PDA

View Full Version : In the unlikely event......

smithp
09-Apr-12, 19:42
In the unlikely event of a Conservative win in the council elections for Wick will the lad be give be given time off to do his GCSE's or attend to his paper round?

I suppose all politicians are looking younger to me now!

John Little
09-Apr-12, 20:00
Nope - entirely logical question...

ducati
09-Apr-12, 20:51
That's what we need! young, dynamic....

smithp
09-Apr-12, 21:31

in bed before nine!

John Little
09-Apr-12, 21:58
6th form economics like Masters Osborne and Cameron...

Rheghead
09-Apr-12, 22:19
Whatever next? Pitt the Embryo?

ywindythesecond
10-Apr-12, 00:17
The Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party Conference voted unanimously for a moratorium on onshore windfarm development a couple of weeks ago. Something to vote Conservative for. I was very impressed at the range of ages at the Conference. Lots of young people, and older young people, as well as typecast much older people. There was quite a buzz about the place. The message from Conference was that Salmond wasn't going to get it easy on the devolution debate.

RecQuery
10-Apr-12, 08:12
I find it hard to tell the difference between Conservative party conferences and care homes. Actually it's more like a D&D monster book, like I'm seeing Lichs, Wrights and Ghouls. I'll just say "That is not dead which can eternal lie. Yet with strange aeons even death may die."

Regarding the age of candidates I think we need to strike a decent balance. You want a candidate with some experience of the 'real' world, not just a guy going straight from university into some party job or internship then into running for political jobs. You also don't want someone too old as they could potentially be out of touch, tired, set in their ways etc.

tonkatojo
10-Apr-12, 09:19

Like this character eh ?. Can you believe they actually allowed this and the likes to govern us. Please read ( not for the joke section) http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17661011 but don't worry he's going to fix it LOL Tommy Cooper springs to mind, sorry Tommy.

John Little
10-Apr-12, 09:22
If he's shocked by that then he is unbelievably naive and quite unfit for his job.

You need a wise old fox in that post.

Nigel Shelton
10-Apr-12, 09:52
Being white invaders dont know who stands for what inthis beautiful nation of yours, All I do know is what I read in papers and Mr Salmond and his party dont impress much This thread therefore was very interesting and has made up my mind!!!

RecQuery
10-Apr-12, 10:02
Like this character eh ?. Can you believe they actually allowed this and the likes to govern us. Please read ( not for the joke section) http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17661011 but don't worry he's going to fix it LOL Tommy Cooper springs to mind, sorry Tommy.

All I can think is that he's either lying or is just that out of touch.

John Little
10-Apr-12, 10:03
"The Conservative Party is the party of great vested interests...corruption at home, aggression abroad to cover it up... sentiment by the bucketful, patriotism by the Imperial Pint; the open hand at the public exchequer, the open hand at the public house; dear food for the millions, cheap labour for the millionaire..."

Winston Churchill.

Corrie 3
10-Apr-12, 10:06
Being white invaders dont know who stands for what inthis beautiful nation of yours, All I do know is what I read in papers and Mr Salmond and his party dont impress much This thread therefore was very interesting and has made up my mind!!!
It's nice to know that you will be the third person in Caithness to vote Tory!!
What a waste of 3 votes!!

C3................:roll:;)

Humerous Vegetable
10-Apr-12, 11:09
It's nice to know that you will be the third person in Caithness to vote Tory!!
What a waste of 3 votes!!

C3................:roll:;)

Surely there are more than 3 farmers in Caithness?

RecQuery
10-Apr-12, 11:12
"The Conservative Party is the party of great vested interests...corruption at home, aggression abroad to cover it up... sentiment by the bucketful, patriotism by the Imperial Pint; the open hand at the public exchequer, the open hand at the public house; dear food for the millions, cheap labour for the millionaire..."

Winston Churchill.

It's the hypocrisy that really gets to me, like the outcry and threats of resignation when Osborne's said that he'd be quite happy to force MPs or at least Cabinet Ministers to publish their tax returns. This is after all the same people who said regarding Internet surveillance and other forms of monitoring that if you've got nothing to hide then why should you be worried.

golach
10-Apr-12, 11:24
"The Conservative Party is the party of great vested interests...corruption at home, aggression abroad to cover it up... sentiment by the bucketful, patriotism by the Imperial Pint; the open hand at the public exchequer, the open hand at the public house; dear food for the millions, cheap labour for the millionaire..."Winston Churchill.

Winston was not always a tory, he kept changing parties, but the Good Folks of Dundee saw through him and chased him back south in 1922
"Shortly before polling day Churchill had been stricken with appendicitis, which limited his campaigning. He finished fourth behind a Prohibitionist, a Labourite and a local Liberal, and later wrote: "I found myself without an office, without a seat, without a party and without an appendix."

squidge
10-Apr-12, 14:09
There is no hope for any of the parties they are all a complete shambles. I know that I have still not decided about independence but to be honest I cannot bring myself to vote for aparty whose leader is as inept as Ruth Davidson - todays news is

http://www.newsnetscotland.com/index.php/scottish-politics/4754-more-blunders-from-tory-leader-ruth-davidson-as-she-is-corrected-on-live-radio-by-caller

I would forgive her for being ill prepared once but to be ill prepared as many times as she has been smacks of either a lack of suitability for the job she is doing or a couldnt care less attitude. I just think she is too young and too inexperienced to act as a leader who will give the conservative party the kick in the pants that it needs.

And then we have this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17661011 How on earth is he shocked? I am not shocked! I am not surprised and I am not the chancellor. Has he been walking around in cloud cuckoo land? Shocked - All my eye and peggy martin.

Labour are - to my endless regret - no better. We had a story which suggests that when they set up the automatic response thing from their party website to the Scottish government consultation website they also set it up to send a copy to the labour party itself. This breaks so many rules it raises the question of the competency of those running these things. We now have this

http://www.newsnetscotland.com/index.php/scottish-politics/4734-writs-served-on-two-labour-councillors

They have NO IDEA what they are doing! Add to this the carry on with the labour members on Glasgow Council and you have to think they have lost the plot.

The lib-dems have coalitioned themselves into oblivion http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/lib-dems-in-disarray-as-fewer-candidates-contest-elections-7627007.html It appears that no one knows what they stand for any more.

And so the SNP. Who knows? They appear to be the only vaguely credible party left. Alright there is the "cup of tea" gate but these things pale into insignificance in the face of the utter shambles that the other three main parties are offering the electorate.

Disappointing.

RecQuery
10-Apr-12, 14:23
There is no hope for any of the parties they are all a complete shambles. I know that I have still not decided about independence but to be honest I cannot bring myself to vote for aparty whose leader is as inept as Ruth Davidson - todays news is

http://www.newsnetscotland.com/index.php/scottish-politics/4754-more-blunders-from-tory-leader-ruth-davidson-as-she-is-corrected-on-live-radio-by-caller

I would forgive her for being ill prepared once but to be ill prepared as many times as she has been smacks of either a lack of suitability for the job she is doing or a couldnt care less attitude. I just think she is too young and too inexperienced to act as a leader who will give the conservative party the kick in the pants that it needs.

And then we have this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17661011 How on earth is he shocked? I am not shocked! I am not surprised and I am not the chancellor. Has he been walking around in cloud cuckoo land? Shocked - All my eye and peggy martin.

Labour are - to my endless regret - no better. We had a story which suggests that when they set up the automatic response thing from their party website to the Scottish government consultation website they also set it up to send a copy to the labour party itself. This breaks so many rules it raises the question of the competency of those running these things. We now have this

http://www.newsnetscotland.com/index.php/scottish-politics/4734-writs-served-on-two-labour-councillors

They have NO IDEA what they are doing! Add to this the carry on with the labour members on Glasgow Council and you have to think they have lost the plot.

The lib-dems have coalitioned themselves into oblivion http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/lib-dems-in-disarray-as-fewer-candidates-contest-elections-7627007.html It appears that no one knows what they stand for any more.

And so the SNP. Who knows? They appear to be the only vaguely credible party left. Alright there is the "cup of tea" gate but these things pale into insignificance in the face of the utter shambles that the other three main parties are offering the electorate.

Disappointing.

Ruth Davidson is pretty bad, Murdo Fraser would have been a much better choice for Scottish Conservative leader in my opinion. The Conservatives in the coalition government seem to be getting more out of touch as they go on. Also another Ayrshire Council thing, they seem to be falling apart. I think it's the same council authority that lost track of £1.4 million recently. That cup-of-tea-gate thing (I dislike how the media suffixes gate to everything) was a standard smear story, a storm in a teacup you could say.

Nigel Shelton
10-Apr-12, 23:33
At least I can make up my own decision, A flock of sheep comes to mind.

squidge
11-Apr-12, 00:33
I dont really understand what you are meaning Nigel.:confused

sk02rfo
13-Apr-12, 12:00
Rab C Nesbitt lookaliky as well in wick "I'll tell ya this boy"

squidge
13-Apr-12, 13:14
Tell you what - i dont beleive what I read sometimes

http://www.northern-times.co.uk/News/Row-over-Torys-split-vote-tactics-13042012.htm

Thats just awful, Standing for office should be a priviledge... imagine how you would feel if you were truly committed to your community and you stand for the council and knock doors and work really hard and then you lose by 50 votes when this clown gets 150? Its disrespectful in the extreme.

RecQuery
13-Apr-12, 13:37
Rab C Nesbitt lookaliky as well in wick "I'll tell ya this boy"

Personally I think it's better to attack someones position instead of the person themselves.

Tell you what - i dont beleive what I read sometimes

http://www.northern-times.co.uk/News/Row-over-Torys-split-vote-tactics-13042012.htm

Thats just awful, Standing for office should be a priviledge... imagine how you would feel if you were truly committed to your community and you stand for the council and knock doors and work really hard and then you lose by 50 votes when this clown gets 150? Its disrespectful in the extreme.

Look at it this way, it's a rather pathetic tactic that will only the Conservatives in the long run and shows how desperate they are.

Duncansby
13-Apr-12, 14:06
It's interesting that there is such a hint of negativity and ridicule directed towards a young candidate but perhaps not surprising. Perhaps what people should remember is that we live in a democracy and as such the politicians we elect should represent every demographic. Therefore, why shouldn't a young person stand and have their voice heard! We need to be encouraging young people to take an active part in the governance of our country and not ridicule them for wanting to stand up and have their voice heard. Honestly, it seems sometimes that young people can do nothing right!

squidge
13-Apr-12, 14:25
At least the young guy standing for the tories here is a real candidate and he stands for something - whether you agree with his politics or not is immaterial. Local government should be the politics of the local people and not subjected to the political machinations of the parties for reasopns other than making sure local voices are heard.

ducati
13-Apr-12, 14:33
At least the young guy standing for the tories here is a real candidate and he stands for something - whether you agree with his politics or not is immaterial. Local government should be the politics of the local people and not subjected to the political machinations of the parties for reasopns other than making sure local voices are heard.

ALL parties have a right to field candidates. All people who want to and can garner the required support can stand. I find it repulsive in the extreme this attitude. Would you deny any voter the right to vote for a candidate they can support?
You are forever going on about democracy and fairness.

You may like to think that people vote on local issues. I'm afraid your are in some idyllic world of your own. How very dare you! [disgust]

squidge
13-Apr-12, 14:51
I dare because I care Ducati . Anyone SHOULD be able to stand and had this mannie decided to stand from his own personal viewpoint I would have no issue with this but for political parties to deliberately seek out candidates who have no interest in the area they are standing in and who by their own account dont want to win. If this man cared about the area and felt so strongly that he wanted to stand to prevent candidates he disapproved of from securing a victory i wouldnt be critical. However fir a politucal party to trawl around fir people then allocate them to a seat simply to manipulate the vote is not on and im surprised you can defend it.

Idyllic, well Ducati you taje your otrage at my extremism to the tory party and they can find you a platform to support them and meanwhile i'll take my idealism and go visit my elderly neighbours who rely on me for their social life (and dinner) since their day centre was shut.

RecQuery
13-Apr-12, 15:25
ALL parties have a right to field candidates. All people who want to and can garner the required support can stand. I find it repulsive in the extreme this attitude. Would you deny any voter the right to vote for a candidate they can support?
You are forever going on about democracy and fairness.

You may like to think that people vote on local issues. I'm afraid your are in some idyllic world of your own. How very dare you! [disgust]

Quoting from the article:

The Northern Times caught up with Mr Mason earlier this week at his home in Drumnadrochit.

A lifelong Tory supporter, the former industrial chemist moved North on retirement in 1986.

And he was quite frank about his candidature. He said: "Someone in Edinburgh at the top of the party phoned me up and asked if I would like to help them out. I emphasised I would – but only if they could guarantee that I would not win!"

Mr Mason said: "Alex Dickson must be an SNP supporter. That’s why people like me have been asked to stand, not because we have any hope of winning but to split the vote and reduce the chance of the SNP getting in. That’s the Tory strategy."

Mr Mason continued: "I did offer to go up to North, West and Central Sutherland but the party bosses said there was no need to. They told me to do nothing and that was it. All they wanted was my name on the ballot paper to reduce the chances of the SNP getting in."