PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Torch for Sale Already !

Kodiak
19-May-12, 18:12
I see one of the Olympic Torch Bearers have put their Torch that they carried up for sale on eBay :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/London-2012-Olympic-Torch-/330735585904?pt=UK_Sports_Memorabilia_ET&hash=item4d01608a70

Last time I looked it was at £8,500.00.

I think that this should not have been allowed and does not exactly show the Olympic Spirit.

Tilly Teckel
19-May-12, 18:27
I reckon we should all club together and buy it for Caithness - its the only way we're getting the torch up here! We should have our own Games too... any suggestions for events??

John Little
19-May-12, 18:32
Considering how much money has been leached away from the Heritage Lottery fund to get this circus on the road, the money should go back whereit came from and be used for good causes, not private gain!

andyw
19-May-12, 18:32
Torch now £153800.00

John Little
19-May-12, 18:37
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7935985.stm

Kodiak
19-May-12, 19:08
I see that all bids on the Torch have been cancelled and the listing has been withdrawn as the seller no longer has it for sale.

So that is a bit of good news.

Corrie 3
19-May-12, 19:21
I used to love the Olympics in years gone by but now? Well it's gone the same road as everything else in this country, everybody out to make as much as they can for themselves. Greed is a terrible disease, may they rot in Hell!!

C3...............:eek:[disgust]

Dadie
19-May-12, 21:00
There are a few torches and torch bearer outfits on ebay now....wonder if the price will come down as more get added!

sids
19-May-12, 21:58
I think that this should not have been allowed

I don't expect everything I find slightly distasteful to be banned by law.

laguna2
19-May-12, 22:14
Apparently the torch bearers were given the opportunity to buy the torches they carried for £215. Surprised that no one thought that this might happen. So much for their pride in being a torch bearer!

Kodiak
19-May-12, 22:24
I don't expect everything I find slightly distasteful to be banned by law.

I never said ANYTHING about being banned by Law. All I said that I didnt think it should be allowed as it did not show the Olympic Spirit.

Moira
19-May-12, 22:33
I see that all bids on the Torch have been cancelled and the listing has been withdrawn as the seller no longer has it for sale.

So that is a bit of good news.

Thank goodness for that then.......

EOS
19-May-12, 22:36
There are a few torches and torch bearer outfits on ebay now....wonder if the price will come down as more get added!
There is one torch with bid of £130.100.00 and one at £111.100.00 and it even has a reserve not met on it. Plus they even want extra for P&P ( thats what you call a brass neck) The torches cost £495 to manufacture and if the torch bearer wanted to keep it the price was £240.00 not bad money for running a couple of hundred yards . Never mind with 8000 made (WITH LOTTERY FUNDS) you might be lucky and get a bargin.

changilass
19-May-12, 22:42
At the end of the day the torch is his to do what he wants with. Who is to say they are not giving the money to charity, just cos they don't say so don't mean they aint gonna. Even if they keep the money its their business, no one elses.

If everyone thought it was disgusting, there would be no bids.

sids
19-May-12, 22:42
I never said ANYTHING about being banned by Law. All I said that I didnt think it should be allowed as it did not show the Olympic Spirit.

So shouldn't be allowed, by a mystical force then.

golach
19-May-12, 22:46
No doubt tickets for the Olympics will be on sale on e-bay soon, it not already, nothing wrong with that, its called free enterprise

sids
19-May-12, 22:54
No doubt tickets for the Olympics will be on sale on e-bay soon, it not already, nothing wrong with that, its called free enterprise

If they're a million guineas each, it'll make no difference to me.

golach
19-May-12, 22:55
If they're a million guineas each, it'll make no difference to me.

Nor me sids

EOS
19-May-12, 23:06
Ebay has banned the sale of Olympic tickets To really deter unauthorised sellors and vendors fines have been increased by four times to £20,000 for those convicted of illegally re-selling tickets

Wick Fix
20-May-12, 00:54
On sale again over £150k

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/London-2012-Olympic-Torch-/270981379377?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DDLSL%252BSIC.NPJS%26its%3DI%26itu %3DUCI%252BUA%26otn%3D10%26pmod%3D330735585904%252 B330735585904%26po%3D%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D85366111 19411478083

I have a torch for sale too. 50p anyone? *Batteries not included.

rogermellie
20-May-12, 01:51
if someone is trying to make a quick buck and someone is stoopid enough to pay that much for it then game on. (i watched an advert last night featuring some unkown GB athlete selling shampoo and thought the same)

no-one is forcing these dafties to bid on the torch ..... wait a minute ... rogue bids i betcha

either way, i support the little people cashing in on the olympics instead of the fat cat big wig scratch mine i'll lick yours corporate machine

bothyman
20-May-12, 10:56
It's not worth much if it doesn't have the original flame ??

smithp
20-May-12, 13:58
Are you sure these aren't spoof bids by people also appalled at the sale of the torch?

slinky
20-May-12, 15:34
http://travel.aol.co.uk/2012/05/20/olympic-torches-for-sale-on-ebay/?icid=maing-grid7|uk|dl10|sec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D108823

seems there quite entilted to sell them

theone
20-May-12, 15:51

They've made re-selling of olympic tickets for profit illegal.

I read somewhere that people were getting around this rule by offering "olympic polo shirt for sale - £5000, includes free ticket to the 100m final" etc.

golach
20-May-12, 15:57
They've made re-selling of olympic tickets for profit illegal.

I read somewhere that people were getting around this rule by offering "olympic polo shirt for sale - £5000, includes free ticket to the 100m final" etc.

Thought there would be some way around it [disgust]

focusRS
20-May-12, 17:22
If something cost me £240 and i could get thousands for it then it would be bye bye torch.
I see no shame in it whatsoever.

Alrock
20-May-12, 22:56
£153,100.00 (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/London-2012-Olympic-Torch-/330735828718?pt=UK_Sports_Memorabilia_ET&hash=item4d01643eee)

RecQuery
21-May-12, 08:00
The Olympics is a joke anyway:

The security theatre of the SAM sites.
Most of the tickets going to sponsors and businesses.
Sponor only road access.
Other concessions and advantages given to sponsors and businesses.
Constantly saying it's on budget, but that's only after doubling the initial budget.

I seriously don't know why any country would bid for it, it has no advantages.

As for the pride and honour of the torch bearers, I'm sure that will keep them well fed and their bills paid. I'm sure the Olympic spirit could chip in also...

...The power and the glory's just another bloody lie they use to keep us all in line.

EDIT: Apparently the auction is to fund a community group anyway (http://www.burnham-on-sea.com/news/2012/sarah-milner-simonds-torch-sale-20-05-12.php), so it's for charity.

Corrie 3
21-May-12, 09:59
The Olympics is a joke anyway:

The security theatre of the SAM sites.
Most of the tickets going to sponsors and businesses.
Sponor only road access.
Other concessions and advantages given to sponsors and businesses.
Constantly saying it's on budget, but that's only after doubling the initial budget.

I seriously don't know why any country would bid for it, it has no advantages.

As for the pride and honour of the torch bearers, I'm sure that will keep them well fed and their bills paid. I'm sure the Olympic spirit could chip in also...

...The power and the glory's just another bloody lie they use to keep us all in line.

EDIT: Apparently the auction is to fund a community group anyway (http://www.burnham-on-sea.com/news/2012/sarah-milner-simonds-torch-sale-20-05-12.php), so it's for charity.
That, and the fact that the main sponsors are MacDonalds, Coca-Cola and Visa have ruined this once great event. How on Earth can you have two of the most unhealthiest Companies and another that just gets you into serious debt sponsoring something that is all about Human fitness? It was the same with football once it got sold out to Corporates, it goes from sport to money making! The ordinary working man can no longer afford to go to a football match and the same goes for the Olympics. Only the Elite and people with too much money will be able to attend.

C3...........[disgust]

squidge
21-May-12, 10:08
Its not a joke to the athletes competing though. Its a bit like Christmas, if you look hard enough the real meaning is still there even if its hidden behind cheap baubles, tinsel and our consumer society.

RecQuery
21-May-12, 11:06
That, and the fact that the main sponsors are MacDonalds, Coca-Cola and Visa have ruined this once great event. How on Earth can you have two of the most unhealthiest Companies and another that just gets you into serious debt sponsoring something that is all about Human fitness? It was the same with football once it got sold out to Corporates, it goes from sport to money making! The ordinary working man can no longer afford to go to a football match and the same goes for the Olympics. Only the Elite and people with too much money will be able to attend.

C3...........

I forgot to mention that authorities and agencies from the US will be walking the streets armed. One of the sponsors is Dow-Chemical, who are responsible for the Bhopal industrial disaster in India. Picnics, music and mobile phones have been banned. They're also considering banning sandwiches and bottled water. Probably lots of other stuff I'm forgetting, the entire thing is a farce. I can only hope there will be a strike or protest to at least make it interesting.

Its not a joke to the athletes competing though. Its a bit like Christmas, if you look hard enough the real meaning is still there even if its hidden behind cheap baubles, tinsel and our consumer society.

The real meaning is who can take the most performance enhancing drugs, get the most endorsement money and not get caught, though even if they are caught it just lasts for a year so they can get all teary-eyed and start again. Christmas is perhaps a bad example considering it's artificial and an amalgamation of other holidays and festivals.

porshiepoo
21-May-12, 18:59
The runners bought the torches therefore they own them and are free to do as they please with them.
When bills need paying, they need paying and I ccan't say that I'd be too enthused to have one of those torches adorning my front room - think I'd sell it as well.

RecQuery
27-May-12, 16:36
Some reviews of the Olympic mascot (http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B005HP1UHK/).

One of my favourites:

I bought this toy for my son, and he initially seemed quite pleased with it. However, one day he asked me how much the Olympics cost, and I told him that it'd be upwards of £10bn. He commented, 'that's really expensive!' I was about to agree when the figurine produced a water cannon and blasted my son into a wall. He then proceeded to pelt my son with baton rounds while screaming 'HOW DARE YOU INSULT THE SANCTITY OF OUR GLORIOUS OLYMPICS?'

At this point my son was quite dead, and I was understandably upset. Adrian Chiles then came into my living room and started berating my dead son for daring to question the Olympics. It's my understanding that the figurine also filmed all this with his camera eye.

Despite all this the protective case adds a touch of class and the mascot had provided for hours of fun before.

In conclusion I cannot recommend this product as it kills children and summons Adrian Chiles.