PDA

View Full Version : The Indepenent Party

gerry4
09-May-12, 11:22
I see that the spokesperson for the Independents in the Highlands Council has said that they are the biggest grouping in the council and so should not be by passed in the running of the council. I find this very confusing because these councillors did not want to stand for a party and so could range from those who have extreme right wing views through to extreme left wing views through to those who could be insane. If they act as 1 group how do we know what their policies would be? They had no joint manifesto. I don't know what an independent councillor from say Skye wants but I know what a SNP or Labour or LibDem councillor wants as it was laid out. We may not get it but that is a different argument.

If you stand as an independent then surely that is how you should act, not gather into some group that no one who voted knows what their views are.

Nick Noble
09-May-12, 11:41
Totally agree with you gerry4, the Independent councillors should be seen as just that - Independent. there is no structure in place that can hold them to account. They are free spirits that can rightly do just as they wish.

The only just way of forming a legitimate administration for the Highland Council is for the largest group, which happens to be the SNP to form a coalition with any other parties, whether that be Labour, Liberal Democrats, or any of the 36 individual Independent members.

gerry4
10-May-12, 10:40
I thought the independent councillors on here would of responded but I see not

Alrock
10-May-12, 10:44
I thought the independent councillors on here would of responded but I see not

Too busy arguing with each other over what they actually stand for...

Nick Noble
10-May-12, 11:03
There are some excellent independent councillors on the Highland Council, and fulfil a vital role, my only argument with them being considered as the largest "group" in terms of forming the administration is that they are the 36 smallest groups (of 1) and therefore should not be negotiating en bloc.

Had the SNP or any other party been able to present to the 36 independent members a plan for an administration to which those 36 had individually been happy to sign up then I guess they should have formed an administration. However I would then have been looking very carefully at what they had agreed, and questioning the true independence of each and everyone that signed up to a political parties agenda.

Thankfully the three political parties have been able to come to an accommodation, and doubtless with a strong opposition of independent minded councillors to keep them on their toes we should see a good strong administration working for the benefit of all the highlands without too much party politics and plenty of local guidance.

Looking at the bigger picture I think we might have elected a rather good council!

Kodiak
10-May-12, 12:03
There are some excellent independent councillors on the Highland Council, and fulfil a vital role, my only argument with them being considered as the largest "group" in terms of forming the administration is that they are the 36 smallest groups (of 1) and therefore should not be negotiating en bloc.

Had the SNP or any other party been able to present to the 36 independent members a plan for an administration to which those 36 had individually been happy to sign up then I guess they should have formed an administration. However I would then have been looking very carefully at what they had agreed, and questioning the true independence of each and everyone that signed up to a political parties agenda.

Thankfully the three political parties have been able to come to an accommodation, and doubtless with a strong opposition of independent minded councillors to keep them on their toes we should see a good strong administration working for the benefit of all the highlands without too much party politics and plenty of local guidance.

Looking at the bigger picture I think we might have elected a rather good council!

Simply put, "Independent" and "Party" are two words that do Not go together. You are either one or the other and you can not be a Party and Independent at the same time.

Gronnuck
10-May-12, 12:23
I welcome the 'independence' of the independent councillors for this is democracy at work. Many people have been getting increasingly irritated by party politics, where local councillors are tied to their 'heid office' which is usually remote and out of touch with local needs and opinions. The parties will form their groups but will increasingly be held to account by our 'independents'. They, by their very nature will be better positioned to improvise, adapt and in some cases change a variety of policy decisions.

Duncansby
10-May-12, 13:24
The number of independents elected, clear indication of the electorates dissatisfaction with the main political parties? But then there's always been a history of independents being elected in the highlands and islands where people tend to vote for the person not the party.

ywindythesecond
11-May-12, 00:43
Nobody who voted has got what they wanted from this election. I prophesy doom and gloom for the proposed coalition. We should go back to first past the post. Then if they don't perform you can unelect them. How do you unelect a coalition you didn't vote for?

Fly
11-May-12, 23:01
Party politics should not come into local authority elections. All should be independent as it used to be.

gerry4
12-May-12, 11:00
I do believe that more power should come back to the Councils, so much has been taken from them. If we ever went down the routine in England even education would be removed from council control.

The problem with Independents is that on their own they have no power and need to group together. Then you have no real control over group. Mind you once in you have voted for a party you very little control over what that party does. There is no trust left in politics.

gollach
12-May-12, 11:36
It was the Press & Journal coverage of this that caught my eye. They had quotes from some newly elected councillors, referring to some as "Senior Independent Councillor". How can they be "senior" if they don't belong to an organisation?

Kodiak
12-May-12, 12:09
It was the Press & Journal coverage of this that caught my eye. They had quotes from some newly elected councillors, referring to some as "Senior Independent Councillor". How can they be "senior" if they don't belong to an organisation?

By "Senior" perhaps they are just being polite and really mean "O.A.P."

secrets in symmetry
12-May-12, 13:42
It was the Press & Journal coverage of this that caught my eye. They had quotes from some newly elected councillors, referring to some as "Senior Independent Councillor". How can they be "senior" if they don't belong to an organisation?Given that he was Chairman of the Education, Culture and Sport Committee in the last administration, I think you could call the forum's very own Bill Fernie a Senior Independent Councillor.