PDA

View Full Version : Weed/Grass Control Advice

WeeBurd
22-Mar-12, 11:30
Last year we planted mixed hedging round our garden (hawthorn/hazel/crab apple/field maple). Before planting, as per advice, we treated the grass, and lay mulch matting down, to inhibit weed and grass growth, thus allowing our whips to establish. I'm pleased to say, the plants grew well last year, and are already coming into leaf, despite it only being mid-March.

However, we have a real problem with the weeds and grass growing through along the back of our hedging from the field beyond our garden, especially as it's only a stockwire fence. I can control with strimming it to some extent just now, whilst there's little growth, but once the hedge plants start bushing out again, I can't get in about it. Very frustrating!

Is anyone aware of any weedkiller that would be safe to use near the hedging, that won't damage the hedge itself? I know it's a long shot, but I'm really not sure what else to do just now. I know that once the hedge grows bigger in a few years, it will begin to serve as a barrier itself, but whilst it's still small and establishing itself, I need to keep ontop of these darned weeds that are stealing all the nutrients, and making my fenceline very untidy! ;-)

Ballymore
22-Mar-12, 18:10
http://www.ukagriculture.com/conservation/planting_new_hedge.cfm

Hi - try this link. They suggest Kerb. It also gives a bit of info about hedge planting etc.

WeeBurd
22-Mar-12, 23:39
Thanks, Ballymore, I shall check that stuff out. I didn't realise Roundup could be used too. Thanks again, super help! :)

Ballymore
23-Mar-12, 15:40
You're welcome!

billmoseley
23-Mar-12, 22:18
don't let round up touch the leaves. get a pair of rubber gloves and a paint bus and paint it on the grass and weeds sounds silly but then you only get it on the plants you want. Should have taken my own advice last year round the wife's new raspberry bushes or dead twigs as they are now known lolol