emailed questions quickly, then package it securely and wait in line at post office. I dont list more than one thing at a time, cuz I also work full time.

go for it acameron! You can always start out slowly and see how it goes.

Helen, your reasons and way of selling on ebay are wonderful. Always thinking of the other person is quite worthy. I've never tried ebay, but if I do I will have to remember the way you do so.