PDA

View Full Version : ALDI for Thurso

jaykay
20-Nov-06, 16:28
I have just heard that the supermarket chain ALDI are looking at the old mart site. Apparantly they are looking at other sites in the Highlands as well.

rfr10
20-Nov-06, 16:45
we don't need any more supermarkets!!! :D

funky-dunky
20-Nov-06, 16:58
no thats true we dont need anymore supermakets i think we need somewhere that will sell clothes and trainers. does anyone agree with me..

rfr10
20-Nov-06, 17:27
no thats true we dont need anymore supermakets i think we need somewhere that will sell clothes and trainers. does anyone agree with me..

Yea. I agree with you there. That's why it would be good if Matalan and Next came up here.

jaykay
20-Nov-06, 17:43
[quote=rfr10;162804]we don't need any more supermarkets!!! :D[/quote

I take it you are quite satisfied with the Coop and Sommerfield then!

unicorn
20-Nov-06, 17:46
Do Tesco and Asda not have a clothes range anymore then or are they not selling clothes instore up here?

crashbandicoot1979
20-Nov-06, 17:55
I would say once Tesco is up and running and if/when Asda is here, then we definitely won't need any more supermarkets. And both do really good clothing lines - I'm sure the Tesco plans showed a clothes section??

rfr10
20-Nov-06, 18:02
[quote=rfr10;162804]we don't need any more supermarkets!!! :D[/quote

I take it you are quite satisfied with the Coop and Sommerfield then!

Coop, Somerfield, Tesco, Asda and Lidls is good enough for me :D

jaykay
20-Nov-06, 18:17
[quote=jaykay;162823]

Coop, Somerfield, Tesco, Asda and Lidls is good enough for me :D

We don't have a Tesco in Thurso and Asda is not certain.

caithnessboyagee
20-Nov-06, 18:57
Yea. I agree with you there. That's why it would be good if Matalan and Next came up here.Well keep your fingers cross that might just happen .so the word is from the boys at tesco there sayin that next and matalan could be the next thing up here :Razz

footie chick
20-Nov-06, 20:49
What's happening up here to fund all of these new shops?:confused

funky-dunky
20-Nov-06, 20:53
Well keep your fingers cross that might just happen .so the word is from the boys at tesco there sayin that next and matalan could be the next thing up here :Razz

I hope next or matalan does come up here because even though tesco's and asda might have a range off clothes it wont be much.

Is the clothes in tesco's go up to large sizes as for the people that are big will fell left out as there is no clothes stores up here for them to get clothes from apart from hospice.red cross,cancer shop and mackays.

Has anyone noticed that for pregnant woman they all have to go down to inverness for maternity clothes as even the charity shops do not do any maternity clothes apart from one top now and again xx

jinglejangle
20-Nov-06, 21:25
I hope next or matalan does come up here because even though tesco's and asda might have a range off clothes it wont be much.

Is the clothes in tesco's go up to large sizes as for the people that are big will fell left out as there is no clothes stores up here for them to get clothes from apart from hospice.red cross,cancer shop and mackays.

Has anyone noticed that for pregnant woman they all have to go down to inverness for maternity clothes as even the charity shops do not do any maternity clothes apart from one top now and again xx

when i was expecting i couldn't get maternity clothes up here but i think i saw Wee Ones advertising maternity clothes just recently if you wanted to try there - they are beside Wood Bees in Sinclair Street Thurso

caithnessboyagee
20-Nov-06, 22:08
What's happening up here to fund all of these new shops?:confusedThe mind does wonder it must something big .

crashbandicoot1979
20-Nov-06, 22:25

Not sure how big the Tecso range goes up to be they do to at least a size 20, if not bigger. The range of clothes is actually quite a lot for a supermarket - fantastic quality and dirt cheap :)

Geo
20-Nov-06, 23:44
From what I have read Aldi can be very good. They are not unlike Lidl but I think they also do clothing.

Piglet
21-Nov-06, 00:02
Was in Tescos yesterday & think they go up to a 26 but not a 100% sure could be higher.

henry20
21-Nov-06, 10:36
I was in New Look on Sunday and noticed they are withdrawing their larger sizes from Wick store - 'try your nearest stockist in Inverness' :roll:

WeeBurd
21-Nov-06, 11:16

Funky-Dunky, have you tried internet shopping? TopShop; Next; Mothercare; Dorothy Perkins all do on-line Maternity ranges. There may be more, but these are the ones that spring to mind immediately...

WeeBurd
21-Nov-06, 11:18
I was in New Look on Sunday and noticed they are withdrawing their larger sizes from Wick store - 'try your nearest stockist in Inverness' :roll:

I wouldn't have expected that. Does that suggest there's no market for such a range up here? Very surprising...

henry20
21-Nov-06, 11:25
I must admit, I was surprised too, but it would suggest that there wasn't a market. If they had a reasonable turnover of that range, why would they remove it?

The_man_from_del_monte
21-Nov-06, 12:54
i think we need somewhere that will sell clothes and trainers.

Clothes and "trainers"... what about shoes? ;)

From what I have read Aldi can be very good. They are not unlike Lidl but I think they also do clothing.

Much the same idea as Lidl, they built their empire selling cheap bratwurst and marzipan. I'm all for German supermarkets being built all over the place..... Vorsprung durch teknik as they say in the Motherland. Wunderbar!

What's happening up here to fund all of these new shops?

Probably 50,000 houses going to be slung together in a field near you... it'll be like the wild west up here soon with unscrupulous housing developers buying up fields like there was no tomorrow. "appearing soon, luxury development" argh! time to move to the Falklands I think ;)

rfr10
21-Nov-06, 16:15
I have tried to persuade Matalan and Next to come up here. They said that they would pass my message on but they probably won't do anything about it.

dirdyweeker
21-Nov-06, 22:02

one of the assistants says they are hoping to replace it with boys from birth to teens! Suits me as I have great problems kitting out my 13 year old in Wick. Sorry for you larger ladies though.

crazy
21-Nov-06, 22:13
Definately

If Wick has the retail park, why can't Thurso get JJB sports & NEXT?

percy toboggan
21-Nov-06, 23:18
I'd always thought it a store for the harder up, stack 'em high sell 'em cheap. Well there are less frills at Aldi and I only frequent the one near me once a month or so but they stock good food at economy prices. They source much of their stuff locally - it's policy. Cheap but palatable wine and ale. Plus any number of weird and wonderful things like telescopes, angle-grinders,lawn mowers and everything in-between at good prices. They usually print a newspaper ever fortnight to let you know of upcoming offers. If I lived in Thurso I'd be quite pleased this lot were planning to open up there. For a small town they're a better bet than an ASDA in my opinion. The latter might tend to swallow up the smaller traders. Aldi will have less of an impact.

p.s. their wages are also a cut well above the average but they demand high standards and a lot of commitment.

Rheghead
22-Nov-06, 00:19
of all the cheapo stores, eg netto lidl, aldi are the best and lidl are the worst

Fran
22-Nov-06, 01:42
Tesco only sell their larger ladies clothes at elgin i have been told.
Would be nice to have Farmfoods in Caithness, they are really good.