PDA

View Full Version : Stroma - Edited By Donald Young

lildj
10-Jun-12, 23:26
dose any one know where i can buy or if you can still get the book "Stroma - Edited By Donald Young" had a look on amazon and there is 1 for £90!!

Bill Fernie
11-Jun-12, 00:23
The book has been out of print for man years. I have had many enquiries over the past 10 years asking for that book.

lildj
11-Jun-12, 00:28
The book has been out of print for man years. I have had many enquiries over the past 10 years asking for that book.
really!!! grr lol the library might have it

Kodiak
11-Jun-12, 13:23
dose any one know where i can buy or if you can still get the book "Stroma - Edited By Donald Young" had a look on amazon and there is 1 for £90!!

Did you see the other copy for sale at Amazon? Only £226.38 + £2.80 P&P. Makes me wish I had a copy now.

http://i.imgur.com/NJBLs.jpg

John Little
11-Jun-12, 13:51
The booksearch at Hay on Wye reveals another copy...

http://www.alibris.co.uk/booksearch?keyword=stroma&mtype=B&hs.x=0&hs.y=0&hs=Submit

lildj
12-Jun-12, 17:06
Did you see the other copy for sale at Amazon? Only £226.38 + £2.80 P&P. Makes me wish I had a copy now.

http://i.imgur.com/NJBLs.jpg

i did see that last night when i looked again, and i found another one on a foreign amazon and they were wanting £846! its crazy! lol i was looking threw my grans old books thought she may of had a copy but no luck :( really want to read it! it's annoying me lol

Rheghead
12-Jun-12, 17:09
Me thinks that since this thread started some entrepreneurs have dusted off their old copies and decided to sell due to the raised profile that this has brought.

embow
12-Jun-12, 17:19
The book has been out of print for many years. I have had many enquiries over the past 10 years asking for that book.Donald passed away in early December 2005 and after his wife died a few years later there were I believe still a few copies still in the family but there were few direct relatives left so what happened to those books I've no idea.Not much help but that's the history of things.Try the Groat offices as they might have been the publishers. If not, then the Northern Times.

Munro
12-Jun-12, 17:27
I think Donald may have published the book under Norland Publishing, he certainly did with his later Book of Lybster which was printed by Northern Times Ltd, We met Donald and Jenny in 2004 when we were reseaching my wifes family. they were absolutely charming company and a sad loss to the village of Lybster.

achingale
12-Jun-12, 19:38
Try abebooks.co.uk. Also it was published by North of Scotland Newspapers so I agree with embow - try the Groat offices. You never know. Good luck.

Ballymore
12-Jun-12, 20:36
Have the book - original price sticker still on it - £13.95! Sorry, it's not for sale.

bonami
12-Jun-12, 20:38
I am sure there used to be a copy in Wick library. Might be in the referance section which would mean you would have to read it in there.

Stack Rock
12-Jun-12, 21:42
Have the book - original price sticker still on it - £13.95! Sorry, it's not for sale.

Also have the book in mint condition and its not for sale either

michelle.strutt
28-Jul-12, 01:39
this post just caught my attention. I would also like to get a hold of one of Donald's books, but i'm looking for 'The Book of Lybster'.

I also met Donald back in 1998 when I was visiting from Canada and he showed me the croft (ruins) where my Grandad grew up and introduced me to some 3rd and 4th cousins that still lived near by.

He was still finishing up the book at that point and he told me that there was a section in it all about my Great-Grandad!! If I can't find a copy of the book to own, I was hoping that I could maybe find someone who owned it so that I could possibly get scanned copies of the pages about my G-Grandad (John Sinclair from Upper Lybster known as 'Deddies John', husband of christina Paterson and then Daisy Georgeson).

Is there any chance that one of you who own the Stroma book also happen to own the Lybster book? or maybe i'm even luckier and someone knows how i could get a copy for myself?

any info would be greatly appreciated.

spittalhill
17-Nov-14, 12:35
Are you still looking for someone to copy pages from Book of Lybster, as I have one and would be prepared to do so. did your g-grandfather live at Summerfield, as I have found that reference. Do you know what he did as that would be helpful in looking for other references.
Will

sam09
17-Nov-14, 19:45
There is a copy on Amazon.co. for £45:00 right now.

Kenn
18-Nov-14, 00:07
Don't know which side of the county you are but Thurso reference library had copies of many of these booklets when I was doing some research but as they are in temporary premises at the moment, not sure if that section has been set up.

polsonJ
20-Nov-14, 08:59
Are you still looking for someone to copy pages from Book of Lybster, as I have one and would be prepared to do so.

I would like to draw attention to the Copyright issues in what you are suggesting.