PDA

View Full Version : Outlook 2007 wont recognise it's own .PST File

Anfield
19-Mar-12, 12:53
I recently upgraded from32 bit XP Pro to 64 bit Windows 7, and am having problems restoring my E-mail accounts.
Before changing over I backed up (copied onto an external HDD) all my data files and have copied everything back over, with the exception of my Outlook file.

When I reinstalled Outlook, via MS Office Enterprise 2007, I changed the location of its data file so that it could open my Outlook.pst files but I am getting the message "The file G:\outlook.pst is not a personal folders file"

I also tried to import using the "Import/Export" menu but get the same message

Does anyone know how I can get my e-mail a/c's back?

Cheers

DKTC
19-Mar-12, 14:37
Hi Anfield

Can you tell me how your email was prevoiusly configured, either POP3 or IMAP?

DKTC

Anfield
19-Mar-12, 15:02
Hi Anfield

Can you tell me how your email was prevoiusly configured, either POP3 or IMAP?

DKTC

There were 4 accounts, all configured POP3

RecQuery
20-Mar-12, 09:22
Try this:

Go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12 (if you've got a 64-bit system it might be in the other Program Files directory) and double-click on the item called SCANPST, this is a utility that will scan and repair PST files, it will make a backup before making any changes so don't worry. I recommend running a scan 3 or 4 times are one repair can reveal other problems.

If you can't find it for whatever reason, trying searching for scanpst.exe

If that doesn't work try going to File-> Open-> Outlook Data File

Anfield
20-Mar-12, 11:17
Try this:

Go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12 (if you've got a 64-bit system it might be in the other Program Files directory) and double-click on the item called SCANPST, this is a utility that will scan and repair PST files, it will make a backup before making any changes so don't worry. I recommend running a scan 3 or 4 times are one repair can reveal other problems.

If you can't find it for whatever reason, trying searching for scanpst.exe

If that doesn't work try going to File-> Open-> Outlook Data File

Tried that but got message that repair tool did not recognise file.

Also got similar message from File-> Open-> Outlook Data File

RecQuery
20-Mar-12, 12:31
Is it perhaps an OST and not a PST file?

Try running the SCANOST utility - in the same directory - and see if it picks it up.

EDIT: You may need to rename the file to outlook.ost for it to be picked up by the SCANOST utility,

DKTC
20-Mar-12, 12:45
I do not think you will find an OST file unles you connect to an Exchange Server.

Anfield
20-Mar-12, 13:26
Thanks RecQuery & DKTC, I have now resolved issue.
I was searching forums for solution and come across this one
I (http://www.techrepublic.com/article/repair-corrupt-outlook-pst-files-with-two-microsoft-utilities/1052339) renamed file, ran scanpst, which then recognised the file and repaired it. I then renamed it to original name and copied it to the directory which I use and I have recovered "missing" files.

Cheers to you both

A