PDA

View Full Version : Caithness-based actors & actresses wanted

groommichaelj
20-Mar-12, 12:16
I'm planning to direct a short film or two in Caithness (perhaps Sutherland) this summer.

I've got a proven track record in working in the British film industry, having worked in it since 2003. This short film will be made with no budget whatsoever, so any work you do will be for experience only. That said, I am a screenwriter with one feature film already released and more in development. Since spending a lot of time in Caithness I fully intend to use the area to film full-length features in the future: features with a budget. If this happens, I will of course go back to the actors I'll be working with on the short films.

I'm looking for any actors and actresses of all ages that are based in or near Caithness and would like to appear in a short film (or two), which will be submitted to many film festivals.

I have a few ideas on the subject of the short, but the final film will be dependent upon which actors apply.

If you are interested please email me on rydalfilms@gmail.com (groommichaelj@hotmail.com) with a bit about yourself, ideally a photo and your experience (if any).

Many thanks.

Kodiak
20-Mar-12, 13:32
What Medium and Format will you be filing in? Will you using your own Equipment or will you be Hiring? Is it only Actors that you require or do you also require Crew as well? IE Like all Grips, Gaffer, Best Boy, Foley Artist etc etc.

Have you a Location set in mind or even arranged? Do have a script and a Director lined up?

This is only scratching the surface but should all be in place before even thinking of Casting.

groommichaelj
20-Mar-12, 14:27
Thank you for the film-making 101 lesson from Kodiak there, but ultimately you're wrong. All the things you said need to be in place before casting, and all those things lying beneath the surface, are NOT put in place before casting.

Like I say, having worked extensively in filmmaking in the UK: I know what I'm doing. The principle cast is very often the first thing to fall into place. I've worked on films where I've been the 4th or 5th crew member hired (out of an eventual crew of 200) and seen first-hand that the principle cast is always the first people to be hired. The first parts of a film's pre-production is to secure a cast and a small production team. THEN come locations and scheduling etc. Many weeks later comes the rest of the crew, often just before a film actually goes into production (the filming stage).

I will be hiring equipment. I have extensive contacts in London and Scotland for this.

I will be filming digitally in a format to be decided upon by the director of photography and myself.

I'll be using a very small professional crew - people form the industry that I've worked with before. I will be using nautral light for the most part so will not need a gaffer, or a best boy. Any lights that we will be using, the director of photography and myself will be fully adept with. A foley artist is only ever hired in post-production and is never, ever on set. I'm not even thinking of foley yet, and nor would Speilberg be at this stage. I wonder if Kodiak even knows what a foley artist is.

I have various locations in mind and am fully aware of the correct avenues to go down should I want to use those locations. Like I said, I plan to film in the summer. That gives me plenty of pre-production time to arrange such things. But first I need to know if there are any actors in Caithness to utilise.

I will be writing and directing and have experience in both. The script will be born out of the actors that I have available in Caithness. Many scripts change and alter once casting has happened and in direct response to casting. Like I said in my original post, I have many ideas for a short in Caithness, and the eventual script will be born out of the actors I have available.

I wasn't going to even bother replying to this pith, but I want to assure any seriously interested people that I know exactly what I'm doing. I'd like only serious responses from potential actors - not patronising, negative comments that reveal more about the ignorance of the responder than myself. Perhaps Kodiak thought he was only trying to help, but I think we can all see from his condescending tone that this is unlikely.

Yon Chiel
20-Mar-12, 14:49
Did you have the job of 'floor runner' in the 2005 film "A Cock & Bull Story" ?

groommichaelj
20-Mar-12, 14:59
Yes that was one of the first films I worked on back in 2004 (released 2005).

I've since worked as an assistant director on numerous other films and TV series.

Yon Chiel
20-Mar-12, 15:04
I've since worked as an assistant director on numerous other films and TV series.I see one of your other films was "Dogging: A Love Story (Public Sex)" http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi1430979097 Will your new film be set on location at the South Head car park ?

groommichaelj
20-Mar-12, 15:08
No. It won't.

Any useful responses please?

Tilly Teckel
20-Mar-12, 17:33
Dontcha just love the org?! :eek:

I've PMd you - it's the only way to get a sensible conversation on here.

Alrock
20-Mar-12, 17:37
Any Connection to Blue Chelle Productions (http://www.bluechelleltd.co.uk/)?

david
20-Mar-12, 18:47
I see one of your other films was "Dogging: A Love Story (Public Sex)" http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi1430979097 Will your new film be set on location at the South Head car park ?

Starring " PC McConnachie" in the lead role?

Kodiak
21-Mar-12, 00:07
So to put it in a Nutshell :-

You have No Script, No Cast, No Crew, No Equipment, No Location, No Finance and you intend to start filming this Summer, that is in about 4 months time.

So not much chance of you winning the Palme d'Or then in 2013.

DeHaviLand
21-Mar-12, 02:23
So to put it in a Nutshell :-

You have No Script, No Cast, No Crew, No Equipment, No Location, No Finance and you intend to start filming this Summer, that is in about 4 months time.

So not much chance of you winning the Palme d'Or then in 2013.

And you, Kodiak, have no idea, as usual!

OP, good luck with your filming.

Yon Chiel
21-Mar-12, 09:32
Any Connection to Blue Chelle Productions (http://www.bluechelleltd.co.uk/)?Seems like more of a connection with Blue Movie productions if the online reviews of his "dogging" film are anything to go by. http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=26001

bcsman
21-Mar-12, 09:39
Good luck on this project,i hope you find what you are looking for and get all the support you require.
Kodiak needs to grow up and get a life

groommichaelj
21-Mar-12, 10:58
Many thanks to all the well-wishers.

Kodiak really is one sad, sarcastic old ex-lighthouse keeper isn't he? Showing his blatant ignorance on this subject again: you don't win the Palme d'Or for short films. I hope he finds the light inside himself and stops being so hateful, bitter and twisted. That goes for the other negative poster too - I see his comments on other threads are as equally aggressive. There's some really sad people out there.

I'll be in touch with all those that have shown interest so far, and any others who do so henceforth.

Oh, and I have nothing to do with Blue Chelle Productions but thanks for the link - I wasn't aware of them.

donnick
21-Mar-12, 12:58
Hi you may wish to get intouch with the thurso players to see if there is any budding actors/actreses that may wish to get involved .Quite embarrassing how some people make a fool of themselfs on here

http://www.thursoplayers.org.uk/

thirsaloon
21-Mar-12, 14:38
Good luck, if it can promote Caithness and show the area in a good light then go for it, who knows there might be the possibility of future work in the area. Ignore the typical sarcastic comments on here; you seem to have enough experience to know what you’re doing. Rather than criticise from the comfort of their chair in typical trolling fashion it would be far better if the critics actually did something to help or at least offer to put something back into the local community in someway than just take from it.

Sage
21-Mar-12, 18:10
Can you give us a little bit more info please? For instance you say you have track record, but there is no information available.

Once bitten and all that :)

(not a criticism, just interested)

bcsman
21-Mar-12, 18:55
good idea,could also ask the wick players as well

Hi you may wish to get intouch with the thurso players to see if there is any budding actors/actreses that may wish to get involved .Quite embarrassing how some people make a fool of themselfs on here

http://www.thursoplayers.org.uk/

groommichaelj
21-Mar-12, 20:40
Thanks for the further positive replies and messages of support.

I'll certainly look up both the Thurso and Wick Players - so thanks, Donnick and bcsman.

Sage: in response, I've sent you a private message with a list of the films I've worked on and the companies that I have stuff in development with.

I promise to be in touch with everyone who has private messaged me.

bcsman
21-Mar-12, 20:46
This can only be good for caithness,i wish you all the best and Maybe Kodiak will move back to his lighthouse with his negative attitude

Thanks for the further positive replies and messages of support.

I'll certainly look up both the Thurso and Wick Players - so thanks, Donnick and bcsman.

Sage: in response, I've sent you a private message with a list of the films I've worked on and the companies that I have stuff in development with.

I promise to be in touch with everyone who has private messaged me.

mcconnachie
22-Mar-12, 17:02
May I wish you are the best in your efforts. I would love to be in a film but am also interested in the behind the scenes stuff. Screenwriting and novel writing would be my dream job. You are a lucky man.

Yo yo David my man! You even spelled my name correctly so you've written it down somewhere I guess. Its heartening to think that 5000 years from now future humans will find 'PC MCCONNACHIE' scratched on a cave wall near Halkirk. Keep posting though. What a laugh I get.

The man's trying to contribute to the arts. Give him some support.

david
22-Mar-12, 21:21
May I wish you are the best in your efforts. I would love to be in a film but am also interested in the behind the scenes stuff. Screenwriting and novel writing would be my dream job. You are a lucky man.

Yo yo David my man! You even spelled my name correctly so you've written it down somewhere I guess. Its heartening to think that 5000 years from now future humans will find 'PC MCCONNACHIE' scratched on a cave wall near Halkirk. Keep posting though. What a laugh I get.

The man's trying to contribute to the arts. Give him some support.

So if your really a Police Constable. whats your constable no then?

katarina
24-Mar-12, 12:20
why not get directly in touch with the Wick or thurso Players. Plenty of good actors there.

secrets in symmetry
24-Mar-12, 13:45
Kodiak really is one sad, sarcastic old ex-lighthouse keeper isn't he? Showing his blatant ignorance on this subject again: you don't win the Palme d'Or for short films. I hope he finds the light inside himself and stops being so hateful, bitter and twisted. That goes for the other negative poster too - I see his comments on other threads are as equally aggressive. There's some really sad people out there.Lol! I enjoyed reading that - although you shouldn't hold back so much in your next one! :cool:

I think there's a bit more to Yon Chiel than he's getting credit for.

I'll be in touch with all those that have shown interest so far, and any others who do so henceforth.Good luck with your casting exercise, and I hope the film is a great success.

Mystical Potato Head
24-Mar-12, 22:37
Many thanks to all the well-wishers.

Kodiak really is one sad, sarcastic old ex-lighthouse keeper isn't he? Showing his blatant ignorance on this subject again: you don't win the Palme d'Or for short films. I hope he finds the light inside himself and stops being so hateful, bitter and twisted.

There is light inside himself,it just shines out his backside though.That must be the price you pay for knowing everything and never being wrong.

golach
24-Mar-12, 22:40
There is light inside himself,it just shines out his backside though.That must be the price you pay for knowing everything and never being wrong.

Me thinks the pot is calling the kettle black!

bcsman
24-Mar-12, 22:43
i could'nt agree more MPH

Mystical Potato Head
24-Mar-12, 23:02
Me thinks the pot is calling the kettle black!

Well you wouldnt be able to see what colour the kettle was because your head is burried up Kodiaks backside.

golach
24-Mar-12, 23:05
Well you wouldnt be able to see what colour the kettle was because your head is burried up Kodiaks backside.
LMAO Is that the best you can come up with?

Mystical Potato Head
24-Mar-12, 23:11
Is that the best you can come up with?

You've come out for some air then?

golach
25-Mar-12, 00:58
You've come out for some air then?

Get back under your bridge you troll and cyber bully

mcconnachie
30-Mar-12, 14:24
So if your really a Police Constable. whats your constable no then?

This individual appears to believe that I am a real Police officer as he contacted Wick Police Office to complain about my posts on the Org. Through details passed to an officer 'David' confirmed that he has been speaking with and swapping information regarding me with others. I am a Police officer and work within the community as part of the community - with their consent. While I fully support Police accountability I will not accept organised and prolonged harassment online or otherwise. I have a right to exist and the skills to debate. However, this individual is using the medium of the Org to bully and when replied to 'runs' to my employers crying foul and wishing me subject to misconduct proceedings. The same people who shout from the ramparts regarding free speech and human rights wish Police officers to be silent targets for their ire. It is now the case that Police officers are advised to avoid forums, Facebook, and other social media for the fear that a disgruntled malcontent will obtain information that will discredit the service. Consequently, the Police socially 'lie low' to avoid investigation or stirring up people and groups with anti-Police agendas. So much for existing within society!!

For your information
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/asp/2010/13/section/39/enacted

Please read subsection 6d. It has particular relevance.

squidge
30-Mar-12, 14:43
Do you know sometimes people make me want to hand my head in shame and disbeleif.

david
30-Mar-12, 15:00
This individual appears to believe that I am a real Police officer as he contacted Wick Police Office to complain about my posts on the Org. Through details passed to an officer 'David' confirmed that he has been speaking with and swapping information regarding me with others. I am a Police officer and work within the community as part of the community - with their consent. While I fully support Police accountability I will not accept organised and prolonged harassment online or otherwise. I have a right to exist and the skills to debate. However, this individual is using the medium of the Org to bully and when replied to 'runs' to my employers crying foul and wishing me subject to misconduct proceedings. The same people who shout from the ramparts regarding free speech and human rights wish Police officers to be silent targets for their ire. It is now the case that Police officers are advised to avoid forums, Facebook, and other social media for the fear that a disgruntled malcontent will obtain information that will discredit the service. Consequently, the Police socially 'lie low' to avoid investigation or stirring up people and groups with anti-Police agendas. So much for existing within society!!

For your information
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/asp/2010/13/section/39/enacted

Please read subsection 6d. It has particular relevance.

Well it would appear you are who you say you are, despite this being contradicted in a previous post some months ago. I contacted the Police because I thought it was strange behaviour that a serving officer would take the time out to find where an individual lived because of posts made on this forum and I honestly thought someone must be trying to impersonate an officer-which I understand is a crime. I have had over time many disagreements on different issues on this forum as I am sure you will be aware, however I don't spend my time trying to find out where these individuals live etc as it is no business of mine and I have no interest in their abode. It concerns me that a serving officer would spend his time with this, perhaps given your position it would indeed be better if you avoided situations where you give away the fact that your a Police Constable on a public forum, only you gave these details out freely. I did not wish or ask for misconduct proceedings, I was even offered a visit to make a statement which I declined as at the end of the day there was no proof that you were a PC. Infact there is still none...

squidge
30-Mar-12, 15:36
Well it would appear you are who you say you are, despite this being contradicted in a previous post some months ago.... I contacted the Police because I thought it was strange behaviour that a serving officer would take the time out to find where an individual lived because of posts made on this forum ... Where? I have looked at the posts and I cant find anything that suggests this was going on.

and I honestly thought someone must be trying to impersonate an officer-which I understand is a crime. ...

dont beleive you. The only reason for someone to contact someone's employers over forum posts is to cause mischief and get someone they have decided they dont like into trouble. Crumbs David do you think our heads button up the back?

I have had over time many disagreements on different issues on this forum as I am sure you will be aware, however I don't spend my time trying to find out where these individuals live etc as it is no business of mine and I have no interest in their abode. It concerns me that a serving officer would spend his time with this, perhaps given your position it would indeed be better if you avoided situations where you give away the fact that your a Police Constable on a public forum, only you gave these details out freely. I did not wish or ask for misconduct proceedings, I was even offered a visit to make a statement which I declined as at the end of the day there was no proof that you were a PC. Infact there is still none...

Then what was the flaming point? You wanted to know who he/she is for your own agenda - I have no idea why that would be- not for anything other than that. Its mean spirited and an example of the worst behaviour you see on this forum at times. Fancy doing that .... I just dont get it.

mcconnachie
30-Mar-12, 15:52
Some points of clarification:

1) By contacting the Police you risk initiating misconduct on some level. Statement or not.
2) You are not significant enough for me to spend time finding out who/where/what you are. A friend from the Org mentioned that you lived in Halkirk. No choppers over the cottage I'm afraid. No use of police systems either.
3) My username is 'mcconnachie' not 'pc mcconnachie'. Even so, it's nice to know that a cop can engage. I like beer, films and even buy toilet paper! I volunteered my position in context during a Police debate. That does not deserve ongoing harassment.

I'm a free thinker and approachable. I have had a photo of me posted on the Org. I have had people trying to access my Facebook to attempt to get pics of me and my family. I've had someone threaten to photograph my house and family for newspapers based on posts here. Is that proportionate when I all I did was say I was a PC on the Org? Human Rights?

Leave me alone or I will pursue this. Online insults are one thing but this has went far enough. I will not tolerate vexatious and malicious complaints any longer.

david
30-Mar-12, 16:10
Some points of clarification:

1) By contacting the Police you risk initiating misconduct on some level. Statement or not.
2) You are not significant enough for me to spend time finding out who/where/what you are. A friend from the Org mentioned that you lived in Halkirk. No choppers over the cottage I'm afraid. No use of police systems either.
3) My username is 'mcconnachie' not 'pc mcconnachie'. Even so, it's nice to know that a cop can engage. I like beer, films and even buy toilet paper! I volunteered my position in context during a Police debate. That does not deserve ongoing harassment.

I'm a free thinker and approachable. I have had a photo of me posted on the Org. I have had people trying to access my Facebook to attempt to get pics of me and my family. I've had someone threaten to photograph my house and family for newspapers based on posts here. Is that proportionate when I all I did was say I was a PC on the Org? Human Rights?

Leave me alone or I will pursue this. Online insults are one thing but this has went far enough. I will not tolerate vexatious and malicious complaints any longer.

Ditto the above sentence. End of.

mcconnachie
30-Mar-12, 19:02
That's appreciated. Thanks.

Phill
30-Mar-12, 23:09
Awwwwww!!

Look, a thread on the .Org where they kissed and made up.

Bless.

bcsman
31-Mar-12, 06:21
yes,im very glad those 2 have buried the hatchet,now,any update on the original post????

bcsman
28-Aug-12, 09:05
Many thanks to you Mike Groom and all cast and crew for making this short film in Caithness,it was a pleasure to be involved with such polite and professional people and i will always be grateful for this chance to be part of the crew of this film.
I wish this film all the success it deserves
cheers