PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Torch Event - Caithness Horizons

caithness horizons
08-Jun-12, 13:22
Hi All,

Just wanted to let you all know of an exciting event we have planned here at Caithness Horizons over this weekend to welcome the Olympic Torch to John O'Groats!

On Saturday 9th June from 2pm - 4pm we will be holding a torch making workshop, bring the kids along and they can make their own Olympic Torch and flag. You can then book a place on our bus which will be taking our torch makers through to John O'Groats on Sunday to welcome the arrival of the torch. A procession is planned at John O'Groats where our torch makers can take part and then join in the community singing leading up to the 'torch kiss'!

Travel on the bus is free of charge, as is the workshop however there are limited spaces so please book early on Saturday! All children must be accompanied by a parent/guardian.

Lots of debate surrounds the Olympic Torch being at John O'Groats but we think that it is still a once in a generation opportunity to see the torch in action in our community, we would be delighted for as many people as possible to join us!!

Caithness Horizons

Phill
09-Jun-12, 01:42
For clarity, THE torch is going by aeroplane from Inverness to Kirkwall. Right!

Kodiak
09-Jun-12, 11:51
For clarity, THE torch is going by aeroplane from Inverness to Kirkwall. Right!

You are correct but since there was a Huge moan about the torch Not appearing anywhere up here it has been arranged for a Duplicate Torch to appear at John O'Groats.

This will happen, I believe for I will Not be there, tomorrow 10th June. I do not know the time but there is another thread about this, click link below :-

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?179068-Olympic-torch-at-John-o-Groats

secrets in symmetry
09-Jun-12, 13:03
For clarity, THE torch is going by aeroplane from Inverness to Kirkwall. Right!Lol! I'm sure you know as well as I do that there is no such thing as THE torch. Isn't every leg run with a different torch - with each one being lit from its predecessor?

The point is that the "current" torch carries THE flame - which is just as meaningful as THE torch, because the "forked" flame comes from the same source as THE flame.

It's all symbolic, but some flames are more symbolic than others - somehow or other....

Phill
09-Jun-12, 14:15
It's all shambolicFixed it.Valid point about THE torch. What I mean is the relay isn't passing through Caithness and John O'Groats as part of the route, just a bit of crass publicity with a random torch which no doub't will end up on eBay for a few quid.However the rest of the country and world will be told that the relay travelled from lands end to JOG etc. etc. etc.Just a load of bollaux in my opinion.

secrets in symmetry
09-Jun-12, 14:23
Ok, I get it now, the John O'Groats route is not part of THE route. Nevertheless, A torch is being lit from THE flame from A torch on THE route.

Alternatively, you could say THE route is a forked route, and Groats is one of THE forks of THE route, albeit a rather short pronged fork.

tootz
10-Jun-12, 17:06
THE torch is made of paper. Just seen it. JOKE.

RecQuery
11-Jun-12, 09:30
Hi All,

Just wanted to let you all know of an exciting event we have planned here at Caithness Horizons over this weekend to welcome the Olympic Torch to John O'Groats!

On Saturday 9th June from 2pm - 4pm we will be holding a torch making workshop, bring the kids along and they can make their own Olympic Torch and flag. You can then book a place on our bus which will be taking our torch makers through to John O'Groats on Sunday to welcome the arrival of the torch. A procession is planned at John O'Groats where our torch makers can take part and then join in the community singing leading up to the 'torch kiss'!

Travel on the bus is free of charge, as is the workshop however there are limited spaces so please book early on Saturday! All children must be accompanied by a parent/guardian.

Lots of debate surrounds the Olympic Torch being at John O'Groats but we think that it is still a once in a generation opportunity to see the torch in action in our community, we would be delighted for as many people as possible to join us!!

Caithness Horizons

Oi! Are you an approved sponsor? If not, please refer instead to "summer festivities" or "unique events in London". Don't want to have to get the heavy lawyers in, now.